Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If like to buy a few to do a couple copies of all my kindle books.

Found Amazon fire tablets will handle 128GB (amazing)
And they are about $20

I know to get "fufilled by Amazon" to avoid a knock off.
(I'm assuming"fulfilled by Amazon digital services" isn't really Amazon)
But I'd like a couple brand recommendations please as I don't want these to fail. )

Thank you

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Sandisk and Kingston are both brands that go back like decades. Samsung also makes pretty good memory products.

I would not get the cheapest, since there usually is a reason it's cheap.
I would not get the fastest/most expensive, because I would pay extra for no real life gain
I would get something in the middle performance wise.

About 100MB read&write speeds ensure that both loading files and storing them is fast enough. Pretty much every type of memory card fits your use. Should you consider a dashcam or other surveillance device, they need special cards that do not wear out fast due extensive rewrites.

Few months back I grabbed a fistful of microsd cards from a grocery store. Samsung EVO something, 32GB. They were like 5€ each, so I replaced every card I had in cameras and other devices. Bunch of old 2,4 and 8GB cards got retired.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Class 10, it is what I use in my dash cams.
Class only refers to speed.

Fast card can be optimized to record several large photographs in quick success but having dashcam continuously write on that same card could kill it.

Likewise, a card that is optimized for dashcam usage could be annoyingly slow when used in a digital camera.

On the other hand, these are so cheap that if 20$ card dies after two years, who cares. Just buy another one, it's probably 10$ then. Few years ago that same size memory card was like 200$.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Samsung EVO so far have been 100% reliable for me. Use them in our phones, mp3 players, cameras and several Raspberry Pi's which use them like a hard drive. Easy to ID fakes as well.
Just me .02

·
Emergency Manager
2,728 Posts
Sandisk is my go-to.

I have a 2Gb Sandisk microSD card I had in one of my first Windows Mobile smartphones (an XV6800) still works after probably 14 years. It's been used in at least 5 different devices (2 Windows Mobile and 3 Android) over the years. I have a SanDisk 128 mb flash drive that is easily 16+ years old and was my daily-use flash drive. So it was being plugged and unplugged from numerous computers almost daily.

I've had pretty good luck with Samsung as well. I also have PNY and Kingston. The only Flash Drive I've had problems with is a 32 GB OCZ that likes to blow up if I disconnect it before "Ejecting it" in Windows. It's been replaced under warranty 2 times now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts