Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I’ve relocated back home. Still mostly doing telework, but our new building is located on a NSA campus and we follow “their rules” for certain item restrictions. The NSA refers to some Federal guideline of allowing knives with blades 2.5” or shorter…which sucks because I only have a couple that would potentially work. I don’t think a slightly larger blade would be job-loosing, but I do suspect a blade over 3” would likely end up getting confiscated (they said they do random searches).

This is a business attire environment, so if I pull a knife out I at least want it to look nice and classy :D:

WANTS:

Pocket clip (prefer deep pocket carry, but not a deal breaker). I will carry this in my pocket with a clip. I’ll keep a SAK in my work bag, but for on-body, I want it attached to my pocket.

I want a locking blade. While this EDC won’t be a heavy-use knife, I still prefer a locking blade.

Not too heavy. There are some inexpensive folders made of all steel. While I will wear jeans at least once a week, I’m also wearing dress slacks. Even smaller folders made out of heavy steel will give me pocket-sag, which I want to avoid. If I had a weight limit, I would like to keep it under 2-3oz.

While I’m open to automatics, I would be better served with a manual or assisted opening folder.

No restrictions on price…but for a smaller EDC blade, I’m not really looking for Sebenza pricing at the moment.

Any recommendations? I have a couple of smaller Spyderco knives I picked up a few years ago that might work…just need to find them and will post some pics. I have dozens and dozens of quality EDC folders…just few to none with 2.5” blades.

ROCK6

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Dang Rock, we look to you for blade answers, not questions. 😂
Two and a half inch blade... How about a folding box cutter? Cheap and easy to replace in case of confiscation.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
KAHR ARMS DELICA® 4 KHAKI
C11KAKH
$109.95 MSRP
Overall Length 6.75" (171mm)
Blade Length 2.50" (64mm)
Steel VG-10
Closed Length4.25" (108mm)
Edge Length2.19" (56mm)
Weight2.5oz (71g)
Blade Thickness0.098" (2.5mm)
Handle FRN Clip Position Ambi
Tip Carry Position N/A
Lock Type N/A
Grind N/A
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=941

"Purposely chosen to blend almost invisibly with the most commonly worn pants, these colors provide highly effective "urban camouflage" for unobtrusive carry. The handle scales are injection molded from tough fiberglass-reinforced nylon (FRN) and are supported by skeletonized stainless steel liners. A four-position clip provides the option of all possible carry positions and, along with a sturdy back lock mechanism and the blade's Trademark Round Hole, allows completely ambidextrous carry and operation."

Attachments

·
Listen to the ghosts
5,395 Posts
(they said they do random searches)
I just popped in to say that when I worked onsite at NASA's JSC they did in fact conduct random searches. They would literally set up roadblocks at some the gates and they would search your vehicle. And you did NOT want to be caught with office supplies not obviously in use. People lost jobs for "stealing office supplies". I would be surprised if the same didn't happen in your situation.

·
Desperta Ferro!
569 Posts
I bought an inexpensive, lightweight folding / locking blade at Autozone.

It's a Smith & Wesson brand, is comfortable in my hand and has a small knob close to the hilt to assist in opening. No spring assist, but it opens easily on its own. This knife comes honed super sharp right out of the box, and it is very sturdy.

Best of all, no pocket sag, and was around $10-$12, as I recall.

Mine is all black, but they had a couple of color choices.

I don't think this is the exact knife, but mine looks similar to this one:

https://store.smith-wesson.com/sw/executive-frame-lock/CK110B.html#start=1

Best of all, due to the blade's length, it is legal on most states. It also has a pocket clip that is metal and sturdy. This is an excellent value.

I found the exact knife, in a different color in their pic, but this is it:

https://www.autozone.com/cutting-dr...ools/smith-wesson-3in-pocket-knife/580110_0_0

Check out the user reviews and pics at the bottom of the Autozone site. They echo my sentiments precisely.

Simply put, you won't find a better value at that price anywhere else.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
KAHR ARMS DELICA® 4 KHAKI
C11KAKH
$109.95 MSRP
Steel VG-10
Edge Length2.19" (56mm)
Weight2.5oz (71g)
Tip Carry Position N/A
Lock Type N/A
Grind N/A

"Purposely chosen to blend almost invisibly with the most commonly worn pants, these colors provide highly effective "urban camouflage" for unobtrusive carry. The handle scales are injection molded from tough fiberglass-reinforced nylon (FRN) and are supported by skeletonized stainless steel liners. A four-position clip provides the option of all possible carry positions and, along with a sturdy back lock mechanism and the blade's Trademark Round Hole, allows completely ambidextrous carry and operation."
This is a really good option!

Michael Janich came up with this option many years ago for this same reason!

SD

·
Desperta Ferro!
569 Posts
KAHR ARMS DELICA®️ 4 KHAKI
C11KAKH
$109.95 MSRP
Steel VG-10
Edge Length2.19" (56mm)
Weight2.5oz (71g)
Tip Carry Position N/A
Lock Type N/A
Grind N/A

This is a really good option!

