Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't recall the specifics of the copyright infringement policies.

I seem to recall from the Ebola episode that it was ok to copy some parts but reading the actual policy makes me think it is not now?

I just a few minutes ago copy pasted an excerpt medical research published by Lancet.

I remember it used to be allowed not sure if it is any more. If my post is infringing the rules please delete my post and advise me.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know practically 0 about copyright. I only know not to take something that is not my own original thought and claim it is mine.

·
Super Moderator
20,631 Posts
25. Copyright infringement. Do NOT copy anything from any other website unless you own or have rights to the material.

If you want to discuss an article on another site, do not copy the article - just post a link to the article.

If you want to cite an article on another site, do not copy and paste the article - just post a link.

Period.

This topic is not open for discussion.
Please see this thread for further details:
https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=30353

·
the "d" from ban[d]
15,120 Posts
I don't recall the specifics of the copyright infringement policies.

I seem to recall from the Ebola episode that it was ok to copy some parts but reading the actual policy makes me think it is not now?

I just a few minutes ago copy pasted an excerpt medical research published by Lancet.

I remember it used to be allowed not sure if it is any more. If my post is infringing the rules please delete my post and advise me.
If I remember correctly we can copy and paste excerpts and give credit. We cannot paste entire articles. To do this we must paste the link. It the part we want to paste is long we should do both. Enforcement does not seem as strict as it once was.

It drives me crazy when people only post links. It is as it to say "this is what they think" while not thinking at all. That is just me.

·
the "d" from ban[d]
15,120 Posts
25. Copyright infringement. Do NOT copy anything from any other website unless you own or have rights to the material.

If you want to discuss an article on another site, do not copy the article - just post a link to the article.

If you want to cite an article on another site, do not copy and paste the article - just post a link.

Period.

This topic is not open for discussion.
Please see this thread for further details:
https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=30353
That is more strict than actual copyright law. People everywhere quote and give credit all the time.

·
Premium Member
4,602 Posts
From my experience if you comply with the fair use laws
That is better than violation
If I had a forum, you better have all your ts crossed and i s dotted
But best here is whatever the rules say
I was unaware of the rules here, no excuse, but now I know

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,929 Posts
It may be the the rule but it is seldom enforced.
1. Mod staff has been "short handed" for some time
2. While we read many, many posts/threads/ forums we may still miss some things
3. We're only human so we may not see every violation
4. We DO enforce rule violations once we're aware of them

·
Super Moderator
3,180 Posts
It may be the the rule but it is seldom enforced.
1. Mod staff has been "short handed" for some time
2. While we read many, many posts/threads/ forums we may still miss some things
3. We're only human so we may not see every violation
4. We DO enforce rule violations once we're aware of them
And we rely on our fellow members to help us out when they notice a rule violation. Click the red/white triangle at the top of the post to report a rule violation.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,695 Posts
Always cite your source.

Excerpts are fine, but realize they need to be limited to just a several line paragraph that directly addresses what you are responding to. Leave the supporting job to the citation link.

When you pull an excerpt be sure to bracket it in italics so readers understand these are not your words.

There is always one firm rule that relieves you of copyright problems. Written permission by the copyright holder. Mind you, the copyright holder doesn't automatically mean the author. This post of mine is held in copyright by Verticalscope, for example.

Public domain is also a relief from copyright issues. A government issue document is owned by all the people. Also, copyright has time limits, albeit very long ones. Quotes from material at archive.org are generally past the copyright restrictions.

Material from Wikipedia is similarly exempt from limited size excerpt rules here as long as you include the source citation. So you could post the entirety of a Wiki entry as long as the link is included.

If you are still unsure then ask one of the longer service mods or an admin first. Open a thread in the grievance section and ask the mod group to tell you how far you can quote it. Be proactive about your CYA here. The grievance area is masked from outside bot viewing and keeps the permission process out of public view.

I cite sources and excerpts all the time here. After a while you'll get a feel for the limits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts