Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get some lightweight portable water purifier straws/filters. I came across a decent deal on some here and was wondering if anyone has used them or something similar? Do they work pretty well? I live in the rocky mountains so they would be mainly used in running river water up here, nothing stale. Any help and insight would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a life straw. Nice little tool. I took a big handful of dirt mixed it into a glass of tap water, started drinking. Tasted fine. Those straws as I recall do not purify viruses though. I think they have a larger family version that does. I personally wouldn't use this as your main way to drink water though, since there is a expiration date on the filter, its takes alot of sucking to finally drink (not too bad though) and again doesn't purify viruses, but for a camping trip its very nice and compact.

·
Great Lake Survival
24 Posts
Aquamira makes some decent filters . . . however . . .

Over at GLSC we've been testing the Sawyer line of water filters. We're just about to start offering them on our website. Tested out their product, works as described, plus it has been given the 1,000,000 gallon guarantee (with proper cleaning).

http://www.sawyer.com/water.html

They have two filtration levels:

.10 and .02 absolute micron.

The .10 is good for anything but viruses. I don't know of many "straws" that will do down the virus level. Most straws only go down to .20. Their squeeze version is what I'm impressed with. It will fit on water bottles or their supplied "pouches". They also make an "inline" version for hydration bladders.

Now on to the virus level .02 filtration. Those are the bigger units that they carry, not exactly what you're talking about for "straw" type filters, but worth noting.

Quite honestly for the return on investment, and the 1,000,000 gallon guarantee, and the fact that their filtration for non-virus filter is .10 instead of the majority of filters which are at .20 absolute microns . . . I've made the switch.

The sawyer squeeze model is in my level I survival pocket gear. We'll be carrying them for $55.

There's a lot of good straws out there, but I don't think there are any with that type of filter, that I've seen anyway.

I drank some scuzzy water with it too . . .

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I believe the Lifestraw uses similar technology as the Sawyer filters, ie hollow fiber membrane with a .2 micron rating.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LifeStraw

And for about $20-25 it's a much better straw type filter then lots of the alternatives.

I don't have any yet, but it does appeal to me for carrying in a BOB.:thumb:

·
Not playing games
1,332 Posts
They seem awfully handy, thanks for all the info, especially GLSC !

Never looked into that since there is not much call for it in rural Oregon, all I have is a bottle of those pills that take 30 minutes to work, just in case.

Am I being too optimistic?

·
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
47,178 Posts
I have the Sechelle brand straws. They work very well and have a prefilter as well as a purification filter.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I hate, hate ordering on line, for a variety of reasons.
What stores carry that stuff?
None that I know of. Best bet is to try and hit up places like ****'s sporting goods, Cabela', Walmart, camping supply stores or your local Army/ Navy store. None will have everything but might have some things or something close.

But don't expect the variety and convenience that internet shopping provides. I can google any of these things and compare prices in less then 5 minute. Order it and have it delivered for far less time, money and effort then actually trying to find them locally.

I'm not sure what you aversion to online shopping is. I've seen far more credit card theft in stores then ever occurs online. The few times I've had problem my bank has always made good on getting me my money back, even with a debit card purchase.

Reactions: budog

·
Not playing games
1,332 Posts
Its my dislike of providing them more data to mine... and the robo-calls and junk Email that inevitably follows.
Dumping the CC soon anyway.

And then there is the principle of the thing; helping the offshore E-stores annihilate my local retailers just doesn't sit well with me.
Even if the locals deserve it, sometimes....

·
Great Lake Survival
24 Posts
Actually the internet has helped me personally get in touch with more mom and pop type operations than ever before, outside my normal area of operations.

There are online stores on the east and west coasts that I would never have found otherwise . . . it ain't all bad :D:

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Portable water purifier straws
Ok, lets start with the difference between a filter and a purifier.

Filter - can not remove or kill viruses. There is a thing called a super filter that can, but super filters are expensive.

Purifier - can filter bacteria, and either removes or kills viruses.

