Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Survivor
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I have never worked with kydex before, and wanted to see what I could do. I watched a how to video on youtube and set out to give it a try.

Goal: Create a couple sheaths using .80 thick Kydex and 1/4" rivets with a setter. More importantly, do it "Super Cheap"

Materials: 3 sheets of 8x12 Kydex (I still have 1 left over), 1/4" rivets, Rivet Set/punch, Heat gun, Gloves, Drill with 1/8" and 1/4" bits, Sandpaper, Hand saw, pencil, ruler, scrap nylon webbing.

Results: The shovel was my first attempt and came out a bit uneven at the top, I had to thin it a bit to get it even. The knife came out exactly how I wanted it to, although I did go a little rivet crazy on it :upsidedown:

Working with just a heat gun and moulding with my hands was a lot easier than I had suspected, I was going to make a press if needed, but ended up doing just fine. In the future I might tweak the process a little, but I am happy with the results. I found it easier to heat the item in the sheath, then mould it tight, and then reheat it to adjust for tensioning. One perk I found with the heat gun is that you can slightly heat an area and make minor adjustments.

·
Survivor
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. The total cost was 15 for the three kydex sheets, 10 for 100 rivets, and 8 for the punch. Estimated cost of material per item was $6, as I have one sheet left and a bunch of rivets and the punch being reusable. I had a drill, heat gun and other stuff already, hence the ambition to give it a go.

I got the materials through vendors on Amazon, took about 5 days, with a weekend, to arrive.

I was debating on the use for the last sheet. I dont have much else needing a sheath, maybe my swiss army knife or phone. I will probably have an Aha! Moment in the near future for the sheet. Next big project will be a pistol in a few months when I pick it up.

In total w/ shipping I spent $40 and to buy these online before shipping is $120. And I still have one more sheet for another project! I highly recommend giving it a try if you haven't, it is a lot of creative fun.

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts
you can use your kitchen oven to bring the sheet to temp..

the heat gun is usually for fine tuning

Reactions: TENNGRIZZ and Adam

·
camps in trees
2,067 Posts
Those turned out pretty nice.

I've done a bit with a press but personally I like vacuum forming. The rivets are nice for tying off but I like chicago screws just because I can take them apart and clean inside better.

·
Survivor
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
would a hair dryer create enough heat to mold Kydex? I guess hot to boiling water would work as well ? I don't have a heat gun.
Boiling water might work, and as stated an oven is common. I don't think a hair dryer would work except for small area changes. The kydex does cool quite rapidly.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
Looks good, nice work.
I started making kydex iwb pistol holsters a few months ago. Not that hard to do. At Christmas with family today. Will.ppst photos tomorrow.

Reactions: Adam and TENNGRIZZ

·
Registered
82 Posts
Those turned out pretty nice.

I've done a bit with a press but personally I like vacuum forming. The rivets are nice for tying off but I like chicago screws just because I can take them apart and clean inside better.
You have a vacuum pump??Would an industrial shop vac work ?

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,804 Posts
I made a sheath for a machete from plastic rain gutter. Softened it in a pan of boiling water, folded it around the blade and riveted it closed. Took about 5 minutes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts