Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Barefoot Hillbilly
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably the weirdest question, and if anyone that is a plummer or knows how this stuff works, I'm really wanting to know how this could work, if at all.

I'm thinking about building an underground shelter away from any plumming/public sewer. I'm wanting to beable to have the toilet and possibly a sink in it as well.

What I want to know is, how can I make this work without back up and the smell leaking back into the main area without any plumming/public sewer? Also, is this even really possible?

Thanks!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Or you could just have a large Ceptic tank buried in the vicinity of your shelter, thats the only way I know of if you aren't connected to public utilities.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
you could go the cheap route and just get a couple bags of lime

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
shelter plumming system

put the toliet and shower on a inside the shelter system with two tanks one for black water system and one for grey water system that you pump to the surface useing hand pumping system out to a drain tube unit
the tank sized are 100 gallon sized for grey water and and 150 gallon sized for
black water
the grey water tank is design to flush your toliet system is gets its water form the sink and shower area
the tank should last you about 3-to 4 days before you have to pump it out
with attched to the tank out is pumped forced chewer [cant think of the word for that thing right now]typle to break up the big clumps of stuff when push out the tank into the tube to pumped out side
useing custom bult rv style tanks that are made to fit the area that you will have them in
the tank can be made to sit on heavy duty springs system with nylon webbing straps holding it form the wall like cheyene moutain base sits on
that were i got the idea the springs sit on a flat platform then mount to the bottom of the unit
make sure you put a top loading port system on the black water tank soto empty the small protable toliet system that you will be useing the closed nbc area so you pump the small toliet into the bigger typle tank
with pumping done with a hand pump system with a t-typle couple to allow to switch the tanks to the outhose system with the hose has a gate value to seal it for nbc typle area with a screw typle backing the unit up
the out hose system is 4.inch sized flexable heavy duty hose system with support on the hose up the though the entance area where it is pump it out to a drain filed that is buryed under the dirt area with a 2-prong typle fork system going down in a sight angle to have the water and other items be push into the water rock bed useing diff sized pea gravel area with this has a cut in half typle dome over the rocks to help protect the rock bed
the forks are at angle in which forces the waste and water into a diff areas
this area i would plant diff typle of plants to help hide the fact that there is a shelter waste pipe in the area
i had to plan to seal up the shelter up for the 72.hours of a nbc attack then running the test to see if the air is ok to pump into the shelter thought the shelter air filtering system
i am redesign my old shelter system with new updated gear
here is want i have redesign so far
the shelter battie bank system with add a solar battie charger system to keep the battie bank charge have a switch system to switch bank over when charge the other batties banks as need with a emp typle kill switch system to protect the batties as need it may kill the small bank but not the other two large banks the small bank is the first shelter battie unit to get all the items going then switch to the larger typle banks in the long run
reworked 12.volt car alarm system that tells me when the top hatch has been open and reworked montion sensor system to tell me where they are in the top area of shelter hatch area
new batties
mini hydro elec plant system to charge the battie bank
new elec switching gear
led lights for the shelters
new power invertors for to runs some 110 volt power gear
mircowave oven with invertors system
mini tankless typle elec power water heater
redesign bathroom with new flush up toliet and shower system with shower
stall design to have small give to it for nbc shock wave
new typle n-10-style can stowage system with rack unit
hatch covers to keep out the cold air that comes down the entance
plus many more
my shelter was bult in the 80.s so lot of the tech stuff is old so trying update
with new typle of gear
before you put your shelter in the ground go to the line x webstite and check out there products i am planning shooting the outside first with line-x-first then recover the outside again with heavy duty rubber typle piant then the inside the shelter area planning on useing the white color line-x-paint to bright the area up to read and other things
go see sharon packer at the utah shelter system call and talk to her she is at this phone number-801-380-2932:)
she is nicest person to talk to about seting up your shelter
i talk to her about building a new shelter for me
when finsh with the update i had plan to give to my dauther and her childern it will fit them perfect and planing to build a new one for me
go and print out all the ideas that you want in a shelter then put them into a folder and get each one as need for the ideas and draw out the basic out line of the item and where it will fit inside the shelter area mech room with diff groups of items that need to be togerther so to work
sorry for the long post trying to help you get some ideas for your shelter
i plan on liveing in my shelter after the nuclear war i figure that my home would be destroyed so this will be my new home for me
plus if are planning to cook in the shelter system think about this try to use vc typle of cooking air shafts system that they use to let the cooking smell out of ther underground hideouts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
sorry about some of the sentences that seam to have words left of them i mind goes fast than i can typle in the words sometimes

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Some questions: how far underground is this underground shelter? What is the soil type in its area?Is this in a urban environment or out in the boonies? Building it on flat ground or into a hillside?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
also the hose system can be unhooked and screw typle top put onto the end where it connects to the outside section to make it safe dureing nuclear attack wth outside section has a screw on seal system to keep the items comeing back into the shelter
the outside pipe should be at a sight downward angle so waste will not come back into the shelter entence hook up section
so when you screw the two part togerther the unit fuctions at the right hieght to force the waste into the drain field

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
As to the original question in the first post, how does the smell stay out of the shelter?

It is called a trap, if you look under sink, the drain comes down from the bottom of the sink the pipe comes down and to what looks like a "J" then goes up and goes into the wall. What happens is the water lays trapped in the "trap" so that the smells and gases in the septic won't come back thur the sink drain. It is the same principle in a toilet, except it is in the part under the seat, bofore it is connected to the pipe in the floor with a wax ring.

The problem comes in that after a period of time the water will evaporate over time, if you don't put down the toilet or sink occasionally.

Two easiest options would be once a ,onth to go down inside and pour a quart in each, or they make a product called a "primer trap", it is the same trap but has a water fitting on it that meters out water into it so it won't run dry. There might be a form of anti-freeze that slows the evaporation process down to the point that you might have to go in once a year. This is a minumium you ought to be checking it anyway.

One other thing, it seems that your water tanks are very small for what you propose, they need to be much bigger.

The thing ytou are refering to about chopping up or grinding the stuff (i think) you are reffering to a sewer ejection pump, they need about a 20 amp breaker and 120 elect.

I would cause if you are going to use this for a nuclear exchange, that you don't have to go outside to hook things up and have more water so you stay inside if you have too.

Just a few thoughts

Reactions: hank2222

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
shelter plumming system p-2-

:)the tanks are design for a single person not for a family of 4 to 5 poeple so get bigger typle tanks system
they make a hand power swewer ejection pump system design for sailboats
the system is design that when pump the waste though the pipe it hits the ejection pump and grinds up the lumps and other items in the waste then it pumped up and out of the shelter useing hand pumping system to push the waste into the outside pipeing system to flushed away as need
also you can hook the filled grey water tank to help flush out the black water tank when you have done pumping the waste out and sime flush the inside the tank to get the waste out of the as need aslo you can design use a water flush system to help flush out the pipe system
when in a nuclear exchange i had plan on useing a small camping typle toliet system for the first 48.hours so have all the ground shock and other thing be gone before a start useing the shelter system
i try to go up there about once every two months and check on things and change out the everday typle filter items that we use to draw the air into the shelter and run the battie charger system to keep the batties up to stuff as need
we keep the nbc filter sealed up in the plastc bag so break it out when need
now i try to spend a weekend up as need going over the shelter system to make sure they are up to specs as need
when my wife is alive we use the shelter a part time vaction cabin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts