Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my water storage and got this info from a previous thread(see quote below) I have looked in both wal-mart and lowes and can not find a shock with only that ingredient (calcium hypochlorite) can some one tell me a brand or store that sells the plain shock?? Thanks

The above posts contain very good information. Calcium Hypochlorite (pool shock) is fantastic to have available because it doesn't degrade over time like regular bleach. However, if you are obtaining your water from a municipal water supply and not a well, you don't really need to add anything to it as it is already chlorinated. Just change it out every 6 months to a year (I do a year).

A word about pool shock. Make sure you don't buy shock with addititives like algaecides, etc. You want straight calcium hypochlorite. Also be careful how you store it. It will cause metals to rust and it can give off some nasty fumes. I leave mine in my shed.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Wal Mart had it last year. is the full summer stock on the shelves where you live?
If not, wait a month or two and look again. I got several small envelopes for a dollar each last year and they all fit nicely into a resealable plastic coffee can.I keep them on a basement shelf where it is cool and dry. one will treat more water than i'll probably treat in a year. I plan to keep the envelope rolled and sealed with tape between uses and enclosed in a screw top glass jar.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
Got mine at ACE Hardware. 5 pound containers for $15.00 or less. One container will treat an enormous amount of water. Something like 100,000 gallons if I'm not mistaken.

The mix is one tablespoon per two gallons of water to make bleach then 8 drops of bleach per gallon of drinking water. Again if I'm not mistaken, if I am someone please correct this.

It should read-
Active ingredients: Calcium Hypochlorite ??%
Inactive ingredients making up the rest %

The inactive ingredients are just that, inactive and of no concern.

The stuff I have seen at Lowe's and Home Depot do have algaecides like you mentioned.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
In our town, the pool/spa store has it cheaper and a higher % than Walmart.
Super Shock-It 68% Calcium Hypochlorite. 1lb. treats 10 to 15,000 gal. of water. (for pools or hot tubs). I believe it was $5.00/lb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts