Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
duct tape engineer
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Companies that sell above ground, premade, NBC bunker. We have considered some options for "creating" something indoors but in pricing what we could do on our own, I think we would save money (and of course time) with something prefab. Looking for East Coast, small and inexpensive.

Thanks everyone!

·
Civil Defense Volunteer
76 Posts
You could also look for companies that sell prefab root cellars in order to widen your options. They tend of course to have to be modified in order to work as a bunker/fallout shelter whatnot but might be cheaper than the purpose built bunkers. If fallout is what you're worried about they'd do a good job as long as you pile enough dirt or gravel or whatnot on top and maybe swap the door for a steel one and add a cone or similar as roof over the air inlet pipe as to not have fallout particles enter the shelter (some of the pictured ones use a pretty neat solution that won't even attract attention if one is wanting to keep a low profile), be mindful of course of snow in wintertime as to not suddenly have the ground level very close to the top of the air vent which would defeat the purpose of having it elevated off the ground.

Granted, they would not withstand a blast wave as well as an underground structure but then again you should not live in an area likely to suffer from blast damage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
please recommend bunker

im new to this site, and new to prepping. however, i have been doing alot of shopping online and have found "deep earth bunkers", but thats only is you have a few hundred thousand dollars laying around..... 2nd option is vivos shelters found at terravivos.com (cheapest is around 10k i think). the last option I have, and prob the option i am going with because its the cheapest and most spacious, is to bury 1,2,or 3 shipping containers at your BOL. hope this helped

·
Registered
116 Posts
im new to this site, and new to prepping. however, i have been doing alot of shopping online and have found "deep earth bunkers", but thats only is you have a few hundred thousand dollars laying around..... 2nd option is vivos shelters found at terravivos.com (cheapest is around 10k i think). the last option I have, and prob the option i am going with because its the cheapest and most spacious, is to bury 1,2,or 3 shipping containers at your BOL. hope this helped
I know this has been said to death in this forum, but PLEASE be careful when you make statements like this. Shipping containters can be buried, but only with the knowledge that reinforcement will (almost certainly) be required. Containers have all their strength at their corners.. in normal use, the weight of stacked containers is all on the corners and edges, NOT on the sides and top shells.

I know some maybe have buried their container and gotten lucky, but personally, I would not step into one. Mythbusters even had an episode where when they tried burying a container (to replicate the Hitler assasination attemp at his bunker); it collapsed even before it was completely covered. If you do a forum search on burying containers, there are plenty of threads concerning this both pro and con.

·
duct tape engineer
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My problem is we can't dig and we have no basement. We do have a garage and we've talked a lot about building something ourselves but neither of us is in the best physical shape and thats a LOT of work.

And agreed on the costs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@ dhalgren - you are completely correct about reinforcing the shipping containers! I simply forgot to mention that, good catch though, thank you

@ chickpea - I am also very far from Utah im in central Alaska which poses its own challenges...thats why i was thinking shipping containers, water proofed and insulated...still have a few bugs to work out though. I was thinking 3 next to each other like this [][][].... anyone have suggestions about this?

·
Registered
891 Posts
instead of shipping containers i would just build something completely out of concrete, much stronger if you start reinforcing containers they are just a very expensive mould

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know this has been said to death in this forum, but PLEASE be careful when you make statements like this. Shipping containters can be buried, but only with the knowledge that reinforcement will (almost certainly) be required. Containers have all their strength at their corners.. in normal use, the weight of stacked containers is all on the corners and edges, NOT on the sides and top shells.

I know some maybe have buried their container and gotten lucky, but personally, I would not step into one. Mythbusters even had an episode where when they tried burying a container (to replicate the Hitler assasination attemp at his bunker); it collapsed even before it was completely covered. If you do a forum search on burying containers, there are plenty of threads concerning this both pro and con.
that reminds me .. i have yet to find the episode that they did. i wanted to know the depth they buried it, and what type of container used, did they try at all to reenforce it with roof supports(2x10,joisthangers),and walls built to seperate area and used to brace the walls? was it a CORTEN steele container or aluminum? i mean plz tell me they did not just take a reefer unit and bury it, i know they had to put some planning in it...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was looking for something as well here in TX. I found out that the water table stinks... it seems at 5 ft of digging our pool..we hit the water table. I was told there is nothing I can bury due to this. Is that true? I'm not an engineer but I was under the impression if I went with a specific material and then reinforced the surrounding structure with dirt, that I could do it? My price range was 10,000-30,000. Any suggestions? I had considered reinforcing the garage, however, we had a bad hurricane which spawned a tornado a few years back and I'm just not sure if reinforcing the garage would hold up and if so, to what wind speeds for the hurricane and which class of tornado? A person could go crazy thinking about all this!

·
duct tape engineer
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you do a google search on storm shelters or safe rooms - I think most of the people that offered these previously are now offering more with preppers in mind. Especially with all these early tornados its definitely good to be on the prepared side!

Jake - You would be surprised how far some of these places ship. I'd at least send the Utah folks an email and see if they can do anything for you!

·
Hardcore survival
635 Posts
You can talk till you are blue in the face -- somebody is going to do it.

I'm an engineer and have built several 20' and 40' conex box shipping container "bunkers", actually as "root cellars"

In 2008, we did a static structural examination of the feasibility of burying these underground versus "heaping up" above ground.

Burying them was dangerous, heaping them was acceptable with additional reinforcement. Also, conex construction varies from manufacturer and intended use.

I reinforced a 10' x 56' insulated refrigerated railroad car for my own "heaped-up" bunker in 2005... more room than a conex box.

Here ==> http://www.survivalistboards.com/showpost.php?p=3914512&postcount=23

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Above ground shelter? It will need to be covered with something capable of reducing radiation penetration, sooooo, you'll need to "buried"... just on the surface.

3" of earth minimum. Start there and work up.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Bean killer, why not just brick up a corner in the garage or basement, create a little safe room. Line inside 'n out with sandbags if youre concerned about radiation. Air filter, too. It wouldnt be much, but better than nothing. Basicly an indoor root cellar, storm shelter.

·
Molon Labe
280 Posts
http://www.popularmechanics.com/out...-turn-your-living-room-into-a-fallout-shelter

images.military.com/ContentFiles/cw_sheltrh12a.pdf

^Some idea's from the above? Turn a room into a shetler using the basement conversion idea.

Saw an episode of "Lost World's US Bunkers" and an engineering shop built a small 6'x5'x5' fallout shelter using reinforced concrete, then tested the build with a recking ball.

Using some math, based on the ammount of pressure put on the structure it theroretically could survive a 21KT blast at a distance around 350yds from ground zero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deeIooJcQOA

Start at 6:30 to see the build, it was a good episide as well here's a link to all the clips from the entire episode if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sea...ube.3...8421l8421l0l8612l1l1l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Something you can build yourself. Without bringing in outside help.

Don't think for a second that the workmen won't come looking when they need something.

·
Hardcore survival
635 Posts
Above ground shelter? It will need to be covered with something capable of reducing radiation penetration, sooooo, you'll need to "buried"... just on the surface.

3" of earth minimum. Start there and work up.
You will need a bare minimum of 18" of earth cover for sufficient radiation attenuation.

Read the link in my post, I'm a retired engineer (nuclear inustry) who designed radiation shielding, shelters and security systems for years.

As far as doing everything yourself without any outside help, you're looking at one installation (above picture) where everything was done by my wife and myself, after we had the railroad car delivered.

In this part of the country people use them for hay storage, so the crew that delivered it from 35 miles away had no idea what it would be turned into later.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts