Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a complete failure at making my own solar oven (wouldn't go over 200 degrees) and am now looking to buy one. I've been looking at a Sylvan on Ebay and wondered it anyone has bought it and is it as good as they say??? They claim it will reach 360-400 degrees which I find alittle hard to believe!

Sport Solar Oven???

Global Sun Oven???

My main goal is to get something that will bake bread!

This is an awful lot of money for me to spend so I really need all of your imput!!!

Thank you all in advance :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how did you make your first one?
After watching tons of video's on youtube, I made mine with one of those old Nesco portable ovens, was supposed to be well insulated for this purpose!

Hubby made a frame with reflectors to go on it and had a heavy piece of glass cut to fit the opening. I thought it might be losing too much heat out the edges so I tryed glass covering the entire top but still didn't help!

I really thought I did my research but guess not :(

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Reactions: Beaniemaster2

·
Registered
594 Posts
Solar cooker doesn't make bakery-style loafs of bread, but can make fairly decent flatbreads. Change your expectations.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had the Global Sun Oven for about 5 years so far and think that it is a great product. I have never used any other sun oven so I cannot compare it to them. I cook beans and roast in it all the time. I bought several speckle ware pots to use in it and it cooks great. Believe it or not it cooks even when it is freezing outside. I can hit 325 consistently, I have not tried bread in it but have roasted all kinds of meats.
I found several cook books for using sun ovens but really any recipe will work but the books kinda make it special :)

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
After watching tons of video's on youtube, I made mine with one of those old Nesco portable ovens, was supposed to be well insulated for this purpose!

Hubby made a frame with reflectors to go on it and had a heavy piece of glass cut to fit the opening. I thought it might be losing too much heat out the edges so I tryed glass covering the entire top but still didn't help!

I really thought I did my research but guess not :(
specifically what did you use for the reflective material?

·
A Hoosier not a Hillbilly
3,016 Posts
I was a complete failure at making my own solar oven (wouldn't go over 200 degrees) and am now looking to buy one. I've been looking at a Sylvan on Ebay and wondered it anyone has bought it and is it as good as they say??? They claim it will reach 360-400 degrees which I find alittle hard to believe!

Sport Solar Oven???

Global Sun Oven???

My main goal is to get something that will bake bread!

This is an awful lot of money for me to spend so I really need all of your imput!!!

Thank you all in advance :)
Plenty of plans if you just search. http://solarcooking.org/plans/

·
At Sugent
1,138 Posts
Solar cooker doesn't make bakery-style loafs of bread, but can make fairly decent flatbreads. Change your expectations.
I have to call you there. I have been baking regular french bread, two loaves at a time, on a cookie sheet in my solar oven for two years now. I was able to bake once this last March and again yesterday. Now that the weather is clear, I will cook the majority of my meals in it.
The point is, I use a standard recipe and the standard cooking time. I rarely need to increase the cooking time because I am unable to maintain 375.
One interesting aspect of cooking french bread in a solar box oven though.
In a solar oven, the steam doesn't get evaporated and burned off. When you open the oven door, a big blast of steam comes out. The result of cooking in the steam makes a chewier crust.

·
At Sugent
1,138 Posts
For what you would spend on a "store bought" oven,(assuming that cost about $300) you can build yourself a really nice one that will actually cook most anything you want to eat. Up to 400 degrees on a sunny day.
But, if you don't want to build your own, you may be doomed to solar oven mediocrity, always adjusting your cooking times and recipes to make up for inadequate thermal concentration.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts