Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Barrio Bajo Señor
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I popped up a batch today, first time in a long time and I totally forgot how easy it is for a quick snack, how filling it is and that it can actually be a meal by itself. I suspect it has a great shelf life and I’m thinking I need a nice stash of it in my preps, $1.25 for 20oz bags at the dollar store so I’m thinking of throwing $20 or so at it

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
We buy it bulk, 25 or 50# bags at the Amish stores. Have a couple 100 #'s in buckets.
Popcorn and also grind it for cornmeal (cornbread baking)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am going to lay in a bunch of popping corn in mylar w. absorbers. I read that not all corn will pop, so make sure you store a proven variety. Obviously any stored corn is still food, but for the great snack of popcorn, that's what we are after in this case.

From my research, avoid microwave packaged 'corn for long term storage as it is made with oils and seasonings that will go rancid. Cutting open the packages and dumping the contents into the mylar does not prevent such spoilage, nor do oxygen absorbers or vacuum sealing. It is as with brown rice and other fat/oil containing goods.

Added Note: Teeth and dental work. I have only seven upper teeth now, with a fixed bridge and now a partial/removeable denture. Popcorn will not be for myself, but for my wife and others we may be with it will be a comfort item.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Glasses Sunglasses Gesture Natural foods Ingredient
Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Natural material
Glasses Sunglasses Gesture Natural foods Ingredient

Every Fall, I buy popcorn from my Amish neighbors, they call them Indian fingers and sell them as ornamentals. I just pull off the husks, rub the whole cob with oil, pop it in a brown paper bag and microwave til the corn stops popping.

You want to buy the small, round, glistening kernal cobs, not the larger, dented kernal Indian corn. Glasses Sunglasses Gesture Natural foods Ingredient

·
gard'ner
1,164 Posts
Teeth and dental work.
Eating popcorn causes our teeth to chip and fracture... as much as I enjoy eating popcorn... I'm not sure that incurring dental issues SHTF makes much sense.

At my house, popcorn keeps poorly.
Just fed a bunch of old popcorn to the chickens... it's not like it becomes valueless... but the kernels become resistant to popping.

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
Yep, buy organic popcorn at Amish bulk foods by 50# bag. Have an air popper that we use regularly. Also store up Butter Flavored coconut oil.
Font Screenshot Rectangle Brand Logo

Wow. Just checked and it almost doubled in price since last year.

Reactions: SoJ_51 and Stwood

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,899 Posts
We buy it bulk, 25 or 50# bags at the Amish stores. Have a couple 100 #'s in buckets.
Popcorn and also grind it for cornmeal (cornbread baking)
I have 100# stored, same reason. It can be used for cornmeal or popped for a snack.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Mom and I tried adding a bit of moisture to a jar of corn that wouldn't pop (due to age) but were unsuccessful. We may not have have given it enough time for absorption.

Now I am craving popcorn. I'll prolly pop some later. It's so easy with my silicone microwave popper.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
Popcorn in preps? Yes, but also no.

I see no reason to pay full price for groceries if I do not have to. Whenever I see something that we like on sale, providing that it is storable, I buy it and add it to my preps.It is not really intended for SHTF, it is intended for snacks

My preps/pantry or whatever you want to call it saves us money as well as being there if the Stuff Hits the Fan. So yes we have popcorn, and DH ate some of it yesterday as a snack.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Mom and I tried adding a bit of moisture to a jar of corn that wouldn't pop (due to age) but were unsuccessful. We may not have have given it enough time for absorption.

Now I am craving popcorn. I'll prolly pop some later. It's so easy with my silicone microwave popper.
Try putting what you want to pop in a mason jar with an inch of water in it, slosh it around. Let it sit overnight, (12 hours, less might work, but I know 12 does) pour it out and let it dry overnight. You will be surprised.

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
People used to eat popcorn for breakfast with cream and honey. I remember reading about it in some of Laura Ingalls Wilder 's books. She also made popcorn balls with molasses.

·
wanderin' roun somewhars
485 Posts
I used to eat popcorn ALL the time. Members of my family thought I was insane about popcorn. At the movies, at home and wherever I could find it. I love the stuff! I haven't eaten any in the last six years since I cracked my third tooth that required a root canal to repair. It's no longer in my cupboard. My problem is probably personal and age related so It's just me, but...

I won't have any in my food stores, ever. In a SHTF scenario where I can't find a dentist it would be a total disaster. I still miss it terribly but I won't take the chance again. Just my $.02 worth but you can have mine, thanx.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
11,676 Posts
No

Edit:My answer could be seen as rude:ppopcorn is quite a treat w butter and salt but the exact taste can be copied w grits…
Popcorn kernel's/husks [can] cause all sorts of issues that arent even thought about in regular times…dental issues, digestive problems(diverticulitis),…. In SHTF, the entertainment value of it doesnt conquer the risks…Thats jmo plus Im biased towards grits since I learned the trick

1 - 20 of 36 Posts