Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to design a smaller knife with the Sole purpose of Defense. I did some knife fighting training with some guys, Philipino style. These guys believed in Karambits. I owned a few by Cold steel and wound up giving them away, but always employed a sense of a Tactical Edge in my TRex, GZilla, and my soon to come "Carneyedge". Why? I want my designs, whether medium hard use bush knives or large hard use choppers with the ability to be used as fighting combat blades, & they excel at that. If you can't see the large GZilla doubling as a fighting knife, you haven't looked very hard, & surely haven't held or used one. So when my beautiful wife wanted a small defense knife, I jumped at the chance to design one for her!
I wanted her to have something that could easily fit clipped in her boot, belt, inside of her pants or in her purse. I also wanted to employ the feel of a Karambit that allows maximum backhand slashing & stabbing force with the least amount of effort. So I came up with a Karambit feel, but a Clip point tango tip. With this design, you have a defense fighting knife that also stabs Effortlessly, and the added bonus of using the blade for everyday common knife use. I can't wait to get it to test it.( It's her knife, so she'll be doing the testing.) I will post the specs before the weekend is up. Paul just sent me these pics to tease us. I love the fact she loves steel like I do.
If y'all haven't noticed, most of my designs have a reptile theme(TRex, GZilla, soon to come Carneyedge, Raptor)...and Pmoore really brought this out with his homemade Green Burlap Micarta. He must have buffed it, because instead of having the rough look of Burlap Micarta, it has a smoother look that looks just like Gator hide. That's why she named her PMoore "Gator"!
The pics he sent aren't the best in the world, but there will be more to come. I hope to post all of the specs before the weekend is over. Notice I also employed an exposed lanyard hole to double as a scary exposed skull crusher to deliver Serious head trauma.
The "Gator" is for those who want the fighting power of karambits they use, but also want the versatility of a clip point tanto style blade that can double as a sufficient conventional knife in the bush or cement jungle. I see it as a Great Companion to a TRex, GZilla, & Carneyedge. Again, I will post specs and prices before weekend is over. Truly my first attempt at this style knife. Let me know if your wanting to add the "Gator" to your EDC. Thanks my friends at Survivaltopics.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a comparison of my wife's " Gator " defense knife on my 10" GZilla blade. The Gator would make an Awesome back up fighting knife for any soldier, and any personal defense, whether you're male or female.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul, u know how "Patient" I am. The Carneyedge is calling my name Bro! We'll order the 1/8" Green G10 tomorrow, for you to overlay it with black Canvas Micarta.
After 40 years of using and designing Knives, I believe the blade length/and design with the long recurved handle....is gonna be my new #1! I can see me in the swamps, GZilla on my chest Bandolier, and my "Carneyedge" strapped more than likely on my left hip, for quick backdraws.
I was going horizontal, but the OA length is a little to big.
I am right handed but love to wear my blade in left hip (with right handed sheath) because of the extreme backslash power & precision you can get that way. The sheath will be a vegetable tanned, brown leather high grade pouch sheath formed to the blade and handle. The part of sheath that goes up the handle, will be a "Throat design" with a Sam Browne. I may change a few things along the way. I just can't wait to get it dirty!!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Weird knife, the angle in it. Like a folder that got rusted half open. It should do some damage though. I can see you in the swamps slashing gators!
The skull crusher is almost hopeless. The hand will assuredly slide down the handle (sweaty, bloody) and offer less impact/damage than your imagination implies. You ought to add something to keep the hand on the handle.
Otherwise it's a nice knife.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weird knife, the angle in it. Like a folder that got rusted half open. It should do some damage though. I can see you in the swamps slashing gators!
The skull crusher is almost hopeless. The hand will assuredly slide down the handle (sweaty, bloody) and offer less impact/damage than your imagination implies. You ought to add something to keep the hand on the handle.
Otherwise it's a nice knife.
It's a knife I designed with Goblin. They're ways of using a lanyard to keep a knife from sliding or come out your hand. People that use large blades really need to practice it. Thanks anyway

·
Registered
614 Posts
The hole is at the bottom. I don't see how it can stop the hand from sliding down upon a head strike. A lanyard wouldn't help.
Give it a try. Smack something hard enough. The lanyard, attached at the bottom, will not stop the hand from sliding down.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The hole is at the bottom. I don't see how it can stop the hand from sliding down upon a head strike. A lanyard wouldn't help.
Give it a try. Smack something hard enough. The lanyard, attached at the bottom, will not stop the hand from sliding down.
I use my GZilla and it works. I believe this design will work. I will test it for shore cuz. There's ways to do things

·
Registered
855 Posts
Woah... this looks like a nice little knife (no offense about the "little" part... not trying to diminish it or anything like that).

Also I'd like to say cudos to you for designing and creating a knife for your wife. Seems like an awesome project, and I wish I could do something similar for my wife. Instead... I bought her a silver cat figurine for valentines day... hey... it's something!

I see that you wrote that you tried to combine a karambit and a tanto and I think that the result you managed to produce would work really nice as a reverse grip knife in combat, but not so much as a karambit. (From my experience, there are differences in fighting styles between the two. There are many things that you can do with a traditional karambit that you can't do with this knife... and the other way around ofcourse).

Anyhow, this seems like an awesome present for your wife and I hope she likes it.

Great job as always. (Seen quite a bit of knife posts from you, and you seem to be quite knowledgeable in the field so... keep up the good work sir!)

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Woah... this looks like a nice little knife (no offense about the "little" part... not trying to diminish it or anything like that).

Also I'd like to say cudos to you for designing and creating a knife for your wife. Seems like an awesome project, and I wish I could do something similar for my wife. Instead... I bought her a silver cat figurine for valentines day... hey... it's something!

I see that you wrote that you tried to combine a karambit and a tanto and I think that the result you managed to produce would work really nice as a reverse grip knife in combat, but not so much as a karambit. (From my experience, there are differences in fighting styles between the two. There are many things that you can do with a traditional karambit that you can't do with this knife... and the other way around ofcourse).

Anyhow, this seems like an awesome present for your wife and I hope she likes it.

Great job as always. (Seen quite a bit of knife posts from you, and you seem to be quite knowledgeable in the field so... keep up the good work sir!)
Thanks a lot bro. I was going for a defense knife that can easily double as a usable blade for normal knife use. Again thanks for the compliments and understanding what I was going for

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.