Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Nunquam Non Paratus
1,526 Posts
Why, they are engineered to hold 30 and have extra room to depress the follower when the cover is attached. There is no reason to download a PMAG.
It's a really a function of a fully loaded magazine being difficult to lock into the magwell due to spring pressure. Loading to 28 keeps an even number of rounds in the magazine making it easy to pull magazine and check that a round stripped as well as avoiding the seating issue. How much harder it is to seat a full magazine varies by rifle as well.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
That reality is not applicable to a PMAG, they have extra room to allow the follower to slightly depress, even when fully loaded. There is no difference in feel or function when loading a partial or full PMAG on a closed bolt.
My experience has been, with 30 rounds in them, you have to give them a good slap to get them to seat properly, just like my GI mags. Download them 2 rounds, and its a good bit easier.

·
Registered
81 Posts
There would still be pressure coming up from the bottom, pushing the round up into the cover; so would the release of pressure on the very edges of the follower really make any difference, if the mag is just sitting there loaded? The material used for the follower isn't that malleable is it?

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
Its not the follower thats the issue (if an issue even really exists), its the feed lips on the mag, and any pressure exerted there, and where it may go from there.

The problem with the old Cobray "Zytel" MAC mags (obviously not the same quality of the MagPuls), was the loaded mags tended to bulge and split, usually along the seam in the back, under the pressure. It wasnt wise to leave them loaded, and they even split just with use.

The front of the mags also used to blow out from impact with the nose of the bullets being driven into them.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
dang, i remember that,

Its not the follower thats the issue (if an issue even really exists), its the feed lips on the mag, and any pressure exerted there, and where it may go from there.

The problem with the old Cobray "Zytel" MAC mags (obviously not the same quality of the MagPuls), was the loaded mags tended to bulge and split, usually along the seam in the back, under the pressure. It wasnt wise to leave them loaded, and they even split just with use.

The front of the mags also used to blow out from impact with the nose of the bullets being driven into them.
ones that ruined me for a long time on poly mags were the RAM-LINE magazines. I finally tried the P mags about a year ago, ond went to them for 300BK.
damnable ramline split everywhere.

·
Space Force Recruit
1,353 Posts
If you've got a bunch of magazines, keep like 20 of them loaded, store the equivalent ammo of space left in all of your magazines on 5.56 stripper clips, buy yourself a few clip guides (I like the StripLULA loader by MagLULA, at least I think that's what it's called), toss them in the same can as the ammo on stripper clips. So if you filled 20 magazines with ammo, and have 20 magazines left, 600rds on stripper clips for 20 30rd magazines.

It'll save space in the ammo can and if you've got other rifles that don't accept STANAG magazines, you don't have to unload the magazines to use that ammo. Also clips don't have springs so you won't have to worry about springs wearing out even though it's unlikely.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
It's a really a function of a fully loaded magazine being difficult to lock into the magwell due to spring pressure. Loading to 28 keeps an even number of rounds in the magazine making it easy to pull magazine and check that a round stripped as well as avoiding the seating issue. How much harder it is to seat a full magazine varies by rifle as well.
The difference in spring pressure between 28 and 30 rounds is not that drastic, granted I have never measured it but anyone can feel the difference. Feel how much pressure you need to load round 30. Is it that much different than 28? Not really. Rifle shouldn't make any difference at all in how difficult it is to load on closed bolt unless it is way out of spec, which I have seen happen with billet upper receivers (anyone remember the IWI steel magazines sold for really cheap about 4-5 years ago? Quite a few refused to seat on some billet uppers and they had to make multiple revisions to the feed lip design to get it right, feed lips were at the tall end of spec and were seating before mag-release could drop into slot to retain the magazine in the rifle). This is the beauty of PMAGS: they work with pretty much anything that's even close to spec.

Deadmeat 99, try loading a full 30 round mag on a closed bolt
Last I looked, this topic is about PMAGs, not aluminum standard issue USGI (yes download those, they are junk). If you can't load a 30-round PMAG on a closed bolt you have (probably in this order)

1) mistakenly loaded 31 rounds, which I've seen happen
2) a non-spec rifle
3) a defective PMAG

Let's just put this for all to read: THE PMAG HAS EXCESS ROOM IN THE BOTTOM TO ALLOW THE FOLLOWER TO MOVE WHEN THE MAGAZINE IS FULLY LOADED WITH 30 ROUNDS.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
Let's just put this for all to read: THE PMAG HAS EXCESS ROOM IN THE BOTTOM TO ALLOW THE FOLLOWER TO MOVE WHEN THE MAGAZINE IS FULLY LOADED WITH 30 ROUNDS.
You can keep screaming it, but its doesnt mean its going to make things actually work. If I want to get a fully loaded PMag in any of my guns (that will take them) with a closed bolt, I have to about beat it in. Just like I do with my GI mags with 30 rounds in them. 28 (or 18) works a lot better with both.

I just compared one of my GI mags to a Pmag, and the OAL is only about 1/8" difference. Dont know if that would actually make a difference or not, but it doesnt seem to work for me.

As far as the "they are junk" comment, I have to disagree. Ive got a boatload of USGI mags I got back in the early 70s that Ive used all along, and still use fairly regularly today. They have never been a problem. I did recently upgrade a bunch with the Magpul anti tilt followers, but to tell the truth, I really dont see any difference in how they work.

The big advantage to the GI and Colt mags is, they work/fit in ALL my rifles. The PMags dont. Some fit, some dont, and on many occasions, I dont get bolt lock back on empty with any of them. Good thing Im used to my AK's and HK's, so that part isnt a big deal. ;)

·
Nunquam Non Paratus
1,526 Posts
No ****, otherwise the magazine wouldn't seat at all with 30 rounds in it. I'm pretty sure no one said it couldn't be done. However the pressure increases as you reach the maximum number of rounds and at least on some rifles they do not seat on a closed bolt as easily as with 28 rounds. I have seen people fumble reloads because they didn't get the magazine fully seated when loaded to 30 rounds, reducing the rounds loaded to 28 helps to mitigate the potential issue.

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
No ****, otherwise the magazine wouldn't seat at all with 30 rounds in it. I'm pretty sure no one said it couldn't be done. However the pressure increases as you reach the maximum number of rounds and at least on some rifles they do not seat on a closed bolt as easily as with 28 rounds. I have seen people fumble reloads because they didn't get the magazine fully seated when loaded to 30 rounds, reducing the rounds loaded to 28 helps to mitigate the potential issue.
You said RE-load right? Never seen a AR that didn't have the bolt locked open on a reload that was operating properly

·
Registered
207 Posts
I load mine with 20. Figure I'm more than safe there from any spring fatigue, and if I can't dispatch whatever it is with 20 rounds, another 10 Probably won't help me much.

·
Nunquam Non Paratus
1,526 Posts
You said RE-load right? Never seen a AR that didn't have the bolt locked open on a reload that was operating properly
Most of the time I load a magazine into my weapon at the range it is for a tactical reload. I try not to let my weapon run dry, so I am often inserting a magazine against a closed bolt.

You are correct of course as to the bolt locking open. It is not an issue when the bolt is open. That really doesn't change the discussion about loading on a closed bolt though.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
I load mine with 20. Figure I'm more than safe there from any spring fatigue, and if I can't dispatch whatever it is with 20 rounds, another 10 Probably won't help me much.
Springs are fatigued from repeated expansion and compression, not from sitting compressed. You're fine no matter if you have 20 or 30 loaded.

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
Most of the time I load a magazine into my weapon at the range it is for a tactical reload. I try not to let my weapon run dry, so I am often inserting a magazine against a closed bolt.

You are correct of course as to the bolt locking open. It is not an issue when the bolt is open. That really doesn't change the discussion about loading on a closed bolt though.
A tactical reload is done to top off the rifle before the shooting starts back up, not as its going. So there should be any fumbling going on

·
Nunquam Non Paratus
1,526 Posts
A tactical reload is done to top off the rifle before the shooting starts back up, not as its going. So there should be any fumbling going on
I am aware of what a tactical reload is for. I have seen people fail to fully seat a fully loaded magazine when performing a tactical reload many times. When the reload is taking place, does not negate the possibility for someone fumbling a reload.

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
I am aware of what a tactical reload is for. I have seen people fail to fully seat a fully loaded magazine when performing a tactical reload many times. When the reload is taking place, does not negate the possibility for someone fumbling a reload.
OhhhhhhKay

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
You should come around when Im shooting any of mine with the Pmags, and especially when the suppressor is on the gun. Its probably a 25% failure to lock back on empty with them.

Never had that issue with the GI mags.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts