Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
11C!
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you own one?

Do you own one and if so, do you run steel or ceramic plates? Do you spend top dollar on them or are you open to quality that isnt ridiculous overpriced?

Do you prefer to run just a FLC?

What is your preference?

·
Dirt Dweller
94 Posts
I don’t own one yet, still researching. So far it looks like a 3a. Plus one of my favorite YT’er, Demo Ranch has a video on a hoodie with body armor built into it. The hoodie past all of his tests and even had some protection around the head. It generally looked very normal. One could walk around with it on and not look tactical. Very easily would fall into the “gray man” category.

·
Learning
6,614 Posts
Yes, I have 1 or perhaps 2. I happen to run Midwest Armor stand-alone level IV ceramic armor. They always have a different name on it, but they are good stuff. I also have some military ceramics.

I don't own any of the steel plates.

I think armor has it's place in the prepper's closet for sure. Unfortunately, there has been a run on this stuff (not as much as ammo and guns, but there is a run)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Waste of money unless you think you are going to get shot at. I never have. Joel Skousen talks about gravel walls to chew up bullets in his home defense book. The more important thing I think is get off the X. If you are a civilian there is zero reason to enter into these situations. What is chance of China invasion I dunno. If I had the extra money and I was in an urban environment maybe then I would get some steel plates. They make backpacks with plates for kids.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
What's your purpose? Most people will spend the money and toss the plates and carrier in the closet; complete waste of money. Even for those that understand their use, fewer still actually train with them and you need to in order to know how they'll impact everything you do when wearing them. I've worn the bulkier carriers with gear on the outside for combat; a completely different role for 99.9% of the civilian population. I much prefer a slick, discreet carrier and have a few different plate sets. My most discreet is what I have in my vehicle; thin Level III plates (for pistol/shotgun protection), as its use would be in "normal times" but in bad neighborhoods where rifle fire is a much lower risk. Soft armor isn't a bad choice either, by my thin plates are stab proof as well. Overt carriers are for DA mission where you're expecting a gun fight; covert/discreet carriers are for self-protection when your threat-condition assessment is elevated to a point short of open fighting.

I don't like steel plates for various reasons, but they're a good option for a carrier system left in a vehicle as they're not affected by extreme temperature changes (like the extreme heat in the summer). I wouldn't want to run a dynamic class with that carrier on, but it would suffice to drive home if the threat level dictated.

Plates and carrier will affect your mobility and balance. If you're serious, spend some time wearing your carrier when working around the house, driving, at the range, etc. The weight (of steel and most level IV ceramic plates) is heavy and the mobility sucks. Figure out what your purpose is first and then make an informed decision one what is best for your needs and shop accordingly. Expensive Level IV plates are nice, but just like that large CCW left at home, if you don't use it, practice with it, or carry it frequently, it likely won't be much good when you do need it..,

ROCK6

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have one, but I much prefer a simple chest rig with 3-4 rifle mags, 2 pistol mags, and a flashlight. It’s light and carries everything I need. People also don’t understand that getting shot wearing plates doesn’t leave you entirely unscathed. It will take the breath out of you, bruise you, and can even possibly cause a collapsed lung. I would much rather prefer NOT to enter engagements that result in a firefight, but also like having the ability to carry some mags

·
Anyone?
3,586 Posts
I made 2 sets.
When the pandemic hit, I thought they could come in handy, but everyone was out for weeks, so I made my own.
Bought a sheet of AR500 (3/8ths I think) and cut 4 10x12 plates with oxy-propane. The sheet cost about $200
I bought the nylon carriers on Amazon for about $50 each.
I've hit them with M193 ball and they barely made a dent even on the edges which may have been compromised by the heat of cutting.

One hitch though - spalling.
Bullets splatter all over - and with force.
I've tried epoxy - no good.
I tried 1/4 in plywood epoxied down - okay if not for the fact that splatter cuts a channel underneath.
I settled with a 3mm rubber yoga matt epoxied down. Not great, but it will be surrounded with nylon so maybe.
It's a work in progress, but TBH, I don't think the bed liner that most manufacturers use is really much better.
I saw a video where a guy paints on a layer of flex seal. Might try that next.

I intend to get a commercial set in the future, but these will have to do for now and I figure they're better than taking a direct hit.

·
Yup
773 Posts
I made 2 sets.
When the pandemic hit, I thought they could come in handy, but everyone was out for weeks, so I made my own.
Bought a sheet of AR500 (3/8ths I think) and cut 4 10x12 plates with oxy-propane. The sheet cost about $200
I bought the nylon carriers on Amazon for about $50 each.
I've hit them with M193 ball and they barely made a dent even on the edges which may have been compromised by the heat of cutting.

One hitch though - spalling.
Bullets splatter all over - and with force.
I've tried epoxy - no good.
I tried 1/4 in plywood epoxied down - okay if not for the fact that splatter cuts a channel underneath.
I settled with a 3mm rubber yoga matt epoxied down. Not great, but it will be surrounded with nylon so maybe.
It's a work in progress, but TBH, I don't think the bed liner that most manufacturers use is really much better.
I saw a video where a guy paints on a layer of flex seal. Might try that next.

I intend to get a commercial set in the future, but these will have to do for now and I figure they're better than taking a direct hit.
Try using a two part urethane truck bed liner. You can buy a kit from an auto paint supplier that comes with a disposable sprayer.

·
Anyone?
3,586 Posts
Try using a two part urethane truck bed liner. You can buy a kit from an auto paint supplier that comes with a disposable sprayer.
I've watched a bunch of videos by guys who've tried that and it hasn't worked out so well.
The best homemade job I've seen was with fiberglass layered with resin as you would repair a boat hull, so might try that.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Do you own one?
Yes.

Do you own one and if so, do you run steel or ceramic plates?
Yes. We own steel, ceramic & soft.

Do you spend top dollar on them or are you open to quality that isnt ridiculous overpriced?
Yes. Is this some kind of direct marketing questionnaire???

What does it matter what someone chooses to spend money on. To further answer your question tho, I chose value by buying for us when the market was low, and increased savings by using the secondary market. What I spent for my family, should have no bearing on anyone else's decision tree. Other than I could afford to do so, without any bearing on other "things".

Do you prefer to run just a FLC?
No.

What is your preference?
Varies. Currently battle belts with slicks & ceramics. However train more with steels.

Folks should really read & then re-read @ROCK6 post above.

Reactions: mattk1919

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,041 Posts
Regarding home-made anti-spall coating, I wonder if a home made chicken wire wrap covered in an bed liner or flex-seal spray would work.

It would be a similar concept as to making a reinforced concrete structure - you lay in webbing of rebar, than pour in the concrete and it's very very tough...

·
11C!
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A plate carrier and plates in a real end of the world type scenario is 100% something of value.
No one PLANS to get shot. But I would rather have something that will possibly atleast deflect a round over it just hitting straight flesh.

I have multiple combat deployments and my guys and me never PLAN to get shot, but its a possibility, hence why we wear kit everywhere. I think the stance of "Ill never need it" is pretty dumb. I may never NEED a lot of survival gear but I still own it.

Also, mobility is not that cut out. If I can manage to work inside of tight spaces like a MRAP, MAXPRO, MCVV with full kit on and move fine outside I think its okay. But the problem is just as stated, people put a kit on once, then toss into their closet. I also do a lot of workouts in my kit for added weight.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yea if you wear it everywhere, like cops do, then it's doing something for sure. They are forced onto the X as part of their job. Same with military. Me, a normie civy, I'm just trying to get off the X. I feel like grabbing plates or bringing them in my car would just slow me down?

·
11C!
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea if you wear it everywhere, like cops do, then it's doing something for sure. They are forced onto the X as part of their job. Same with military. Me, a normie civy, I'm just trying to get off the X. I feel like grabbing plates or bringing them in my car would just slow me down?

Maybe, I mean I have worn them enough that I dont really notice it much anymore. But that probably is from years of wear. But I would rather have and not need, than need and not have. But thats just me. Now helmets i personally hate haha

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
No. It's just one more fad following DOD (see also ever time DOD changes camo pattern). The only reason the Army bought "MRAPs" and personal body armor was because the DC politicians forced them waste a metric ton of cash on the crap. "We support the troops" Saddling a grunt with MORE crap (weight) makes him MORE vulnerable.

"A Soldiers Load and the Mobility of a Nation" Apparently the Army/USMC no longer read/understand (if they ever did). A grunt CAN NOT carry 100lb and be combat effective.

Same as bolting armor on a cargo truck is stupid nonsense. 1/3 of the truck payload now is steel so you now need to run THREE trucks down the road rather than two.

Perhaps body armor is OK for a waist gunner in a B17 or a squid on the deck of a boat behind a .50.

·
11C!
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No. It's just one more fad following DOD (see also ever time DOD changes camo pattern). The only reason the Army bought "MRAPs" and personal body armor was because the DC politicians forced them waste a metric ton of cash on the crap. "We support the troops" Saddling a grunt with MORE crap (weight) makes him MORE vulnerable.

"A Soldiers Load and the Mobility of a Nation" Apparently the Army/USMC no longer read/understand (if they ever did). A grunt CAN NOT carry 100lb and be combat effective.

Same as bolting armor on a cargo truck is stupid nonsense. 1/3 of the truck payload now is steel so you now need to run THREE trucks down the road rather than two.

Perhaps body armor is OK for a waist gunner in a B17 or a squid on the deck of a boat behind a .50.
As a mortarman I have carried a LOT of weight up and down the mountains of Afghanistan. Its definitely doable. Does it suck? yes. but it can be done. If the world went to **** I also wouldnt be carrying around a mortar or rounds either.

Ill stick with having some body armor if the time comes.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts

Truly depends upon what you "think" may happen.

In your example above, what occurs when you all get wherever it is you are going? Are you somehow magically in a "safe" zone, or where you never have to work outside? Or where you all will never have to cover your own security?

Mind, I'm by no means a fan of scenario prepping (nor fantasy land/LARPing). However, IMO, the ability to simply provide security covers any number of possibilities. From the short term rather benign, upwards towards the unknown.

Adding tools to do so safer for me & mine simply makes sense. YMMV.

·
Midwest Born
860 Posts
I considered it years ago, I bought Lvl III soft body armor, my ballistic vest is on top of it. Im glad I did, the old I get the less I can see me using plates, but that is just me. good luck

·
Registered
760 Posts
For home decorating yes I have a carrier at the ready. My family needs me alive and in the game. I’m not expert so my plan involves me getting my family all into a room with me and an x95 or 870 pointed at the door while everyone is on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts