Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on either getting a heavy duty poncho for my BOB or just making sure my gortex shell and hood is waterproofed with scotch guard?

Everything in my BOB is watertight as is.

Thoughts

·
Hunter
2,994 Posts
I'm a big fan of the poncho--as long at it's a well made, quality one.
Too many different things can be done with it, versus a hooded jacket/windbreaker.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a big fan of the poncho--as long at it's a well made, quality one.
Too many different things can be done with it, versus a hooded jacket/windbreaker.
any suggestions on a source? Type?

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
They both have their ups and downs.

A poncho can be used as a shelter-tarp, and will also fit over a bunch of bulk like a vest or backpack.

A rainsuit won't blow around in the wind, and are generally more durable than a ripstop nylon poncho.

...I originally went with a poncho, but I'm switching over to a rainsuit.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I use a heavy duty rain suit from a top line work wear retail house. I also have a military ponco to go over that. I hate to come off as sort of Texican but we have rain storms here, especially in the Lake of the Woods / Rainy River area so bad that you can drown standing up. Like some others here I go with a North Face Base Camp water resistant BOB and most of the contents is in plastic freezerbagfs in the BOB. I find that half the time when I hit the bush it rains or at least huffs and puffs like it is thinking to do so.

·
Hunter
2,994 Posts
The "type" he will be suggesting is the ripstop silnylon type.
Back when i was in, there were two types, one thin cammo/ripstop and the other, thicker, rubber-ish. I'm talking about the thicker, rubber type as the thinner ripstop did nothing but hang on you and be cold/wet/worthless.

A lot of people say get the german ones, but I've no experience with them.
If I can't find one of the older types, I might make one for myself somehow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts