Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With prices being so low on pmags, and with gen 2 and gen 3 being readily available, is there a reason to buy one over the other?

I just received an order from primary arms - 1 - 20 round pmag, 2 - 30 round gen 3 pmags, and a single 30 round ak-47 pmag. Primary arms had their gen 3 pmags on sale for $8.99. While they were on sale I ordered a couple. The sale at primary arms is over.

Ineedmoregear.com has pmag gen 2 on sale for $8.99 - http://ineedmoregear.com/featured-m...mag-magazines/magpul-pmag-moe-223rem-30rd-blk

With both gen 2 and gen 3 being the same price on sale for $8.99, do you see a reason to buy one over the other?

Gen 2 does not come with a dustcover, but so what.

Gen 3 comes with a dustcover, but the dustcover does not fit on the bottom of the magazine like gen 1. But is there a reason why you personally are buying one over the other?

I am buying whatever goes on sale, whether it be gen 2 or gen 3 I honestly do not care.

I heard a rumor that pmag was phasing out the colored gen 2 pmags, but I am still able to find them just about everywhere.

·
crustulum latro
7,715 Posts
If its not broke don't fix it. Whichever is cheaper.

Reactions: Revelation

·
The Time Is Now
6,398 Posts
If you have an AR then it doesn't matter. Both will be fine for you. The gen3 is for the other guns that takes AR mags.

Personally, I would buy the gen three, because who knows what other weapons you are going to get in the future and also it comes with a dust cover, which is nice if you store your mags with ammo in it because it depresses the rounds to take stress of the lips.

Just my opinion.

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
Same price, I would take Gen 3 for the previous reasons mentioned above (higher compatibility, upgraded design) if they are the same price. That is usually not the case and Gen 2s are usually significantly ($3-4) cheaper, allowing you to stock more. I don't buy ammo or accessories for firearms I "may" have in the future so Gen 3s really have no allure to me unless they are the same price as Gen 2s (because the 2s work just fine anyway).

·
Marine Veteran
240 Posts
I heard a rumor that pmag was phasing out the colored gen 2 pmags, but I am still able to find them just about everywhere.

Magpul is an industry partner at a ar15.com. There, the Magpul rep confirmed that at years end, they will cease making colored M2 (gen 2) PMAG's. They also said they have no intention to make M3 (gen 3) PMAG's in any color other than black in the future. They will also quit making anything in Foliage Green at years end.

Until then, they are making colored PMAG's and you will be able to find them until they are all sold out. After that, nothing but M2 and M3 black PMAG's.

·
Registered
199 Posts
79.99 for a 10 pack gen 2 pmags at DSG arms. Over 100.00....free shipping (if sale still on). I have at least a couple hundred gen 1 and gen 2 mags. Also, D&H mags with Magpul follower for 6.99 at PSA....be wary of long wait times from PSA.

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
Magpul is an industry partner at a ar15.com. There, the Magpul rep confirmed that at years end, they will cease making colored M2 (gen 2) PMAG's. They also said they have no intention to make M3 (gen 3) PMAG's in any color other than black in the future. They will also quit making anything in Foliage Green at years end.

Until then, they are making colored PMAG's and you will be able to find them until they are all sold out. After that, nothing but M2 and M3 black PMAG's.
Dang, need to get some tan ones then for a future build. Thanks for the heads up. Any reason for the change? Seems like they are limiting their future sales and allowing another company to get in on their market domination. It's not like mags are rocket science.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
Dang, need to get some tan ones then for a future build. Thanks for the heads up. Any reason for the change? Seems like they are limiting their future sales and allowing another company to get in on their market domination. It's not like mags are rocket science.
This is why my FDE Gen2's are happily chilling in their wrappers. Sadly, amusingly, total collector value, lol!

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
The colored plastic isn't as durable as the black.

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
Got a link for that?
I think black contains more carbon than clear,but pigments are what make the color.
I trust him but I would like to see that info as well. I would think Magpul wouldn't really care and would sell more mags with the caveat that the colored ones are less durable.

Looks like I need to buy some more. Anyone know when the production ceases (and the price will therefore take off)?

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
Got a link for that?
I think black contains more carbon than clear,but pigments are what make the color.
i think he is being facetious... black is a color... all of the plastic is chemically the same, they just add different pigmented plastics to the mix to change the end result... i suspect most of the starting polymer is actually white/pigment-less.

the only physical difference in application is that black will actually absorb more heat from the infrared spectrum then the other mags as they will reflect some of it....

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I agree with all the recommendations to get whatver's cheapest, but didn't Kev say he could get either version for the same price? If so, might as well go with gen 3, IMO.
I've also read a couple times that the black ones were stronger, but haven't read anything substative that sold me on that. I hope not, 'cause all I have are a few gen 2's in FDE.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Krylon spray paint sticks to all of them equally well if it's an issue.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
i think he is being facetious... black is a color... all of the plastic is chemically the same, they just add different pigmented plastics to the mix to change the end result... i suspect most of the starting polymer is actually white/pigment-less.

the only physical difference in application is that black will actually absorb more heat from the infrared spectrum then the other mags as they will reflect some of it....
No, it is actually a documented issue. The black is a carbon black, and actually has different properties than the other magazine colors. The colored Gen 1's are especially susceptible to being less durable, as Magpul didn't start testing individual colors for durability until the issues became known around the time of the Gen 2's, when they started playing with the mixtures to keep them consistent.

I think the decision to switch only to black production stems more from meeting volume production demands, but the colored mags are different than the black. This is the reason they have not made smoke mags, as they haven't been able to match durability.

·
OTP Rebel
997 Posts
IMHO there is no mixing pigments after the pellets are made.
It would be cheaper to order all the same color pellets than different ones and if black happens to be stronger then that's the reason

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
IMHO there is no mixing pigments after the pellets are made.
It would be cheaper to order all the same color pellets than different ones and if black happens to be stronger then that's the reason
i think they add colored pellets to translucent pellets to get the final color... and i am sure the mix is proprietary, so unless you work for magpul, i dont know that daemon would be privy to that corporate secret. i suspect their polymer has some % of nylon, which is also used for legos essentially.

pigment beads are used for other polymer applications and compose only about 2% of the weight of the end product.... check out 0:44 of the vid... the pigments themselves can be different chemicals (white plastics are generally titanium dioxide; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_dioxide)... but most of these are inert and wont necessarily change the physical properties of the end product.... i suppose it magpul was using carbon pigments (as daemon mentioned) that were not of small enough size, they could have created 'carbon/graphite' inclusions in their product, which could cause catastrophic failures, but i think their QC is better then that for the most part.

anyway... the gen3s also have the divets near the bottom for the numbering system, which my gen2 windows dont have.... so if you want recesses for your paint to stick, the gen3s got that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts