Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have BOL's how have you plotted your trip? I have a few BOL's depending on the situation two of them are several hundred miles away. Although driving the routes is the best thing to do as an alternative what I have done is plotted the route using satellite pictures from Google Map and Google Earth. I prefer the satellite images to a normal map because it shows you the type of terrain you'll be crossing and many unmarked roads/paths. This is a great resource and was wondering if any others use them or what other sources you might use.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wow, I've never thought of using Google Earth like that before. But I have used it and know you could. I'm actually in the early stages of finding maps and such for my BOL and how to get to it. So I will certainly be using that resource. Thanks!

Paul

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Using Sat pics you can see powerline easements and follow them. Many times these easements will follow major highways but can't be seen from them, a good alternative if the roads get log jammed. They are also an excellent way to scope out water routes and mark docks and ports that don't show up on regular maps.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It might be expensive in the short term, but there is no substitute for doing a *dry-run* to your BOL(s).

cheers, Herne
Can't argue with that but for those that can't make the trip or would like to get an idea of what to expect I find this an excellent resource.

·
I travel light
2,026 Posts
Yes, using google for tracing the road to your BOL is a good idea. That way the government will be able to get straight to you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, because the government will be interested in rounding up every single person it possibly can, expending as much resources necessary to do it with. Paranoid much, sir? :p

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
For those of you that have BOL's how have you plotted your trip? I have a few BOL's depending on the situation two of them are several hundred miles away. Although driving the routes is the best thing to do as an alternative what I have done is plotted the route using satellite pictures from Google Map and Google Earth. I prefer the satellite images to a normal map because it shows you the type of terrain you'll be crossing and many unmarked roads/paths. This is a great resource and was wondering if any others use them or what other sources you might use.
Reply]
I know someone who has property, and a cabin in the mountains. Her parents left it 20 years ago and moved closer to an urban area. if something happens and I have not prepared my own place, I am going there. She at least has survival skills from growing up there and having to be totally self sufficient, living off the land and such.

I used Google earth to plot a route through the least possible populated areas, and then mark that route on a regular series of paper maps that i would use enroute.

The Google earth allowed me to really zoom in and see what was there, from farm houses, to comercial buildings, to small residential areas that were not big enough to be marked on the map.

·
I travel light
2,026 Posts
They should have plenty of time. Anyway my area is so remote that even with google can´t be traced. :D: I took care of confirming that. Yes I´m freaking paranoid man. Sorry about it, can´t avoid it. When a couple of friends have been kidnapped, beaten and disappeared by an oppresive government after a coup detat trying, like those here in Venezuela back in the 92-98 you start wondering (if you´re smart enough) if sometimes low profile is good....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts