Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been on the news for a while now and all the aussies on this site would know about it, the new legislation curfew for melbourne. It just shows that we are becoming more and more an police state. Just a matter if time and it will soon it will happen to all major cities. I wonder how long before these type of curfews will become even more restrictive. I don't know of any other countries doing this type of thing at the moment.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Interesting. I think something has to be done to reduce street violence after 'closing time', it was even on the news in my *rural* area tonight; but I just don't know the answer. One alarming statistic is the rapid increase in the crime of "glassing" this year, which must be stopped IMO.

What's your thoughts on an alternative to the curfew legislation Arwen?

Cheers, Herne

·
V
21,713 Posts
They introduced a curfew in my home city a couple of years ago (just over the winter months) I think it was from around 7-8pm onwards it was targeted at certain area's and certain age groups. Anyone suspected over being under 16 caught without an appropiate adult or ID to prove thier age was picked up.

Crime dropped dramaticaly, more "ordinary" people would be seen on the streets as opposed to gangs of youths and there was a sense of relief especially by some of the older folks who felt safer to go about thier business.

It's not all together a bad thing as long as its handled correctly.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
"Anti-Trouble maker law" = "Anti social behaviour law" (Australia/UK). This concept is fine if it stops at common sense things, like this, but it won't. Still, I have no time for regular drunks, least of all those who puke the streets, get loud in ridiculous arguments in the early hours and glass people over nothing. Really, no time at all, I know a decent women scarred by a pint, whilst she studied in a city. A curfew isn't enough - such folk should be wiped out IMO for what they consider their preferred past-time (paying massive fees to ****).

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
(quote)"One alarming statistic is the rapid increase in the crime of "glassing" this year"

Hey, what is "glassing"? M.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Herne: I sort of agree with what arrexian said about “This concept is fine if it stops at common sense things, like this, but it won't”

My thoughts: It’s just another way for the government to control it’s people. It might start off as an ‘innocent thing’, but government tend to get carried away with passing laws and such and before you know it your life is even more controlled than it was a few years ago. With a slow and steady passing of new legislation’s etc it just happens and the mass public usually don’t pay attention to the little things like this, but it is the little things like this when combined, that make up a more and more totalitarian society.

·
V
21,713 Posts
(quote)"One alarming statistic is the rapid increase in the crime of "glassing" this year"

Hey, what is "glassing"? M.
A brief translation would be;

Some drunken idiot with more beer inside them them balls sticks a glass drinking vessle in your face :thumb:

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts
Laws like that are stupid... They can be abused by rogue cops very easily.

Suspected troublemakers? *red flag* *alarm* Bye bye civil liberties.

Why don't they just arrest people for public drunkenness? Isn't that enough?

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
You know, on the Simpsons tonight I heard something that I thought is pretty true.
"Sorry, I said we are powerless to pretect you, but punish you? Thats a whole differnt story."

There are curfews in certain areas all around NZ, to cut down on illegal street racing.
They work to an extent, and while they're no longer racing in the curfew areas, they're just racing some where else.
But to control youth gangs and drunks, I could see it working.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Here in Alaska theyv'e come up with a red-line across you drivers license or I.D. card.
Which means "no booze", more and more pubs and liquor stores are asking to see an I.D.
even if your 60 years old.
If their caught serving you they can be fined and their license pulled.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Is "glassing" common or on the rise? I've never even heard of that in the states.
Depends where you drink :eek::

It used to be every friday/saturday night there would be at least 2-3 at least then the city centre got cleaned up, CCTV installed and a heavier police presence, they came down hard on drinking in public some area's are strictly no drinking (walking around with a can or a bottle) keeping all the booze in pubs and clubs where it should be all the pubs and clubs have licensed doorstaff so it's curbed a hell of alot.

I cant speak for Oz but here at least its no where near as bad as it used to be.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
The problem is they are punishing everyone for the bad behavior of a few. They want to create a robot population...a group of people all going to and from like ants. Instead of dealing with the problems of public drunkeness, assault, gangs, etc., they think it's better to just make laws to conform all of us.

I do believe that there should be teen curfews.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"In my 35 years of policing I think this is some of the most effective legislation to deal with public order that I've had the pleasure to experience."

So how exactly is giving the police unprecedented power is not the Police State?

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
When they said this wasn't a police state thing that tells me that it is. Policing the people and adding more police laws to the state is creating a "Police State"

idiot politicians.

-Cade

1 - 20 of 31 Posts