Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are current other threads talking about flu vaccines, etc for flu and talking about concerns of the coronavirus, but this thread is specifically for the pneumonia vaccines - namely
Prevnar 13 and Pneumovax 23

Has anyone gotten these vaccines? What do you think? Also any experts on this can please pipe in. Is it a good idea to get these, or maybe just one of these? (I read that the Prevnar 13 may not be necessary) This is for people over 65.
I read that people who smoke, or drink a lot, or have immunity weaknesses, that it IS a good idea. What about the rest of us, that have decent immunity.

I read that you only get these once, for the rest of your life. Pneumonia is perhaps #8 in cause of death in USA.

What does everyone think?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
As a primary care giver for two elderly parents I was advised to get the pneumovax some years ago. Since I retired I've also gotten the Prevnar 13 and the Shingrix vaccine. No ill side effects from any of these other than some temporary soreness at the injection site of the first shingles shot, did not repeat on the booster.

It is my hope that the combined pneumonia vaccines may mitigate the severity of symptoms from Coronavirus but the CDC has not published an opinion on this question because it is too early in the investigation to assess. But still a worthwhile precaution like avoiding crowds, washing hands and disinfecting surfaces.

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then I just read about @JackD and his Dragon Blood recipe that might do the same thing?

·
Indefatigable
20,145 Posts
I am 59 and have COPD. With 3 bouts of pneumonia in the last 10 years, I took the high dose version 12-19-19. No problems to report, I hope it works as well as advertised.

Reactions: bunny and warho

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I am a primary care provider that put's it this way:

The safest vaccine, the most important vaccine (in today's world for adults) is the P23.

I actually almost agree with the CDC:
Everyone 65+
Every smoker 21+
I recommend (but is NOT CDC) that every child over 2 who has chronic ear infections, or who has ever had pneumonia get the P-23 too (it is approved for age 2 and over)

I do NOT recommend the standard vaccine schedule for children, but DO recommend vaccines / discussion.

The case for P-13 in older people is less clear.

RM

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,985 Posts
My husband got a pneumo vax back in 2003. They just gave it to him and told him later what it was. I will see about taking him in and getting a 23 because he is at pretty high risk, immobile, terrible diet, drinks a lot.

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reading more on this today on the net, I found that the Pneumovax 23 is the more important one of the two, for ages 65+. (and ages over 50 too)
The first one, P13, may not be necessary for people over 65, though this is still unclear, as RM stated.
And that Pneumovax 23 is good for the rest of your life; you only have to get it once. One report said it is effective 60 to 80% of the time. (takes care of 23 different bacterias, thus the name)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I've had both pneumonia vaccines four or five years ago, so I'm immune to 36 types of pneumonia.

Unfortunately, there are more than 36 types of pneumonia and on January 7th I was diagnosed with one of those other types in both lungs. I went in for a checkup, because I thought that I just had bronchitis that developed after having a bad cold the week before.

To make a long story short, I never had a fever at any time during the illness and it cleared up completely in 8 days after I started the course of antibiotics and high dose mucinex to break up the congestion. The doc also prescribed an inhaler to help clear up my lungs.

Well, the infection has been beat for around two weeks or so, but up until the other day I was really tired and falling asleep watching TV and at the computer. The doc said that I could experience tiredness for up to a month after the pneumonia infection was gone.

I'm back in business again and the fact that it wasn't worse and that I didn't feel that sick when I had it could possibly be attributed to immunity that I built up after getting those pneumonia vaccines.

(BTW, I'll be 70 in July.)

·
3,069 Posts
I'm 66 (this month), don't have COPD nor do I smoke. Other than year round sinus issues do to allergies my health is good, take two prescriptions one for hypertension the other a mild analgesic. Two years ago I had a extended bout of pneumonia, from what I understand a rather unusual strain called "Ground Glass", it doesn't show up on exrays. It took almost two months to clear it but no hospital stay. Last year in Jan I took the first pneumonia shot, don't remember which it was but was told I would need to take another shot a year later (this year). I just got it two days ago, it was P13. I was told I would need to take a booster for the one last year in four years (five after the first shot). I've so far had no reactions to either injection. After having pneumonia two years ago I'll take any reasonable pre-emptive steps necessary to avoid it again.

·
Yup
784 Posts
It seems most of the people that die from the flu and other ailments is the side effect pneumonia. I got all of the pneumonia shots i could last year. No side effects. Also get your shingles vaccine. I just got it and its pure hell.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Well.... NO you can not say you are immune to 36: the shot is VERY GOOD for a vaccine, at about 90% protection, and there is a little overlap between the P23 and the P13.

Booster: none to P-13. There are some questions about P-23. Most likely no booster for low risk people, I still recommend ONE booster 5 years later for high risk, I have seen a pulmonologist recommend annual booster for a lung transplant list patient.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Does anyone know if either of these vaccinations would help you fight off pneumonia from/with the 2019-nCoV virus?

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
My wife is 75, I am 73. We got the first shot about 20 years ago, and the second type a couple of years ago, along with the shingles vaccine, and a flu shot every year. We're both fairly healthy - I have Type II diabetes, well controlled with diet and meds. She has a thyroid condition which is also well controlled. We have not had the flu during the time we've known each other.

She got me taking flu shots and having a physical every year when we met, 30 years ago, which is how we caught the diabetes before it had a chance to do any major damage - I had ZERO symptoms. When they called me back for a verification blood test, I thought they were kidding.

I had the flu once in my 30s and have had pneumonia twice, once in my late teens and once in my late 20s. It is the most butt kicking disease I personally have had - took months to get over, during which time you're weak as a kitten and susceptible to every germ you come in contact with. The first time made me ineligible for the Army, which was a huge deal, as I had intended to make the military a career, as my Dad had.

I have not even had a cold to speak of, since I began taking flu shots. I went a couple of years having bronchitis a lot, but when I quit smoking, that went away - duh! At our age, we can't afford tp get sick if we can possibly help it as flu or pneumonia can and does kill lots of old people every year.

I know may folks have different opinions, but I can only report mine.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@GrayFoal

Common sense says it might help, and probably wouldn't hurt; especially for seniors.

As I understand it, different strains of bacteria are mutations of other bacteria, thus any vaccine or antibacteria might knock out a good portion of any new bacteria as well as older common bacteria.

I've decided to get the 23 version after all the discussion on this thread. :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts