Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
You should come around when Im shooting any of mine with the Pmags, and especially when the suppressor is on the gun. Its probably a 25% failure to lock back on empty with them.

Never had that issue with the GI mags.
It is what it is....... I have never had that issue with pmags either unless i wasn't paying attention and loaded 31. All my pmags have 1/8in give at 30 and merely take a mild slap to seat them

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
It is what it is.......
It is. I just find its easier to download them by two. Then, I do get the "mild slap" thing.

I do like the Pmags, when they work and fit in the gun. It is annoying when they dont lock back, but its no big deal if youre used to reloading AK's and HK's, etc.

I would suggest though if youre using them and having the BHO issue, that if you do a tactical reload on a mag thats been shot down some, that you reload it like an AK, and charge the gun after the new mag is in it.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I've done a lot of reading online and basically came up with a "don't worry about it" answer but lets see what discussion this gins up...

How long would you be comfortable storing a PMAG (specifically, gen2 I guess) in a fully loaded state? That is, 30 rounds of 5.56NATO. Seems like there is no real issue leaving them loaded, but the official testing I've seen only qualifies the timeframe as "long term" without quantifying it.
The PMAG hasn't been around long enough yet for a actual solid answer to your question ref " long term"...... unless your definition of long term coincides with pmag history....so to speak. If memory serves. ......they have been around for 10 years. ( I have boots older than that.....lol)

My idea of long term starts at 40 years.

Year mags were loaded = 1970 November 1st.

Ammo type= M80 ball

Magazine type= USGI 20rd M14 magazines. ( 20rds loaded)

Method of storage= 7.62 nato ammo cans ( 30cal cans)

Starting 7 years ago, we open a can and pull out 1 magazine each year on Nov 1st , then run the livin crap out of it thru 7 different M14 type rifles along with several different loads of ammunition.None have failed as yet.

Currently working the 2017 magazine and no problems as yet. That mag has been sitting in an ammo can fully loaded with 20 rds for 47 years.

Edit: Promag 20rd. M14 mags have trouble being inserted while bolt is closed. USGI M14 mags do not have this trouble. Reason= USGI has 3mm of room while pro mag has 1mm of room. Don't know if that's the case with 5.56mm gen2 mags vs USGI 5.56mm mags, but it's not an issue if the bolt is open prior to inserting a given mag regardless. ( The M16 was designed to be operated in this way.) Tac reloads go to USGI mags in my experience. ( If this type of reload comes into play, 20rds is more desirable than 18 ....and 30 vs 28 via use thru our M4A1 carbines at work.)

·
Registered
10,089 Posts
I won get into spring creep, but I've read that the lips may/will deform from the constant spring pressure. I only have two 10 round magaxines that I keep loaded and so far I haven't experienced the deformation.

·
Threepin'
4,006 Posts
PMAGs are GTG for longer term (anything over a year IMO) storage. I have several that have been sitting around fully loaded 99% of the time for 5+ years. I'll occasionally pull them out, fire a few for testing, load them back up and put them back in storage. These are the mags I keep on my belt and in my PC.

Instances of people storing loaded PMAGs for similar time periods or longer abound on the internet. They haven't been around as long as Stoner mags, but it appears they maintain their structural integrity when constantly loaded for very long periods of time.

If you're that concerned about the feed lips deforming, buy extras just for storage. They're $12 each. But you don't need to worry about it.

Mag springs wearing out from magazines being "fully loaded" is a myth. They wear out from repeated USE.

As to your question, I would be comfortable storing them for years and years. Decades. Whatever. I have a *few* of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually they do, if you carefully watch when you clamp it down, it actually pushes the rounds down a **** hair, thus relieving the tension on the guide.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I have left all my magazines including Pmags loaded. I normally only put 29 in the 30 round mags and 18 in the 20 round mags. But I have never had a function problem from years and years of storage.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts