Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: I've received several pms in regards to where I would start. I am honored to comply. Please note, this is what I would do. I'm rather a conservative, so this might not be for everyone. Also, I am no expert so other peoples advice welcomed. Please feel free to ask ANY QUESTIONS, with out fear of personal attacks.

DAY 1
These boards allow you to download 3 files a day. These are Survival guides and books which are Prep Number one in being a survivalist. Knowledge weights nothing, and it gets you started right away! These files are located here: http://www.survivalistboards.com/downloads.php

Personally, I would go for the Edible Wild Plants Series. (this is book 1 of 9)
Where there is no doctor.
Map and compass basics

Read Read Read

For maps, you can download Topo maps off the net. Their quality is what you'd expect, however it's free and readily available.

More latter.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Again, any questions, or suggestions, PLEASE POST THEM!!!

Day 2

What to store, what to pack, what to plan, where to go.

All of these Depend on your situation, location, and the event taking place.

Fema did a good job of covering the at home basics which will probably be enough for most emergencies. They however left out Gasoline and Fuel stabilizer in the event that you have to bug out to a place unaffected by your localized event. Hurricanes, floods, etc

Lets say you are in your 30s, kids (boy and girl), wife, dog named Pete. You live in a semi Urban middle class housing development. Lets also assume your, HOA doesn't allow gardens or live stock. So in a Global/National SHTF event, you will need to bug out. You will know what to look for, what to bring, how to defend it, how to get to it, and what to do when you get there. This will come latter.

Start downloading again.

Download a File I made Titled "cheap BOB foods". This was created by me and several others including Old Warrior 64.
This will be cheaper than buying rations. These are things you either have, or can buy from local outlets. Remember that survival is a Carbohydrate war.

Personally I don't like many of the BOB check lists. This is something that has to weight less than 40lbs, and it's make up completely depends on you. Instead lets talk about home work. Dirt time if you will.

This is where you take what you have, and you try it out. Where you learn something new and try it out.

For instance Water Purification methods, Free State Park TOPO Maps and nav points for you to practice on, fishing with a stick and string, Basic Bushcraft, food preservation and even gardening.

By doing dirt time, you start to see what you need, and what you really don't. You find that things break when you need them most, or are dependable despite the worst of abuse.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now, if you have any questions at all, please ask them.

Reactions: bobzilla

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is that technically classified as a pistol???
Yes... and we both know it shouldn't be. LOL

It takes standard AR15 mags and is extremely accurate, well beyond Pistol standards.

If you have a Conceal and carry, you could legally walk around the mall with it.

Reactions: piper and bobzilla

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
Yes... and we both know it shouldn't be. LOL

It takes standard AR15 mags and is extremely accurate, well beyond Pistol standards.

If you have a Conceal and carry, you could legally walk around the mall with it.
its a kel-tec su16 right??? ive been thinking about getting one with a folding stock as a trunk gun... they eat less than trunk monkeys...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Crutch, great post. These downloads are awesome. My question is, would the navigation, fire making, ect. still be important if you weren't in a rural enviroment? In other works, let's say you live just outside of the city. How you your prepping change?

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its a kel-tec su16 right??? ive been thinking about getting one with a folding stock as a trunk gun... they eat less than trunk monkeys...
Very close. Kel Tec PLR 16. The SU, is classified as a rifle.

Their parts are interchangeable.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Crutch, great post. These downloads are awesome. My question is, would the navigation, fire making, ect. still be important if you weren't in a rural enviroment? In other works, let's say you live just outside of the city. How you your prepping change?
Absolutely they would remain important. However Pre SHTF scouting would be all that more important as well.

This requires much more dirt time, than Rural areas. Incidentally it will be much more difficult and even dangerous.

Rule of thumb is, the further you are away from the city, the better.

Remember that your family and your life are far more important than pride. Some people plan to fight off hoards of people, and that's fine. Personally, I feel discretion is the true way of the Survivalist. Fight when you must, avoid what you can.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Disclaimer: I've received several pms in regards to where I would start. I am honored to comply.
I stopped answering questions through private message. Either post the question in the forum, or do not ask it at all.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I stopped answering questions through private message. Either post the question in the forum, or do not ask it at all.
The forums and the responses new people get are sometimes intimidating or even insulting.

The first video I did on these forums, and guy said he was going to kill me and my family. That was Day one of me being on these forums. I had started watching your videos, and was inspired. I wanted to be you, so I ran out and made a stupid video kind of introducing myself. The guy got banned, but that incident isn't isolated. My video was horrible, but dogmatic approaches to Survivalism either turns people away, or makes them to afraid to ask anything.

That is specifically why I made this thread.

My doors are opened to newbies, because if this means something to us, then it has to be worth sharing, celebrating, and inspiring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
However Pre SHTF scouting would be all that more important as well.

This requires much more dirt time, than Rural areas. Incidentally it will be much more difficult and even dangerous.
So are you talking about finding a more secluded/rural area to go to? I do have a rather large state park about 10 minutes away from me.

When you're just starting, is you first priority to get set up at home to "bug in", or get a plan and supplies together to "bug out". I have neither at this point.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So are you talking about finding a more secluded/rural area to go to? I do have a rather large state park about 10 minutes away from me.

When you're just starting, is you first priority to get set up at home to "bug in", or get a plan and supplies together to "bug out". I have neither at this point.
State parks are perfect, and legal for you to scout.

Erecting a shelter isn't as hard as one might think. On my groups "camp as you please" event, we built 3 different shelters in less than 30 minutes. These would be considered moderately long term structures.

I am not a big fan of backpacking tents, but that's personal choice. Even the higher end ones don't seem to hold up.

For short term events, They work just fine.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
The forums and the responses new people get are sometimes intimidating or even insulting.
Over the years I have received several complaints about members being rude to noobs. For the most part, there is not too much that can be done about it. Moderators can not police the forum 24/7/365 and read every thread.

As for the threats, the moderators and I have received a couple ourselves.

As for the videos, you can lead a horse to water but you can not make him/her drink. I think example videos and articles work best. Instead of saying what people should do, I show people what I am doing, and end it with that. Then let the viewer make up their own mind.

Its like my videos about buying / stockpiling various types of survival gear. Fishing videos probably do the worst in view counts, and firearm videos do the best. But to have a balanced channel, I think one should cover a wide range of topics.

When dealing with survivalism, I do not think its enough just to stockpile bullets and beans.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Over the years I have received several complaints about members being rude to noobs. For the most part, there is not too much that can be done about it. Moderators can not police the forum 24/7/365 and read every thread.

As for the threats, the moderators and I have received a couple ourselves.

As for the videos, you can lead a horse to water but you can not make him/her drink. I think example videos and articles work best. Instead of saying what people should do, I show people what I am doing, and end it with that. Then let the viewer make up their own mind.

Its like my videos about buying / stockpiling various types of survival gear. Fishing videos probably do the worst in view counts, and firearm videos do the best. But to have a balanced channel, I think one should cover a wide range of topics.

When dealing with survivalism, I do not think its enough just to stockpile bullets and beans.
I completely agree.

When you hear about how much work, reading, or life changes it really takes, people continue the sleeping mind set of convenience.

Why Learn to reload, when I can own twice as man bullets as I assume I require? Why Learn to grow a garden when I can stock pile 2 sheds filled with Dried noodles?

But when you get into it, doing it, A lot of those old ways starts to fade away.

I hope to inspire that.

I probably should do a fire arm video, just to mix things up.

Everyone knows the ak47 is the perfect survival rifle. :D:

·
7,504 Posts

I like the balance, I just didn't get around to the fishing vids yet.

Seriously, for energy out compared to calories in, fishing could do more for us than many activities, especially if you fish where you can set the pole up with a bell on it, and forage close by. I think I'd like the results of using fish-traps, and have learned a couple of ways to make them, but haven't tried any as I'm not sure if they are legal under current fish & game laws. Angling (hook and line fishing, as opposed to using a cast-net or trap for those who aren't familiar with the phrases,) requires knowing your local waters, the fish found in the area, and what conditions to look for in order to get them on the end of your line. And with the trend being more and more to instant gratification and shorter attention spans all the time, I don't see too many people taking the time to "learn how to fish."

Except for the adrenaline jockeys who desire to go into water-moccasin infested waters, and stick their arms into places that might have a medium 'gator or large channel cat, and use their own hand as bait. They LOVE to learn new places to fish. And last I checked, the aforementioned stunt is still called "noodling," and is illegal in Texas.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Anybody else think Crutch has kinda a sexy voice? :)

Did I really TYPE THAT??

Reactions: Crutch

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
Anybody else think Crutch has kinda a sexy voice? :)

Did I really TYPE THAT??
whenever i read his posts previously i always had an issac hayes thing going on in my mind... dunno why, probalby too much south park.

also i now watched the vid... buy yourself a casio pathfinder when costco gets them back in stock, 100 bucks for a pretty darn nice set of functions (barometer [hence altimeter], thermometer, and an array of time keepers [count up, count down], solar powered and atomic clock sync ensures you always got the right time; provided you know what zone you are in).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts