Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are setting up an altoid tin style MSK (is that the acronym?), how does one POLISH the tin for signaling? Is this a special process or just shining it up with windex?

Is this adequate or should I get one of those star flash mirrors($9) or sun featherweight mirror ($3)?

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,557 Posts
Star flash mirrors are great. They allow you to aim where your signal is hitting.
I have never polished a tin so I can't help you with that one. Sorry.

·
Not Totally Clueless
591 Posts
Believe it or not using ordinary chocolate will polish tin enough to make a bright shiny mirror (google it) but for 3 or 4.99 EDC has a Wenger emergency mirror/knife/tweezer that would work well....

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
If you are setting up an altoid tin style MSK (is that the acronym?), how does one POLISH the tin for signaling? Is this a special process or just shining it up with windex?

Is this adequate or should I get one of those star flash mirrors($9) or sun featherweight mirror ($3)?
In my Altoids can EDC I have a Coglan's signal mirror with the aiming dot. Takes up very little space and is 100% reliable. Besides my Altoids tin is doing double duty as a vessel for boiling water... therefore will most likely be black with soot OR dented OR otherwise unsuitable for signalling.

Allan

·
STALKER Unit Mobile
183 Posts
lol I guess this may be the cheap way of doing it but I actually steal the mirrors out of the whitening strip boxes instead of throwing them away they will not break are very flexible are extremely thin and work great

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now on the "what's unusual thing in your pack" thread......someone said these mirrors are a joke and don't work. Anyone know? Did the Mythbusters cover this?!

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Now on the "what's unusual thing in your pack" thread......someone said these mirrors are a joke and don't work. Anyone know? Did the Mythbusters cover this?!

Considering the mirrors are included in the military survival kits I think they're probably effective. Keep in mind those particular units are glass mirrors, not some DVD or plastic knock off. I have both the military unit and the smaller Coghlan unit. At the distance I've tried using it (a couple hundred yards) I didn't notice much difference. At longer range that might not be the case.

I find the aiming dot to be fantastic, though I'm not sure it's any more effective than simply using your finger as the aiming device.

Allan

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Glass mirrors are much more effective than plastic. A few months ago we did a test with a few different models of mirrors. I was on a rock outcropping and my partner was on the side of the road 2-3 miles away. He said that the quality of the flash was much brighter and better with the glass mirror. The plastic mirror seemed to have more imperfections in it's shape than the glass and diffused the light more.

Just my $.03 (inflation)

·
Registered
525 Posts
This is an interesting tidbit..

The record distance for a mirror signaled rescue is 105 miles. There were no specifics given, as to whether it was a mirror, aluminum foil, but impressive, just the same.

The inside of the Altoids can lid may be sufficient.

Learning to accurately direct the reflected light at real distance would be more critical than which brand mirror.

It would be a good field project to have two people with (walki-talkies, FRS or GMRS, or cell phones) and see if they can flash a signal the other can detect.

I have tried mirror signaling at short ranges using the hippy piece sign held out at arms length like a gun sight, and mirror in the other hand by my eye. Gee, what a mental picture, ha. It seems to work ok, might work better with love beads and a joint, just kidding, ha. It actually worked better than the old Mil type sighting device supplied with their signal mirror.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
The aiming eyehole piece is what will get the flash to the right place. So if you have the brightest polish ever gotten from an altoids can you still gotta aim it just right...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Military signal mirrors are the best to use and they do work.used them on many occasions.You have full size and mini,aming hole in center.have spotted downed pilots ,they were using the signal mirror provided in their survival kit.

·
Farmer/Film maker
206 Posts
If you are looking for small cheap glass mirrors I got mine from A.C. Moore (a large craft store) for 50 cents each. They were in the wedding section. there is a large variety of sizes and shapes for dirt cheap prices. The ones I got will fit in an altoids box without any problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts