Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 450 Posts

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,937 Posts
How popular is the Ak-47 amongst semi-auto fans in the US? Large following, insignficant alongside Ar-15 ?
Very large, very popular. Probably as much, perhaps more, perhaps less, perhaps tied, with the AR. Millions and millions of them in circulation in the US. Very prolific.

There are very die hard fans of the AK. Including myself.

·
Pusher of brooms
585 Posts
Maybe it's the result of being a Cold War child, but the AK will remain the gun of our enemies, the bad guys.

Visions of terrorists in the Middle East, Africa, South America, pretty much everywhere from the nightly news, that banana magazine is a target indicator. "Bad guy".

·
Retired Army
5,539 Posts
I do have more ARs than AKs but, I like them equally. Hell, I like all guns.

Al

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Maybe it's the result of being a Cold War child, but the AK will remain the gun of our enemies, the bad guys.

Visions of terrorists in the Middle East, Africa, South America, pretty much everywhere from the nightly news, that banana magazine is a target indicator. "Bad guy".
To you perhaps. (And to some) not all.

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
Zomby killing crowd, pretty high.

Competition, High Power, 3-Gun, CMP Modern Militaray Matches, NEAR ZERO compaired to the AR.
So what you're saying is AKs are popular with the use it for its intended purpose crowd and ARs are popular with the punching paper crowd. :D:

Price and availability likely has the biggest impact. When ARs were more expensive than AKs people bought AKs. Now that prices have flipped, people buy ARs.

If the US opened up imports from China and Russia, AKs and their ammo would drop in price and people would buy them up.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
AR is definitely more popular, but the AK has a decent following.

i have several of each, but definitely seem more ARs at ranges.

seeing some sales statistics would be cool, but i do expect ARs are probably 70+% of the semi-auto rifle market

·
COF
402 Posts
Not sure that anyone has a good number on how many of each type there are in circulation due to parts kit built rifles. Years ago an numbers matching AK parts kit with 500 rds. of ammo was less than $100. A couple of European countries emptied the warehouses.

·
Awesome
17,816 Posts
So what you're saying is AKs are popular with the use it for its intended purpose crowd and ARs are popular with the punching paper crowd. :D:

Price and availability likely has the biggest impact. When ARs were more expensive than AKs people bought AKs. Now that prices have flipped, people buy ARs.

If the US opened up imports from China and Russia, AKs and their ammo would drop in price and people would buy them up.
just another thing that would greatly benefit the gun community, that the NRA refuses to lobby for because it may effect profits of domestic manufacturers like colt and S&W

·
Awesome
17,816 Posts
i like AKs because i like building things.. AR-15s you assemble, basically anyone with a couple basic hand tools can put together an AR, AKs are more fun, but whats often over looked is the options you have with AKs if you do your own build as theres a lot of aftermarket that you cant put on an existing rifle without a lot of work..

barrels are also so much cheaper because theres no machining locking lugs or threading them, its a simple turned profile which also means with no restrictions on magazine shape, an action long enough to squeeze in .308 length cartridges without having to stretch the receiver, and bolts available with damn near any bolt face even up to 7.62x54R that there is actually a fairly massive untapped potential to them when it comes to caliber conversions

i think once the surplus has mostly dried up and domestic manufacturers get their **** together and start building quality rifles, brand new, you may start seeing a lot of that potential tapped into

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Rugged reliability & simplicity are the AK's strongest assets. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

They are also extremely accurate with iron sights in a real-world SHTF scenario where you're engaging opponents/targets in the 100-200 yard range.
Taking a .30 caliber round inside that distance spectrum will definitely screw up your day. :eek: :eek: :eek:

While some AR folks love to cover their black rifles like a Mardi Gras float with all kinds of festoonery in the belief that it will make their .22 a long-range wonder rifle, a decent shot can do much better for a whole lot less with an over-the-counter, scoped .270 Win. bolt gun designed to reach out & touch someone in the most unpleasant way at 400-plus yards. :whip: :whip: :whip:

·
Retired Army
5,539 Posts
Rugged reliability & simplicity are the AK's strongest assets. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

They are also extremely accurate with iron sights in a real-world SHTF scenario where you're engaging opponents/targets in the 100-200 yard range.
Taking a .30 caliber round inside that distance spectrum will definitely screw up your day. :eek: :eek: :eek:

While some AR folks love to cover their black rifles like a Mardi Gras float with all kinds of festoonery in the belief that it will make their .22 a long-range wonder rifle, a decent shot can do much better for a whole lot less with an over-the-counter, scoped .270 Win. bolt gun designed to reach out & touch someone in the most unpleasant way at 400-plus yards. :whip: :whip: :whip:

I love the Mardi Gras float analogy.

Al

1 - 20 of 450 Posts