Straws are good for when you are going to be around water all the time. Or, you want to put untreated water in a water bottle then use a straw to filter the water from the bottle.

My personal opinion, if you want a filter, then buy a filter.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Its my dislike of providing them more data to mine... and the robo-calls and junk Email that inevitably follows.

And then there is the principle of the thing; helping the offshore E-stores annihilate my local retailers just doesn't sit well with me.
Not all e-tailers are equal. I hate when I order something online and then get on-slaughted with emails and catalogs. It offends my sensibilities. But I find that is just a minority that do that, and they should know that some consumers won't purchase from them again because of it. The emails are one thing, but getting a catalog every month or two is ridiculous.

I would never sell my customer's information. In a year and a half I've only sent one "junk" email with a special offer during the holidays. No one complained.

I agree with supporting local businesses. Some items like water filters can be difficult to find locally. Online shopping can fill a very big need for those of us who live rurally.

Google shopping gives a comparison of prices for many products from all over the web and brick and mortar too. They tell you what the companies charge for shipping too. This helps as some companies will trick you with a low price and then charge a fortune for shipping. Ya just gotta shop around for the best deals and shop with your conscience and you should be good. :thumb:

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Aquamira makes some decent filters . . . however . . .

Over at GLSC we've been testing the Sawyer line of water filters. The sawyer squeeze model is in my level I survival pocket gear. We'll be carrying them for $55.
I just recieved two Sawyer Squeeze filters in the mail. One for my wife's bag, one for mine.

I got them almost free because I was able to buy them from Amazon using the "points" on one of my credit cards.

At 3 ounces for a million gallons of water I am sold. I do intend to prefilter with a coffee filter just to cut down on the frequency of back flushing.

If your company is going to sell these, I'd like to suggest that you offer a belt clip pouch that fits them and maybe even a draw srting stuff sack to fit.

That is the olny gripe I have about the filters is that they came without carrying accessory.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts

I don't get many emails from having my info sold to others. I do get some from companies I've purchased stuff from. But that's just good business.

Most of the places I buy from do have a storefront of some sort but not locally. Or local enough to justify the drive for a couple items. Plus them needing to tack on sales tax. My state doesn't have any sales tax so I'm kinda spoiled that way.

Lots of these are also mom and pop e-stores. Home business with lower overhead and few if any employees.

About the only stuff I get from offshore just can't be purchased in this country. China has a strong presence on Ebay and sells items I just can't find anywhere else.

In the end I purchase far more 'made in the USA' stuff online then going to nearby retail stores, which invariably carry mostly imported stuff.

The only 'call' I've ever gotten was from a store that got an order for several hundred dollars worth of stuff but being shipped halfway across the county. Seems someone at one of the credit card processing centers was stealing identities and between this salesperson, me and my bank they caught this person, who had stolen hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stuff.

My account was never charged but the bank set up a sting operation with the help of the store, who ultimately got all their stuff back. But they needed the person to sign for accepting delivery and them busted them.

I've seen similar things happen when I work one holiday season at a local retail chain store. They eventually caught the guy and arrested him. But these happen far more often at retail stores then through the internet sales.

·
Great Lake Survival
24 Posts
I just recieved two Sawyer Squeeze filters in the mail. One for my wife's bag, one for mine.

I got them almost free because I was able to buy them from Amazon using the "points" on one of my credit cards.

At 3 ounces for a million gallons of water I am sold. I do intend to prefilter with a coffee filter just to cut down on the frequency of back flushing.

If your company is going to sell these, I'd like to suggest that you offer a belt clip pouch that fits them and maybe even a draw srting stuff sack to fit.

That is the olny gripe I have about the filters is that they came without carrying accessory.
That's a good idea, we'll take a look at that.

For me personally, if gear isn't tied down to my vest with paracord real good or in a cargo pocket, eh, I expect to lose it in thick bush. That's me, but if we were to develope something like that, it would have to be a sturdy clip that won't be forced off the belt by branches and vines.

Not impossible, just might take some more testing. :thumb:

Another reason I like this blog, people are full of good ideas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts