Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I deal in lead
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, like most people, are planning on defending my homestead to the last drop of blood, BUT, if I had to bug out, how the hell am I supposed to carry my ammo??! Has anybody thought about how to transport ammo cans?? Im thinkin the worst... so it would be WITHOUT an automobile. I have all the gear to wear and can hold multiple clips on my person but how do I go about transporting large supplies of ammo??(ammo cans)

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,434 Posts
Large amounts of ammo and bugging out on foot just aren't compatible with each other. There's only so much you can carry. And ideally, carrying less than that amount is a better option for mobility.

Caching might be of help. Or prepositioning it at your BOL. But it's just too heavy to carry much of it.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Even 30 Caliber Cans Are Too Heavy

Forget the 20mm and 50 Cal cans....they weigh a ton full of ammo. Doesn't matter what kind of ammo either. Strongly consider downsizing your BOB all up carry load to no more than 20% of your body weight and that may be too much also. How one does this is the problem. Many possible answers are doable. HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Once you leave your castle the theme is "light" max # of rounds 200-300 and don't even think about bringing your 25" plasma TV with you. Prepositioning ammo and food may be a good idea

·
I deal in lead
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man! Leavin all that ammo behind would suck! What if u had to hike 20 miles to yer BOL... would u craft sumthin out of a bike?? Make a towing rig you can atach and haul yourself?

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Man! Leavin all that ammo behind would suck! What if u had to hike 20 miles to yer BOL... would u craft sumthin out of a bike?? Make a towing rig you can atach and haul yourself?
unless you have a capable off road vehicle the theme remains "light" :) if you can rig something up i would recommend you add more food, water and med supplies over bullets..again in a BO situation 200-300 rds max is all you need, a fishing line will be of more use to you than an additional 500 rds...I know it hurts, I would be leaving behind about 25 weapons and about 6k rounds :(

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

·
The War to end all Wars
623 Posts
My primary plan is to bug in but if forced to leave I have a "portable" reloading system as part of my kit. Based off of a Lyman 310 tool or a Lee kit (have both - just can't decide which is better) and including molds to cast bullets and sizing dies it weighs in at 5 lbs. 2600 small pistol primers in a Wal-Mart water proof box 3 lb, 5 oz, 5 lb of 2400 powder gives me 2500 rounds of 158 gr GC SWC 357 Mag. My stating brass load out is 500 rounds so even assuming I lose 10% of the brass each reloading cycle I have a bit of slack. The guns are a Rossi 92, 20in barrel and a S&W 686 6in barrel.

My on foot plan includes a game cart which will be transporting almost 175 lbs of stuff so guns and ammo are not the dominate item by weight.

Reality check - 3000 rounds is way more than I anticipate that I would need but given that I am looking at 8.5 lbs of expendables and 5 lbs of equipment it seemed reasonable. Given that I am having to move trading ammo, which is something that I am not inclined to do, may become necessary to obtain some more critical resource.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Dog cart. I have a small 3' X 5' cart to which I can harness my Dane. I wouldn't expect him to pull it uphill without my help for very long, but on the flat or a slight incline the Big Guy can pull a considerable amount.

I have no illusion that he could pull my whole arsenal. I certainly couldn't, even if it all fit. I can barely fit it all in the back of the truck. But I have no trouble believing that we'd be OK in the short term with it half full of food and half full of ammo.

That is should bugging out on foot become a necessity and the truck not an option.

As I sit here thinking about it... How about the hand cart I used to use for my golf bag (before I decided golf is as big a waste of time as has been thought up) Probably use a couple tie down straps and haul around a couple thousand rounds without too much discomfort.

Further thought. My hand truck would probably be manageable with 4 of the deep 50 cal ammo cans strapped to it. Though I 'd rather have something with larger wheels.

·
Threadkiller
1,881 Posts
Now ya'll are treating this as a planned bug out. Seems to me the scenario was a forced one. Not only would you not have time to load this "cart" but around here you arent headed though the woods pulling a cart. Be hard enough with a backpack.
The vietcong had established trails.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
In the old Tarzan movies the great white hunters had porters to carry all their gear.

And I hear there will be a couple unemployed folks from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave soon.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Now ya'll are treating this as a planned bug out. Seems to me the scenario was a forced one. Not only would you not have time to load this "cart" but around here you arent headed though the woods pulling a cart. Be hard enough with a backpack.
The vietcong had established trails.
What emergency would force me to bug out but not take ten minutes to throw a couple buckets of food and a couple ammo cans into a cart and strap him into the harness. If it's that big of an emergency, say, a chemical disaster or Nuclear like Bhopal India or Chernobyl, how am I going to make it out on foot and stay ahead of the disaster? On foot? I'd be dead stay or go. Anything else, I'm positive I could make my primary BOL on foot in three weeks.

I've given this a lot of thought. It's 165 miles. That's less than eight miles per day. I walk all three of my dogs 4 miles at least three times a week. Our typical morning walk is 2 miles. So we're not in terrible shape even now.

Only the first five miles or so are through a populated area. After that, we'd be out of the suburbs and on mainly 2 lane roads with very few residences. Most of the terrain in Colorado east of Denver (that's as much as you get) is reasonably flat. True, closer to the BOL it gets rougher, but the dog cart does have 20 inch wheels.

So, as long as I had a handful of minutes I could easily load the cart with sufficient supplies to last a month on the road to get to the BOL. And the three firearms I'd have to have and a couple thousand rounds of ammunition in the event I didn't think I was going to make it back for the rest. Once at the BOL, I have a cache.

Also, think on this. I have just over 12k rounds of .22LR. That fits, in the original boxes, in two 50 cal ammo cans. One deep and one regular.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts