Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tis the season once again to start looking for deals on fall and winter preps like thermal undies, hats, gloves, shovels, etc etc etc, blah blah blah.. Because of the most unusual freak storm we had last December (thunder & lightning followed by a massive snowstorm of Biblical proportions), i'm not taking any chances again by using and relying upon the oven and stove for heat when the electric power supply was KO'd, and i'd like to get some input, opinions and options on non-electric indoor heaters. I performed a search and came up with very little information on the subject.

Ideally i'd like to get two portable heaters; one for each bedroom at night which are approximately 12'x15' with standard 8' ceilings and one window each. The heater(s) could then be moved into the livingroom during the daytime.

Wintertime temperatures in Parts Unknown sometimes gets down into the negative digits, and stays cold until late April/early May..

Gah! I hate winter!!

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check out this http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_heaters-stoves-fireplaces+kerosene

This is the one i have, works great, heats up quickly, last a long time on one tank...

23,000 BTU Portable Kerosene Heater, Model# CV-2230
How long have you used that one for, PSY? It looks like it got mixed reviews according to that link. The price is right, and i've bought stuff from Northern before. That one would work nicely, albeit a bit on the bulky side

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,846 Posts
Approx two years now, in my insulated and finished garage/man cave/IT lab....works like a champ..never had any issues with it and bought it for the garage, and backup heat for our little 1600 sf ranch if SHTF here in charlotte, mainly ice storms in winter....

Heats up the garage quickly, which is approx 20 x 24 ' with 9-10' ceilings....I keep a fan on while it is heating up to move the heat/air around....

I would not hesitate at all to use this long term....

·
Registered
385 Posts

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same one pretty much, different company made it. It works great. I have a 1800 sq ft house and it kept everything pretty warm when our power went out. It was in the mid teens outside.
So do you think only one is needed for a small place like mine?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yeah. Leave all your bedroom doors open, and put the heater in a central location to the bedrooms. They are pretty good sized heaters, we ran ours on low. But I have to say this. Why have ONE when you can have TWO:D:

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
We have two of the portable propane heaters, I can run one of them in my Pop-up Camper and be very comfortable in temps down to 32. Did use the second one last winter hunting when it dropped below 20 overnight. It was a little chilly when I got up but not unbearable with one, may have been I had to pee real bad too. Here is a link:

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=24

·
Amos 8:11-12
543 Posts
I’d be looking for an alcohol based system. From what I have heard they produce no toxic fumes (check out marine and boat magazines). Any petroleum based system produces some toxic fumes. If you are resourceful you could make a still and produce your own alcohol for use in the stoves post SHTF.

·
In 3-D
142 Posts
I second KCChimneyman's recommendation for the MrHeater. It's indoor rated, and has an low-oxygen shut-off sensor just in case. Not only will they work with the green, camping style, propane bottles, but with an attachment (about $40) you can also attach a full sized propane tank. We've got one for winter emergencies and it hasn't failed us yet.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think that the propane Mr Heater in conjunction with a kerosene heater like PSYOPS suggested would be a good combination in case one of the types of fuels becomes hard to get.

·
Banned
807 Posts
ok i thought someone would have posted this. i dont know if this would help you but it works great. get a metal folgers can and place a toliet paper rool in it and pour a bottle of rubbing alcohol on it and light it burns clean and it provides a decent ammount of heat. we use them in deer blinds and they get realy toasty.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts