Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sam's Wholesale has 50 pound bags of popcorn. Can you use it as you would regular corn (i.e., grind it to make corn flour)?

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Interesting question, I believe as long as it's unsalted, Unbuttered it will work and some people pop it and then they grind it into flour.
Colonists mixed ground popcorn with milk and ate it as a breakfast food.
And shortly after the end of World War II, a shortage of baking flours forced bread makers to substitute up to 25% of wheat flour with ground popped popcorn.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Check out "dent" corn at the feed store. Looks to be the best for grinding at a cheap price.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Good post ... and on a related note, popcorn is an excellent item to place in your emergency pantry. My reasoning ...

1) It makes an excellent snack between meals and keeps you feeling "filled".
2) It is cheap. Least expensive snack.
3) It keeps you and your family occupied while worried about vents. Making it, eating it.
4) It is healthy.

When I was under employed and single in the 1980's, I ate a lot of popcorn to feel satiated between meals. It was something I looked forward to eating with a beer at the end of a day of looking for work and watching the TV news.

Cooking ... I've found the easiest way is to put a tablespoon or so of popcorn in a paper lunch sack. The small ones. Place in the microwave on full power for 1-3 minutes. When the frequent popping stops, it is done. No oil, no stove, none of the salt and artificial additives of popcorn mixes, etc. from the store. You can eat plain or add anything that you like.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check out "dent" corn at the feed store. Looks to be the best for grinding at a cheap price.
Well, someone replied that such corn should be tested for aflotoxin...and therefore I worry about using it. I know that it either will or will not be tested and say so on the bag, but I don't entirely trust those kinds of processes when they extend outside the human supply chain. There's more room for error, and less boisterous talking by the victim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts