Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
patriarch
5,161 Posts
Has anyone used a 55 gallon plastic barrel to cache items? Tips or comments on the best way to use them would be appreciated.
We think a 55 gallon barrel is to big. The hole is huge, the barrel is too heavy, so we like 30 gallon barrels. We put the barrel into a large trash bag before covering with soil. Pile limbs and forest debris over site. Have a second person from your group to help, in case you are unable to participate.
We pack a little of everything in the cache. Water, shelter, matches/lighters, cooking utensils, first aid supplies, meals, beans, rice, ammo, personal hygiene supplies, toiletries, game traps/fish kit, and etc.
We decided that its just in case, not a lot of one thing, but supplies to get us forward to the next one.

·
Registered
Which bag? No way I'm carrying all this stuff, that's why I turned my F150 into a bugout truck.
5,591 Posts
I bought a couple of these 3 years ago when I think they were $15 cheaper,

They are a pain since they are longer and you have to go deeper. Isn't easy either since even the NV/CA desert is hard once you get down a foot. They were out on the claim and not near enough pressurized water to use a water pick to break it up so I used my jackhammer. The fact it was on a remote claim made the all day long ordeal incognito.

I threw the leftover dirt in the truck And took it to the drywashing area adding it to a number of tailing piles.so as not to draw attention.

The one thing about them is being as tall as they are, even with my real long arms I can't reach the bottom so I pack accordingly. But these barrels are a lot of room and after 3 years it's pretty secure when I leave stuff at that claim. Plus the length is a bonus, I've actually left a couple of long guns in there when I headed to town for supplies.

Which brings up a point, claims are usually in a rocky area so it took alot of exploring to find a spot where I figured I wouldn't be into bedrock within 4 feet. It's not an easy project but it was well worth it.

·
Registered
I don't know
525 Posts
Has anyone used a 55 gallon plastic barrel to cache items? Tips or comments on the best way to use them would be appreciated.
I have a 55 gallon plastic barrel buried in a bog for a bog cooler. I'm short, so for me the main thing I did was put concrete blocks in the bottom to lift my food up to my reach and to add a bit of thermal-mass.

·
Registered
666 Posts
My opinion is, if you are thinking of burying more than 2, or so, 55 gallon barrels,
you may just want to go all in, rent a machine, and dig out a modest root cellar.
It could be well camo'ed, since only the entrance needs to be accessible.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
If you intend to bury a barrel, keep in mind they can be dangerous. A few years ago a lady made the news. She had food buried in a barrel, she reached in to the bottom and fell in upside down, she couldn't get out and died. I realize that was an unusual accident but being stuck upside down and unable to free yourself is no fun.

·
Registered
Which bag? No way I'm carrying all this stuff, that's why I turned my F150 into a bugout truck.
5,591 Posts
For what it's worth if I ever do it again, I'm going to dig a trench 5 feet long and 3+ feet across and bury 2. IMO it will be actually easier than using a posthole digger and reaching straight down with my jackhammer. Which btw is the small one from Harbor Freight but it is a bear reaching down and not really having the room to pry the hardpan back. It's going to be more of a cleanup but I think in the long run it will take just as long and then I have double the space.

:

·
Registered
480 Posts
I bought a couple of these 3 years ago when I think they were $15 cheaper,

They are a pain since they are longer and you have to go deeper. Isn't easy either since even the NV/CA desert is hard once you get down a foot. They were out on the claim and not near enough pressurized water to use a water pick to break it up so I used my jackhammer. The fact it was on a remote claim made the all day long ordeal incognito.

I threw the leftover dirt in the truck And took it to the drywashing area adding it to a number of tailing piles.so as not to draw attention.

The one thing about them is being as tall as they are, even with my real long arms I can't reach the bottom so I pack accordingly. But these barrels are a lot of room and after 3 years it's pretty secure when I leave stuff at that claim. Plus the length is a bonus, I've actually left a couple of long guns in there when I headed to town for supplies.

Which brings up a point, claims are usually in a rocky area so it took alot of exploring to find a spot where I figured I wouldn't be into bedrock within 4 feet. It's not an easy project but it was well worth it.
The parish sells us the same barrels for 35 bucks ready to catch rain water and plumbed for a garden hose.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
The parish sells us the same barrels for 35 bucks ready to catch rain water and plumbed for a garden hose.
Would love to have a local source for that barrel, but my link is including free shipping if the total is high enough just pay the oversize surcharge.. Good on you for having a better price, I don't. I'd buy 5 more at your price, maybe even 10.

It's just that barrel in particular is perfect for what the OP suggests it is smaller on the opening but it allows for a framed plywood covering which makes it easier to access when uncovering

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Would love to have a local source for thatr barrel, but my link is including free shipping. Good on you for having a better price, I don't.
Plus the new price is kind of high. The old price of 67 was better, I just posted that link to show which ones I was working with.

But then again I bought a total of 5 so I really don't need anymore 3 years later.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
It's just that barrel in particular is perfect for what the OP suggests it is smaller on the opening but it allows for a framed plywood covering which makes it easier to access when uncovering
Plus being a smaller opening I could never fall in, as one post suggested. I have thought of leaving one open and empty if I ever need an easy snake stew source. Pour a little water in there and the snakes can't resist heading in for water and shade. As tall as it is they'll never get out.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts