Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
patriarch
5,161 Posts
I use the barrels for water storage. Never have enough water when you need it. I use them for livestock feed, rain barrels, & etc. The barrels with the lid and steel ring are becoming hard to find locally. Blue barrels with bungs are $10. Some has been used for alcohol, malt, and other food liquids.
I like the small 30 gallon with the screw lid for a cache. Even has handles.

·
patriarch
5,161 Posts
OMG... Who eats that many pickles?
We have company nearby that caters to the restaurant industry. They also have a store to the general public. They sell in bulk, and in restaurant quantities. They have real nice barrels that have screw on lids. They get olive oil, pickles, more than I can mention bulk, then they repackage into gallon or equivalent containers.

·
patriarch
5,161 Posts
Has anyone used a 55 gallon plastic barrel to cache items? Tips or comments on the best way to use them would be appreciated.
We think a 55 gallon barrel is to big. The hole is huge, the barrel is too heavy, so we like 30 gallon barrels. We put the barrel into a large trash bag before covering with soil. Pile limbs and forest debris over site. Have a second person from your group to help, in case you are unable to participate.
We pack a little of everything in the cache. Water, shelter, matches/lighters, cooking utensils, first aid supplies, meals, beans, rice, ammo, personal hygiene supplies, toiletries, game traps/fish kit, and etc.
We decided that its just in case, not a lot of one thing, but supplies to get us forward to the next one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts