Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I finally got round to emptying the camp kitchen.

I decided that I would make a couple of MRE type of packs. One is for two people one day or 1 person 2 days. The other I did not seal as I wanted to add salt/pepper packets (I get to buy lunch at IN-N-OUT tomorrow).

The Large One Has the following

2 Packs of Oatmeal
1 Pack of Mac Cheese
Hot Chocolate
2 Granola Bars
2 Match Books
Sun Flower Seeds
Knife and Fork
Tea Bag
3 packs or Hydration Powder - Has Electrolytes
1 apple flavor powder.

I put all this into a small Foodsaver bag and shrank the whole thing. The smaller pack (Last Image) does not double up on most things and will be much smaller.

What should I put in the next ones?

Comments/Suggestions. But for now these go into the BOB in the truck.

Regards

Martin

·
V
21,713 Posts
Not trying to be an ass but, Do they still class as MRE when you need so much to prepare? I mean you need to boil water and cook as opposed to something you can eat hot or cold. The amount of water your gonna need to cook will be alot of either extra work once out in the field of weight if your carrying it with you.

Dont get me wrong I have something similar setup in my bushbag ( i prefer a tin main meal so water can be used for a drink after its used to cook with)when I go out and about but I'm not looking shtf scenario's and bugging out, to each thier own.

Obviously for a truck GHB or BoB weight wont be as much of an issue but I still find it easier to have a tinned meal heated up in water that you can then use for a hot drink.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I really like getting the plastic "Sporks" from KFC. You kill two birds.
I HATE sporks? They are useless. I once was given a salad with big chunks of lettuce and vegetables and tomato soup, at a cafeteria, and handed a spork. How was I supposed to eat that with a spork? What is a spork anyway, the physically challenged love child of a spoon and a fork?

All sporks should be illegal.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
How about some tinder, or a mini first aid kit with vitamins? You can also take a small wood box and insert secret/important mail, seal that up and bury in the yard. Hell you can even put a pair of sox, and gloves and a beanie in it and seal it. Those damn things are awesome, the uses are as limitless , use your imagination. If your'e not using your bags for raw meat they can be washed,dried and re used.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Something I have discovered when using a foodsaver 1..the fork or the knife will cause a small hole in the foodsaver bag,once you drop the package in a pack or just carry it around, these things are thin. The answer..pack all your items into a quart size freezer Zip-loc bag and fold over but do not seal the Zip loc,next insert the zip loc into a foodsaver bag and vac. The food saver will vaccume out the air in both bags plus now you have a way to reseal your food items after you break the seal and do not eat all the contents in one sitting.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Looks good to me, it would probably work better than some of my zip lock bag attempts, ha. Selecting items (to bag together) that have similar shelf life would be a good thing, so there are no surprises. Home made meals stored in BOB's tend to get stale unless rotated, labeling helps. Maybe I would add a spoon since there is cereal in your packet. Toilet paper is always a good thing. The home made meals don't have to have everything, I like them simple, with few wrappers left over. I used my zip lock bag as a bowl for the instant oatmeal I packed, just don't get the water too hot, its not as messy as it sounds. The used bag makes a convenient trash bag to carry out the messy items.

About sporks....
Sporks are not perfect. The cheap hard plastic versions are practically useless I agree, single use at best. The light my fire sporks are not too bad, they do melt if poke them in the fire. For backpack camping I would not bother with disposable plastic utensils as I would have to carry them out. If going ultra light weight, I would still make room for a metal spoon. If you camp out at the Ramada Inn, then your experience may be different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts