Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took the NC hunter safety course our teachers gave us a hypothetical question. I was kind of shocked by some of the answers I heard, but I think "THEY" were more shocked by the answer I gave. Being Hypothetical, supposedly their are no right or wrong answers, just opinion.

To put it simply most people gave me this look. :eek:

Lets see what you would do, please try to role play the part.

You own a large track of land. You have been out of work for a while and so has your brother. He has 3 children and they had to move in with you as they just lost their house. He happens to be a very skilled hunter and you and your family is nearly out of food.

Upon receiving a phone call that someone wanted to buy an entire cord of wood from you at full asking price, you tell them how to get to your house. As the man pulls up, you see that it's the game warden in his truck. As he approaches the wood pile, you see your brother dragging a deer around back to dress. You know that he has illegally poached that deer and when caught, YOU FEEL it is likely he will go to jail, loose his truck, face a heavy fine, and even loose his fire arm. You know that you wont have money to make bail and that the meat was for both of your families.

What do you do?

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Beware of the dog!
1,941 Posts
Let me add that one in that situation should plan things very well before even getting started. Somethings need to be done in complete privacy and away from any chance of discovery. Dress it out in the woods, butcher it in the woods, pack out small bundles in a small backpack or probably under the cover of darkness.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
Well if the game warden says anything explain how both of you are out of work and this is the deer was killed on your land and it is to be the families sole source of meat for awhile. Then load up the cord of wood and send him on his way if his eye sight suddenly gets bad and forget about payment for the wood. After explaining how the deer ran in front of your range backstop.

If his eye sight is bad from the get go load up his wood and remember that he has already paid you.

If he decides to bust you anyway, well man up. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Post SHTF, what's a game warden?

·
Registered
305 Posts
that or say it charged you and you feared for your life. Where I live that is an acceptable answer if you feel threatened. The reason I asked our MNR about this is because of sitings of a large cat in our area and I hunt so wanted to know the correct answer case i saw it and shot it.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well if the game warden says anything explain how both of you are out of work and this is the deer was killed on your land and it is to be the families sole source of meat for awhile. Then load up the cord of wood and send him on his way if his eye sight suddenly gets bad and forget about payment for the wood. After explaining how the deer ran in front of your range backstop.

If his eye sight is bad from the get go load up his wood and remember that he has already paid you.

If he decides to bust you anyway, well man up. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Post SHTF, what's a game warden?
Well, I guess the SHTF is isolated. The Mill closed up, the factory moved to China, etc etc. Ghost town SHTF.

I think the game warden expected that kind of answer as to explain their situation. Basically his point was that, they have a job to do, and they do it regardless of situation, or person. It basically is a "don't say we didn't warn you" scare tactic.

I heard a few people say, they'd do their best to take care of the kids, etc. But really it's a no win situation.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In response, obviously my answer was along the lines of, protecting my family at the expense of Mr Game Wardens future Metabolic process.

·
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm
3,083 Posts
If I was the game warden; It had darn well be a doe or a very small buck. If it is a trophy buck, well there is going to be one less mouth at the table that night to feed.

I have a neighbor that poaches to feed his family. Every one has let it slide. Recently I found out he is only using the back backstrap and feeding his dog with the rest. So of course he's toast next time I get a whiff of his poaching. BTW: His family has now left him so I won't feel bad about feeding the kids.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I was the game warden; It had darn well be a doe or a very small buck. If it is a trophy buck, well there is going to be one less mouth at the table that night to feed.

I have a neighbor that poaches to feed his family. Every one has let it slide. Recently I found out he is only using the back backstrap and feeding his dog with the rest. So of course he's toast next time I get a whiff of his poaching. BTW: His family has now left him so I won't feel bad about feeding the kids.
Very understandable. What a waist.

The problem with hypothetical, is that you can only go off what is given, and life isn't so simple. To much to take into account.

But the Warden got his point across. They will do their jobs no matter what... in a way you can respect that. They are being honest and upfront.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The obvious question to me is why is the hypothetical fellow not just hunting enough during the season to stock his freezer for the year? He is out of work, so his job during the season should be to kill enough to feed his family. What was he so busy doing during the legal time to hunt that prevented him getting the requisite amount of deer?

In a major shtf situation, there wouldn't be a game warden so it is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I think it depends on the warden I have known some to let it slide ... pretty much if the guy is driving a brand new truck and sporting a real tree camo outfit , shooting a wetherby ? he deserves to be written up . However if the poor fella is packin a beat up old 30-30 with patches on his pants , and 4 snot nosed kids and a old station wagon .. let him slide .

·
angel waiting
4,071 Posts
I'd go smack my brother up side the head and tell him "I told you to keep the damn deer out of sight". A little planning and precaution is always a good thing.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
If a man were inclined to poach deer, I wouldn't think that he'd drag it back to his homestead. That would just be silly...and leave a very easy trail to follow.

I'd think that he'd butcher it on the ground, wrap the meat in the hide, tie the legs together and carry it back after dark. After burying the carcass in a pile of leaves.

Never having poached a deer...or known anyone who did.....that's pure conjecture though.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Around here if your in need of food and you hunt out of season you wouldn't have a problem....it gets overlooked around here all the time. They bust those that hunt for sport yes but food not likely.

·
Molon Labe, Psalm 109:8
1,299 Posts
The Amish are notorious for subsistence hunting in my part of Southern Illinois, it's not because they are starving, it's because they are cheap.

A deer killed = one less hog slaughtered for family consumption that can be sold.

The game wardens are on to them though, particularly when they subsistence hunt on every one else's property.

They are like locusts.

My point is, there is all kinds of subsistence hunting.

·
7,504 Posts
I used to babysit for a game warden, sometimes farmers would call them because they'd just shot a nuisance that wouldn't stay out of their crops (they knew they shouldn't keep it.) Folks who needed meat on the table would usually be let slide, his kids went to school with their kids.

The folks who just wanted a trophy rack because they didn't get one in hunting season, or just wanted to dine on steaks, or wanted last minute venison because family were coming out to see them, they'd get fines, fees, and legal troubles out the wazoo, and the meat would be confiscated. When the game wardens ran out of needy folks to offer it to, sometimes I'd get some, they wouldn't keep it, because that'd be kind of bass-ackwards too.

(It helps alot if you know them well enough to say "Looks like meat is back on the menu" and invite them to stay to dinner.)

1 - 20 of 180 Posts