Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a show a week or so ago and they were sayin that all the platinum in the world can fit into a standard 15x15’ room. Way more rare than many other metals and will be needed in the future. It’s also about 45% cheaper than gold (about $1,000/oz). Been thinking long term about investing a small chunk of money in it. What do people here think?

·
reluctant sinner
18,886 Posts
I like platinum. It's a catalyst., you can make nitric acid with it. I saved my dads collection of aviation spark plugs and magneto breaker points just for that reason. The local metal guy wouldn't pay for the iridium content, I just laughed at him and ask if he wears a mask when robbing people (was way before the covid hoax).

I like silver. Best used in colloidal form. There were 200 oz's used in building a B-17 - high temp silver solder is good stuff for repair or construction.

·
Registered
None of your business.
3,418 Posts
I think lead will be more ‘useful’….if things Get tough, selling any kind of precious metal is going to get harder Unless there is a practical use for it where the everyday person can work with it.

·
Premium Member
4,494 Posts
Investment , prolly not. Store of wealth better than gold , yes. Precious metals are not generally great investments long term. They are meant to be a hedge against inflation/ collapse.

·
Criminitly!
701 Posts
As a life long collector of silver. It looks like silver. I have no way to tell silver from platinum. So from my perspective, if we trade, you would get silver price.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
A significant use of platinum is in autocatalysts. With the coming trend of automakers towards discontinuing production of the gasoline and diesel ICE, I’d think that would greatly affect the demand for this rare metal.
I'd like to know how much, if any, is used in the production of an electric car.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Investment , prolly not. Store of wealth better than gold , yes. Precious metals are not generally great investments long term. They are meant to be a hedge against inflation/ collapse.
are you kidding? Gold's long term inflation hedge is exactly what makes it a good investment. Since we went off the gold standard in the 70s gold has gone from 100 bucks an ounce in 1973 to nearly 2000, that's better than the dow jones or real estate in most places. Platinum's problem is that it's infinitely recyclable in its industrial applications and they keep finding new reserves so it hasn't done as well as gold lately.

·
Premium Member
4,494 Posts
are you kidding? Gold's long term inflation hedge is exactly what makes it a good investment. Since we went off the gold standard in the 70s gold has gone from 100 bucks an ounce in 1973 to nearly 2000, that's better than the dow jones or real estate in most places. Platinum's problem is that it's infinitely recyclable in its industrial applications and they keep finding new reserves so it hasn't done as well as gold lately.
Sorry but no. An ounce of gold was 106 ( average price ) in 1973. 106 dollars in the s&p in 1973 is worth 15671 at the end of 2021. An oz of gold would have made you 1691. 106 in the market would have made you 14684 ( assuming you reinvested all dividends).

It really depends on when you buy. But that becomes speculation not just investing. Sure when you look at certain period in history ( like 1973 or 71 ) right before inflation and hold price increases it looks good.

Golds spot is 1798. The average close in 2012 ( 10 years ago ) was 1668.

1668 dollars in 2012 would be 2018 in 2022 with inflation. Gold actually under preformed.

1668 in the S&P 500 in 2012 would be 6922 today. Gold comes up short there too.

2002 average close on gold was 310. That would be 480 today with inflation. 310 in the s&p in 2002 would do about as good as gold it would be 1780 today.

But had you bought gold in 1983 at 423 an ounce it would be worth less in 2002 than in 1983 by a considerable amount even before inflation. In fact gold had lower prices than 423 through the 90s.

Where gold does the worst is continued investment. Say you invested in 1 oz of gold from 1990 -1992 (386,353,333 per oz) you’d have 5370 from gold vs 25047 with stocks. So basically 20 k less.

Doesn’t sound like a good investment to me.

However I do hold precious metals. They are good to hold physically as a store of emergency wealth. They can also be a good hedge against inflation , but so are stocks.

·
Barrio Bajo Señor
4,121 Posts
Although metals may seem like a poor “investment” we are in extreme uncharted waters and they could potentially become the, again in quotations, investment of a lifetime, nobody knows what is in the cards for metals in these upcoming times

·
reluctant sinner
18,886 Posts
As a species we need to have different strategies for survival - chance favors the prepared and on the whole different plans increase the random chance of the ideal solution for the situation at hand.

I'd gladly have some materials in hand over imaginary stuff in the cloud.

Diamonds make nice glass cutters, but their value is highly controlled by the limited supply allowed by the cartel's.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As a species we need to have different strategies for survival - chance favors the prepared and on the whole different plans increase the random chance of the ideal solution for the situation at hand.

I'd gladly have some materials in hand over imaginary stuff in the cloud.

Diamonds make nice glass cutters, but their value is highly controlled by the limited supply allowed by the cartel's.
Russia has more diamonds than anyone could ever want. The DeBeers comp y owns the mine. Most of the diamonds are for industrial purposes. Diamonds are not rare either. Many other precious metals are way more rare and much cheaper. It got expensive due to good advertising.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Platinum used to be the metal of choice used in catalytic converters. It has mostly been replaced by palladium. The curious thing is that palladium has soared in price as production has remained relatively stable. Since platinum is trading at around half the price of palladium right now, you'd think manufacturers would be thinking of switching back to platinum, which could drive the price higher.

·
reluctant sinner
18,886 Posts
A year or 2 back they found a russian boat sunk by the NAZI's that had like 500 tons of platinum on board as part of the lend/lease payments. I'm sure that will have some effect on the price.

·
Registered
147 Posts
A year or 2 back they found a russian boat sunk by the NAZI's that had like 500 tons of platinum on board as part of the lend/lease payments. I'm sure that will have some effect on the price.
Wow! Currently annual production of platinum worldwide is about 200 tons. Finding 500 tons would definitely affect prices.

·
Adventurer
1,407 Posts
YES....... Platinum holds its value better when gold and silver tank...... Its also becoming more useful by the year for industry.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts