Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first, I know that I have to go to a firearms store, try the various firearms, hold them, see what they feel like in my hand, etc.

However, when I walk into a firearms shop I don't want to be completely clueless. KWIM?

I'll need to practice, so ammo shouldn't be too expensive. I'm looking for a moderately priced (the less the better, but I also know that you get what you pay for), reliable weapon. I have pretty small hands. I also have kids and am somewhat freaked about having a weapon in the house, but I'm not afraid of guns - just the kids getting hold of it. :(

I intend to take classes.

Thanks.

ETA - If you know of anything I should definitely avoid, please let me know that as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would recommend a Taurus (good price, very good reliability, and easy to use) and chambered in a 9mm (lower recoil, good penetration and less expensive ammo). My brother just bought one for his wife - she also has small hands. Go and hold each prospective pistol and get the one that feels most comforable to you. That way it will be easier to shoot, and you wont dislike holding it. I also would recommend a Ruger, but they are a little larger compared to the Taurus.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Pistol...maybe a nice .38 special revolver, or a semi small 9mm like he said^.

Otherwise, the best first weapon is always a .22 rifle. A marlin model 60, ruger 10/22, or any decent bolt action .22 rifle. Move up from there, maybe a 20 gauge pump shotgun. After that get a nice bolt action .243 like a savage 110 or Remington 700.

If you are worried about the kids, make sure evrything is locked up and out of sight. Gun locks are pretty good, and any weapon bought will or should have a gun lock. If you wish to futher safety, get a locking gun cabinet or safe. Explain to the kids that the locked up firearms are not to be messed with. Also, once you are comfortable, and they are old enough, educate them on proper safety, and maybe take them shooting.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
For someone who has never had any type of training or experience with any type of weapon I would suggest a revolver. Further I would recommend it in 38 special. Ammo is reasonable you can get reduced power rounds for practice and it has stopped man for many years. I would recommend a Smith & Wesson Combat Master Peace Model 15-3 (1st police weapon I was ever issued) Heck with it even a bind man (or women )can shoot pert near 100 percent. They can be picked up used for around $175.00 It's easy to shoot, can handle plus P ammo. With stock grips it will fit a shall hand, 4 inch barrel, double action revolver, with adjustable open sights.

·
531 Posts
As a smaller guy (I'm 5'5"), I have to buy guns that'll fit my little mitts. So most guns that are comfortable for a woman, tend to fit for me as well.

If you're looking for a 9mm, an amazing fit for my hands is the HK P2000 9mm.

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
I would Recommend a Glock Model 19. Compact 9mm.
As far as Kids and guns go, I have 2 boys I told them they can see my guns anytime they like as long as they ask first and I show them. That removed the curiosity. I do keep all of my firearms that are not directly in my care, custody and control locked up. If you were to buy a new firearm, most gun manufacturers include a lock of some sort. That is a start, but a small safe with a combo lock is going to be the easiest way of securing your weapon and retrieving it.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
Well you never said what this firearm would be for, but I'd go for a Ruger 10/22. Relatively cheap, and .22 ammo is cheappp.

·
Registered
215 Posts
A pistol in 9mm or a revolver in 38 special/ 357 are two choices worth examining, as they are reasonably mild recoil, with good ammunition choices for defense.
Try to find a range that rents guns for use so you can try a few choices and see how they handle _for you_.
See if you can take a class before you buy- some instructors have guns for loan to new students.
The best gun for you may not be what anyone here would recommend, at least without a face to face range session.

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
probably an ar 15 pistol XD.... no jk. i would get a .22 pistol, a good one, not a crapy china or italian thing. whit 10 rounds of .22 you can kill someone just as easy as with a 500 nitro revolver.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Please recommend a firearm for me - I'm clueless
Class first, pistol second. Trust me, the easiest way to sound clueless is to walk into a gunshop talking about things you heard on "the net". Most real gunshops have a person that they send over to deal with internet gurus, he is a complete tool and will make you into one as well. They can see it from a mile away, its what they do for a living.

My firearms recommendations? That really depends on you (I know you wanted to hear that LOL). I could say that I have had good luck with Taurus, Glock, Springfield, Rossi, S&W, Tangfolio, Star, Llama, Colt, and a few others.

Caliber recommendations? Depends completely on you. This is where you rent a few guns that you like and take them for a test drive. Don't forget to ask the shop or range that rents them how to operate them if you don't know how, they will show you and it is a common question, don't be afraid to ask. Any shop that ridicules a question is a shop that loses your business (stick with that too).

Pistol storage solutions? This ranges from expensive specialized fast release boxes (for you nightstand etc.) to a simple trigger guard lock. My personal preference is a lock box from China-Mart with a digital keypad (also key locked if the elec. fails). It costs about 30 dollars and it is childproof (figuratively and literally :)). I have two stacked on top of each other under my nightstand, gives me access to 4 pistols and ammo for the shotgun (trigger locked) and pistols. All the rest of the guns are in the bigger safes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm definitely going to get someone who knows firearms to come with me, but he's already said that he doesn't know what to recommend for a small woman. Still, he's quite knowledgeable about anything that you can hunt with, anyway. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am one of those who has decided to jump back into this arena due to the poiltical/economic situation.

I am guessing that what you want a firearm for is home defense. For that I recommend a 20 guage youth model shotgun. My wife is 5'4" and that is what I bought for her. It fits her perfectly, and the recoil from a 20 ga is more manageable than from a 12 ga. Load it with buckshot, somewhere between #1 and #3. You want pellets big enough to penetrate and stop the bad guy, but small enough that if you miss won't penetrate all the walls and go through the whole house.

For the second firearm, get a good revolver as has been mentioned above. No slide to rack, no safety to remember taking off, but a good heavy double action trigger pull to keep things safe.

By all means get trained. Get trained first if at all possible as was also mentioned above. My preference locking things up would be a locking cabinet for the shotgun and a biometric safe that reads fingerprints for the revolver. I also recommend buying from the NRA their book and DVD on the basics of home defense. Makes you think about the legal aspects of having to shoot someone, things to have in your safe room and what to expect when the police show up. Call 911 first, and yell all your warnings loudly so that they are recorded well. That would be important in the investigation afterwards.

Not sure how old your kids are, but get them trained too. The NRA also has kidsafe training on how to react to the presence of firearms.

Then pray like crazy you'll never need any of this except for target practice.

·
Registered
174 Posts
another vote for the 10/22. you can practice all day for $20, shoot small snackimals, and in a pinch unload a magazine into an attacker.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Ok, first, I know that I have to go to a firearms store, try the various firearms, hold them, see what they feel like in my hand, etc.

However, when I walk into a firearms shop I don't want to be completely clueless. KWIM?

I'll need to practice, so ammo shouldn't be too expensive. I'm looking for a moderately priced (the less the better, but I also know that you get what you pay for), reliable weapon. I have pretty small hands. I also have kids and am somewhat freaked about having a weapon in the house, but I'm not afraid of guns - just the kids getting hold of it. :(

I intend to take classes.

Thanks.

ETA - If you know of anything I should definitely avoid, please let me know that as well.
Ok, first of all it's not a big deal that you do not know anything...

Shooting is fun, relaxing, and can be inportant for everythign from pest comtrol to self defense.

First, I recomend you contact the NRA, and ask about a gun safety class in your area.
(You do not need a gun as 99.9999% of the time they will be provided.)

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/basictraining.asp

Once you have done that you should have a little more knowledge about firearms as well as (MOST IMPORTANTLY) how to be safe around them.

THen I would recomend you start off with a .22 rifle, and if you want to use a pistol a .22 pistol.

A Ruger 10/22 is a good basic, reliable .22 rifle and you should be able to find one new (They sell them at Wallmart amoung other places for around $200)

My First choice for a .22 pistol would be a Browning Buckmark. Ruger MKII's work well also.
(The MKIII's are good guns, but I don't buy guns with internal locks)

IF you decide you do not like it, wish to upgrade, or are not interested in shooting you should be able to sell it and recoupe most of your initial investment.

-Once you have done this, get back with us/me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions anytime.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a gun w/o a safety for a first firearm unless its a double action only revolver that had a 10lb + trigger pull, like a S&W 642. (and don't give me that crap that a Glock has a safety, the ONLY safety on a Glock is the one you were born with and proper trigger discipline) Go with an experienced person to the range and rent a bunch of different guns, find what you like best. Or find a range that offers lessons, most do, they'll let you try out several models. If you're going to get something for self defense, DO NOT GET ANYTHING LESS THAN A .380!!!!!

Practice until your targets look like this, then practice some more.

This was my last pass / fail qualification, done with a G27 and 50 rounds from holster draw, several different shooting positions as well as off hand and from behind simulated cover. I gotta work on my off hand, 4 of 5 offhand shots are in the 8 ring, I know the ones on the ring are rounded up but personally that's not good enough for me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts