Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the most common and devastating poaching techniques used around the world.

Snares are indiscriminate killers, catching anything it “snares”, and can remain active for long periods of time.

Poachers who use snares are primarily trying to feed themselves and their families.

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,109 Posts
Trapping game animals is legal. Some of my neighbors have my permission to run trap-lines on my land to take coyotes and bobcats.

'Poaching' refers to illegal trapping.

Are we in such an economic turmoil today that we 'need' to poach as our only means of feeding our families?

I understand it is good to have a knowledge of snares for the future possibility of Post-SHTF scenarios where we need snares as a means of feeding ourselves.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trapping game animals is legal. Some of my neighbors have my permission to run trap-lines on my land to take coyotes and bobcats.

'Poaching' refers to illegal trapping.

Are we in such an economic turmoil today that we 'need' to poach as our only means of feeding our families?

I understand it is good to have a knowledge of snares for the future possibility of Post-SHTF scenarios where we need snares as a means of feeding ourselves.
Poaching exists in developed countries also. It tends to increase in a declining economy.
It is about breaking the local fish and game laws. Some do it for monetary gain. But many do it to put food on the table.

·
Registered
14,359 Posts
One of the most common and devastating poaching techniques used around the world.

Snares are indiscriminate killers, catching anything it “snares”, and can remain active for long periods of time.

Poachers who use snares are primarily trying to feed themselves and their families.
Bull crap.
Especially if you are talking about America.
There are better ways to feed your family than poaching, no matter where you live in the world.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
To me,snares are different from traps.The only traps I've used were for fish or crabs or mice.

most trappers I know do it for tradition,at one time the furs had value,even racoons,but anti-fur kinda killed that.

Never heard of doing it for food in a normal situation

·
Registered
488 Posts

Does it matter the purpose of the poacher ?

Situational awareness is as important as properly retrieving the net - I'm in amphib topography - and their are many share bears on shore believing in sharing the bounty. I am focusing this to a SHTF situation.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Bull crap.
Especially if you are talking about America.
There are better ways to feed your family than poaching, no matter where you live in the world.
When I was growing up my parents drank their pay checks and ate well. Us kids on the other hand didn't get much but the scraps and my sister got 90 percent of that. Yes I trapped poached as a kid and a young college student. I won't apologize for doing it. If you have never been hungry it is easy to condem someone who is and does what they have to to eat.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Are we taking small animals like rabbits and squirrels or boar and antelope sized animals? Why use a snare if one can get an entire weeks feed ant each of dozens of food pantries and get paid from the government many different ways. My mentally handicapped aunt gets 6-10 full uncooked thanksgiving Meals each year on today, thanksgiving day. Her pantry is very stuffed.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
The whole poacher thing reminds me of The King's Forest from Robin Hood. The modern day king is the State.

If the State is regulating the taking of game to assure good management of the different species, well and good. If it's all about revenue/controlling the subjects... hmmm. I'd like someone with a game management background to chime in, I've always wondered about this.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are we taking small animals like rabbits and squirrels or boar and antelope sized animals? Why use a snare if one can get an entire weeks feed ant each of dozens of food pantries and get paid from the government many different ways. My mentally handicapped aunt gets 6-10 full uncooked thanksgiving Meals each year on today, thanksgiving day. Her pantry is very stuffed.
The quote is based on world wide poaching. From my personal view in North America I would focus on fish, fowl, and small game. For those are practical for most people. Poaching big game attracts more attention and requires meat storage. In SHTF places the big game tends to go fact leaving the small fast breeding or migrating animals as the main available source.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The quote is based on world wide poaching. From my personal view in North America I would focus on fish, fowl, and small game. For those are practical for most people. Poaching big game attracts more attention and requires meat storage. In SHTF places the big game tends to go fact leaving the small fast breeding or migrating animals as the main available source.
Real good, Joseph.

There's a view held here by some that in a SHTF event, the fruited plain - and the coasts - will be desolate places for hunting, trapping, pouching, growing crops, having livestock.

The nation will be a national zone with a strong presence of military, LEO, responders and some NGO groups.

No one's going big gane hunting with a Weatherby Mark V in four sixty without being CCA - Confined By Civil Authorities. No one's going spear fishing in waters around LOOP, Louisiana Offshore Oil Port.

Small game and fish: yes, probably won't be bothered by authorities. The danger comes from others who did not prepare to even make a snare or fishing net.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Real good, Joseph.

There's a view held here by some that in a SHTF event, the fruited plain - and the coasts - will be desolate places for hunting, trapping, pouching, growing crops, having livestock.

The nation will be a national zone with a strong presence of military, LEO, responders and some NGO groups.

No one's going big gane hunting with a Weatherby Mark V in four sixty without being CCA - Confined By Civil Authorities. No one's going spear fishing in waters around LOOP, Louisiana Offshore Oil Port.

Small game and fish: yes, probably won't be bothered by authorities. The danger comes from others who did not prepare to even make a snare or fishing net.
We should start a post on Gray Man trapping. For I have had friend who had nice traps walk. I have had friends who were good at making traps on the fly. I have also had to deal with slob trappers who did not check their traps enough and animals chewed food off. In a SHTF the game laws will not change. What is effective can be illegal in many areas.
Also when is a Trap a Trap. For example was this poorly designed and became a trap or was the squirrel just having a bad day?
Photograph Ecoregion Organism Happy Grass

·
Registered
14,359 Posts
When I was growing up my parents drank their pay checks and ate well. Us kids on the other hand didn't get much but the scraps and my sister got 90 percent of that. Yes I trapped poached as a kid and a young college student. I won't apologize for doing it. If you have never been hungry it is easy to condem someone who is and does what they have to to eat.
And as I said...you had better options. You just didn’t know about them.

I’m not condemning you, you were an ignorant kid doing what he could. I’ve seen it.
I have my dads Savage 30-30 Model 99. He told me that it killed far more deer out of season, than in. He grew up as a lumber mill ******* in the redwoods of Northern California. Outhouses until he left home, most men in town were missing fingers or hands from the saws and chokers, and life was hard. And if we had done it, he’d have tanned our hide.

A teacher I know tells a story about a 5th grader that was getting in trouble every Friday afternoon. Sat down with him and asked why? Eventually, the kid said, as I sit eating my lunch, I start thinking that me and my sisters won’t get to eat again until Monday at school, and I get mad.
His mom and dad are now doing time for producing and selling drugs. He and his sisters ended up on foster care. Which, out here, isn’t evil.

Point being, the evil done by others is no excuse for us to break the laws.

·
Registered
488 Posts
We should start a post on Gray Man trapping. For I have had friend who had nice traps walk. I have had friends who were good at making traps on the fly. I have also had to deal with slob trappers who did not check their traps enough and animals chewed food off. In a SHTF the game laws will not change. What is effective can be illegal in many areas.
Also when is a Trap a Trap. For example was this poorly designed and became a trap or was the squirrel just having a bad day?
View attachment 398161
A good idea Joseph; a gray man (includes Louis Lane in grey suit with pillbox hat) of Superman fame discussing low profile stuff.

One thing I see needed is some avatar to locate Forum member's location (without compromising their specifics). I say this because my area has arrangements for much patrolling and boots on the ground. It could be very different where Maersk and Montana Bill dwell.

Here in coastal Virginia, there will be no private citizen water craft entering the Bay or Atlantic and the Ray Ban crowd will receive NOTAMs - notice that air opns stopped for private citizens.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,767 Posts
My area of the Ozarks is completely over run by coyotes, beaver, and feral hogs, they can be legally taken all year. No tags, no season, no restrictions.

The same is true of several fish species, turtles, and snakes. You can eat like a king with a couple dozen traps, a fishing pole, and a crawdad trap.

We are also completely over run by Raccoons and Whitetail Deer, but these species are highly favored by hunters, so they are protected by season, methods, and very generous tag limits.

·
Registered
None of your business.
3,192 Posts
Where I live, we have the opportunity to “Help the Hungry” by donating our harvested deer to help feed those in need who are willing to accept it.

it’s very hard for me to criticize someone who is barely making ends meet and poaches to feed their families when they have exhausted all their options. What does bother me, however, is when folks who are not in that predicament who choose to break the law in order to gain the upper hand.

to The comment about Feral Hogs, if there is ever a SHTF wild game, that, imho, would be it. Many states consider them a nuisance specie and can be hunted year round without a limit. There breeding patterns are such that it would be very difficult to get the upper hand on them without the use of traps/snares, etc. traditional hinting methods alone doesn’t keep their population in check fast enough.

some Might view trapping/snaring animals as cruel, and it does have the strong potential for collateral damage, but if done properly, it can be humane just so long as the trapper is diligent (regularly checking their trap line, humane and proper dispatching, etc.).

people need to remember that the livestock industry can be very cruel and inhumane, whereas Game animals can have far more protection. if you question that statement, then I would challenge you to visit a large scale slaughterhouse.

game seasons are done to keep the balance so that hunters can continue to enjoy hunting year after year. without that balance, the hunter could possibly hunt themselves out of food.

My great grandparents use to tell me stories about how the Great Depression had pretty much wiped out the deer population in many areas of the United States in the south. Such that deer had to be re-introduced. And this was in a nation where we had a fraction of the population we have now. only those who had livestock to supplement their diet faired much better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts