Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife mentioned she heard something, on the news, about a "super" poison ivy. Didn't catch where, but said global warming was the cause.(??)
Anyone have anything, on this??

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
poison ivy

If it is on my property it is a SUPER strain and I treat it as such! Yuck! I hate that stuff. I use POISON on it every time I see it. If I get it - I have to have steroid shots to get rid of it!!!!

Let's hope this isn't true and I doubt if global warming had anything to do with it....

·
Hooligan on Holiday
2,368 Posts
Interesting you brought this up, just last night on our local TV news thet were talking about how ivy was intensified lately because of the global warming "thing". Guess I am fortunate because I have been able to roll in the stuff since I was a kid and have never been effected by it. The news did say however that this newer stronger type could effect those (like myself) that are not normally bothered by it.

·
Hunter/Farmer
2,003 Posts
CO2 is a greenhouse gas.
It is called a greenhouse gas because it is sometimes added to greenhouses to promote faster growth.
It's not just Poison Ivy that is enjoying the benefit of global warming, but all plants, including crops.
All I know is my San Augustine lawn is now Super San Augustine, stuff is growing like wildfire!:D
This post is a little in jest,......the media picks a plant that noone wants to prosper. I doubt that it mutated into a killer species.

Hows the kudzu in Mississippi?,....has it ate Vicksburg yet?:D

·
Hunter/Farmer
2,003 Posts
It's a Catch 22,.....plants use CO2 in the daytime during photosynthesis, and use O2 at night during respiration. I doubt we will enjoy extra breathable O2.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Guess I am fortunate because I have been able to roll in the stuff since I was a kid and have never been effected by it.
I use to say the same thing, namely because it was true. Last time I said it was when I was (39?) years old. The statement immediately preceeded a nasty bout of swelling, blistering and discoloration with towels wrapped around the the affected area having to be changed every 4 hours as they soaked through.

the reaction to urushiol (sp?), the oil of the plant, is an allergic reaction and a person can become more sensitive to it with additional exposures. I.e., you might not react today, but keep exposing yourself to it and you could begin to react. So, it's worth avoiding even if you've never had a reaction in the past.

Cheers,
-Per.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.