·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,454 Posts
Yes, I guess they are discontinued.

That point makes it an incredibly useful little knife.

I didn't realize how important that fine point was until I tried other knives as EDC with more rounded tips like the skyline and the Ignitor, neither of which I could get used to.

then I tried the "Chill" for a while, but the blade opened in my pocket a bit and stabbed by finger a bit trying to grab it one day.

The other EDC knife with a nice point I like is the Kershaw collaboration with Al Mar. (almost too pointed, but still OK) But I think it would be a little too large to meet the office rules you mention. But a wonderful knife, with very nice looks and function. I removed the thumb studs as they are extra baggage with the superb flipper. Probably one of the better pocket clips as well. I always remove the pocket clip, but it looked like a real nice one if that is what you like.

Here is the 3.125 inch blade version. The other size is 3.5 inch.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS...t-blade-black-g10-and-stainless-steel-handles

For a $25 knife, the quality is amazing.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes, I guess they are discontinued.

That point makes it an incredibly useful little knife.

I didn't realize how important that fine point was until I tried other knives as EDC with more rounded tips like the skyline and the Ignitor, neither of which I could get used to.

then I tried the "Chill" for a while, but the blade opened in my pocket a bit and stabbed by finger a bit trying to grab it one day.

The other EDC knife with a nice point I like is the Kershaw collaboration with Al Mar. (almost too pointed, but still OK) But I think it would be a little too large to meet the office rules you mention. But a wonderful knife, with very nice looks and function. I removed the thumb studs as they are extra baggage with the superb flipper. Probably one of the better pocket clips as well. I always remove the pocket clip, but it looked like a real nice one if that is what you like.

Here is the 3.125 inch blade version. The other size is 3.5 inch.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS...t-blade-black-g10-and-stainless-steel-handles

For a $25 knife, the quality is amazing.
I picked up one of those Kershaw-Al Mar assisted flippers a couple years ago and agree that it's a good little EDC. I pulled that out, but the blade is noticeably over 3" which makes it hard to defend. Of course for the price, it wouldn't be a major loss.

ROCK6

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Why waste $100+ on an EDC knife wnen you can spend 10% of that on a knife that is equal to, or better than the overrated and way too expensive knife you are advocating?

It just doesn't make sense.
Think about this: what if you lose the knife, or the tip breaks?

You are going to be royally p1ssed off if you dropped more than a C-note on it.

Conversely, you will simply shrug it off and go buy a replacement for $12 at Autozone if it happens to the S&W.

Just my 2c worth. YMMV.
I’ve modified a Spyderco or two myself so didn’t have to pay the cost of someone else modifying it. (I’ve modified others as well, but Spyderco is what I’m talking about here!)

As far as cheap vs. quality there is likely room for both, but all things being equal I tend to choose and pay for quality!

SD

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Very cool and great find, thanks! I have the larger Yojimbo and it's a great design...this would make it ideal for where I work.

I did locate a now discontinued Emerson CQC14 (Snubby), which ironically also has a legal sized blade, but full size handle. It's by far a more defensive than utility blade in the legal size. I'll get some pics and comparisons posted up with what I currently have.

Three favorites have floated to the top: Spderco's Lil'Lum (now discontinued), Spdyerco's Reinhold Rhino, and Hogue's X1 Microflip (with wharncliffe blade).

Some will be pushing the envelop on the blade length and given how blades are measured, some, like Spyderco's Native 5 has a longer blade than the Emerson, but an almost identical sized cutting edge.

Another factor is size and weight. Some of the smaller blades are solidly built and heavy; some are pretty thick handle-wise (like the Emerson). I'll need to reserve the heavier ones when I'm wearing heavier khaki pants or those days I can wear jeans with button up and jacket.

ROCK6

·
The Black Death
228 Posts
If you like these Michael Janich designs, ChicagoJimbo, Yojimbo 2, then don't miss out on the Yojumbo which has a 4 inch S30V blade. It will be out within the next few months.

·
Fenced In
3,257 Posts
I saw the Kershaw Shuffle get mentioned. I have the Shuffle 2.0 tanto version, and it's a pretty useful knife for its size. It doesn't get much pocket time with me because I prefer a tip-up clip and it's tip-down only, but it's very capable in all other regards. Somehow, every imported Kershaw I've used that has 8Cr13MoV steel has held up better than other brands with (allegedly) the same steel type.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I like a Kershaw leek or onion
The leek may be3” the tip is is thin and breaks if you do some thing silly.
All my sons have them and when we get a few that are broken I send them back for re manufacturing they come back like new .
They replace the broken tips

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I saw the Kershaw Shuffle get mentioned. I have the Shuffle 2.0 tanto version, and it's a pretty useful knife for its size. It doesn't get much pocket time with me because I prefer a tip-up clip and it's tip-down only, but it's very capable in all other regards. Somehow, every imported Kershaw I've used that has 8Cr13MoV steel has held up better than other brands with (allegedly) the same steel type.
@Inazone Yeah, I think it was you that got my attention on the Shuffle. I originally wasn’t restricted by blade lengths and just continue to overlook it. I found one on sale (blue scales) and added it to an order. I’m pretty impressed; very utilitarian (regular drop pointed blade), excellent fit and finish for a $15 knife. Materials aren’t anything to write home about, but I love the design and agree on the quality of that less expensive steel.

I like a Kershaw leek or onion
The leek may be3” the tip is is thin and breaks if you do some thing silly.
All my sons have them and when we get a few that are broken I send them back for re manufacturing they come back like new .
They replace the broken tips
Yeah, I really like the wharncliffe and sheep’s foot blades for office carry. The Leek is just over the limits, but I may test the waters. It’s a very sleek design and I like the assist opening. The thin blade is prefect for very mundane office work and lunch prep:D:

ROCK6

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,175 Posts
I really like my kershaw faultline but I think the blade is too long for your restrictions. It's a flipper with rubber inserts on the handle and a clip.

If that doesn't work then the scallion or shuffle II may meet what you're looking for.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
247 Posts
Good recommendation. Mine arrived yesterday:D: I now have a few to consider and/or rotate. Some will be pushing the blade restriction size, but I'll have to feel out the security in the fall once we are back to work full-time. I'll get a picture up with those within the guidelines and those just over...

ROCK6
How does it compare in person to the frn native?

Is the g10 less grabby like the benchmade 940 or is it kind of grabby on the pocket when drawing?

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
LQQK at the Kizer sheepdog.
Good find, not sure how I overlooked this one. I like the blade profile and it fits the size requirements. Yes, it's Chinese, but I have a couple Kizer knives and they're on the premier end of knife makers and they're serious about their knives (met them at the Blade Show a few years ago). I'll avoid the political aspect and just focus on the people I've met. There are a few Chinese companies that are on the same level as Benchmade, ZT, Spdyerco, etc. and Kizer is one of them.

ROCK6

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
How does it compare in person to the frn native?

Is the g10 less grabby like the benchmade 940 or is it kind of grabby on the pocket when drawing?
Spyderco’s FRN have a pretty good pattern for being grippy, but G10 is typically a little more grippy. G10 can be sanded down as I have some that are pretty smooth. Emerson’s G10 is some of the roughest and grippiest I’ve handled.

Maybe I'm getting old, but nothing says "classy tool" like a Case folding knife.
Yeah, but the classy Case folders don’t look good with pocket clips :D: If I went to just a folder “in” the pocket vice clipped to the pocket, they are very much the quintessential and accepted gentleman’s or officer folder. I am going to try a SAK with pocket clip to see how it is, but even the one I’m looking at using has a little more girth than I’m looking for.

ROCK6

21 - 40 of 41 Posts