Michael Janich came up with this option many years ago for this same reason!

SD
Why waste $100+ on an EDC knife wnen you can spend 10% of that on a knife that is equal to, or better than the overrated and way too expensive knife you are advocating?

It just doesn't make sense.
Think about this: what if you lose the knife, or the tip breaks?

You are going to be royally p1ssed off if you dropped more than a C-note on it.

Conversely, you will simply shrug it off and go buy a replacement for $12 at Autozone if it happens to the S&W.

Just my 2c worth. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Why waste $100+ on an EDC knife wnen you can spend 10% of that on a knife that is equal to, or better than the overrated and way too expensive knife you are advocating?

Conversely, you will simply shrug it off and go buy a replacement for $12 at Autozone if it happens to the S&W.

Just my 2c worth. YMMV.
There's nothing wrong with having 'bargain' choices. When I farmed/market gardened I often kept a small relatively expendable knife for jobs likely to lead to blade damage.
I was just presenting a quality choice. The knife to which you linked is 3 tenths of an inch longer than asked for in the OP. It is also an ounce heavier than the Spyderco. Still though looks like a bargain.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
Buck 341 The blade is 1/8th of an inch longer at 2 5/8ths but I would be surprised if anyone would notice

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Just my 2c worth. YMMV.
Everyone's 2 cents is worth it as there are just very different perspectives. Just understand, I have no objections carrying an Autozone $12 knife or a higher end $100+ EDC knife. While these EDC work blades aren't really going to be used hard, I do kind of want something a little "showy" for the office. There's always risk of confiscation, loss, or breaking a blade...it just comes with the territory and not everyone is comfortable with abusing a $100+blade or losing one (I've only lost one high end knife over the past several years...still sucks, but it was replaced).

I'll get some pictures up with a few I have and some I'm considering.

I just popped in to say that when I worked onsite at NASA's JSC they did in fact conduct random searches. They would literally set up roadblocks at some the gates and they would search your vehicle. And you did NOT want to be caught with office supplies not obviously in use. People lost jobs for "stealing office supplies". I would be surprised if the same didn't happen in your situation.
Yeah, we have a good in-brief from their security team. I have some options to avoid certain aspects, but of the two gates into the campus, I suspect they will have random searches (already happened once when I first go there). The NSA peeps are weird and some of the stories told by the security team really makes you wonder about who's snooping on who and some of their judgement calls and "reprimands" make that that even more disconcerting!:D:

I have a work around for the bugout bag and AR pistol in the truck...:taped:

ROCK6

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The last job I had before retirement I worked construction on the DuF6 reclamation plant outside the main gates of the Uranium enrichment site at Paducah, Ky. We had an occasional stop and search on our work trucks but nothing too drastic because we carried so many tools and materials on a daily basis.
Entrance to the main plant was an entirely different matter. Nothing that could be construed as a 'weapon' without prior permission and you wanted to be very sure that you weren't messing with fertilizer the day before you passed through the 'sniffers.' :)

·
Desperta Ferro!
569 Posts

Just my 2c worth. YMMV.
There's nothing wrong with having 'bargain' choices. When I farmed/market gardened I often kept a small relatively expendable knife for jobs likely to lead to blade damage.
I was just presenting a quality choice. The knife to which you linked is 3 tenths of an inch longer than asked for in the OP. It is also an ounce heavier than the Spyderco. Still though looks like a bargain.
Thank you, sir, for clarifying the requirements to me. I obviously missed those 2 critical details.

What a great reminder for me to slow down, and read the OP thoroughly and carefully before posting.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sadly, I just don't have too many "small" pocket folders. I did find some smaller multitools that would meet the restrictive guidelines and I will put one of the Leatherman Juice models in my shoulder bag.

The only folder that meets the current restrictions is a discontinued Spyderco model I go on sale a couple years ago (Reinold Rino).

The way AKTI has offered blade measurement protocol for a folder is different than I would...but it's some pseudo standard. It's not the cutting edge, it's the blade that is measured which creates a gray-area if you're willing to risk it.

Both the older Delica and the Native 5 have blade lengths closer to 3", but their cutting edges are both under 2.5"...it might be enough of an argument to risk avoiding confiscation, but losing the battle if found.

ROCK6

Attachments

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A few for evaluation...

Okay, here's a few I'm going to try out:

Hogue X1 Microflip (2.6" blade...cutting it close...pun intended):

CRKT Pilar (2.62" blade...also pushing the limits):

Spyderco Insistent (2.48" blade...just under):

Spyderco Lil' Lum (2.375"...only because it's on sale and going to be discontinued):

Two more late additions:

Kershaw Launch 9 (1.8" blade); this is a tiny auto (stupid Cali legal) and automatics have no restrictions in GA and there's no policy against them at work:

The Kershaw Shuffle was on sale and I've know a couple guys who really appreciated the durability and performance of these little folders (2.375" blade):

ROCK6

·
Desperta Ferro!
569 Posts
I totally dig the Hogue and the Kershaw Launch. Great choices all around, based on descriptions and pics. Would love to try them all.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts