Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all--
I'm a newbie so let me apologize up front if something about my question is stupid. And thanks --- I've learned a ton from you guys thus far.
After alot of debate, and guidance from some of the posts here on PTR 91's, I've decided to get a PTR 91. My question is which model would best work for my needs. It's main purpose for me of course would be as a battle rifle. Although I may end up using iron sights alot, I would like the option to scope it. I also would like the option of a bipod. For these reasons, I have thought most about the SC model, which comes with rails for scope and forearm accesories up front. However, I am now learning about the HK 'claw' scope mounts, some of which seem to have see-thru options on them, and that rails can be bought from PTR 91 and installed (requiring a gunsmith?). So that would open up the other models to me. I'd like it light and maneuverable, so I'm thinking one of the 16" barrels.
So, hopefully, that gives you all some guidance on what I'm looking for.
Thanks a ton in advance!

·
Formerly Known as GOFO
2,872 Posts
I would go with the SC as you said, the integrated rail is nice, though if you mount a scope low you may have to remove the rear sight to clear the eyepiece, not a big deal though...

I hate the claw mounts, it puts the scope way high and a cheek riser is a must.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Without a doubt the new G.I. model. Search the net, HK Pro Forum under Clone Talk. You will find countless accounts of most PTR's choking on surplus ammo with tar sealant. It clogs the flutes on many PTR's.

The PTR 91 GI was produced to correct this problem. It is a very true copy of the origonal G3 / HK91. Taperred barrel and all. I dumped my PTR91K for 850.00 just because I didnt trust it (It was very accurate though). I stockpile surplus ammo so a G.I. Is on my list now.

Good Luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Without a doubt the new G.I. model. Search the net, HK Pro Forum under Clone Talk. You will find countless accounts of most PTR's choking on surplus ammo with tar sealant. It clogs the flutes on many PTR's.

The PTR 91 GI was produced to correct this problem. It is a very true copy of the origonal G3 / HK91. Taperred barrel and all. I dumped my PTR91K for 850.00 just because I didnt trust it (It was very accurate though). I stockpile surplus ammo so a G.I. Is on my list now.

Good Luck
agree a big +1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts