Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Has anyone used a 55 gallon plastic barrel to cache items? Tips or comments on the best way to use them would be appreciated.
I’ve used 5 and 6 gallon buckets, because that‘s as big a hole as I can dig without hydraulics. And they’re not below frost line, so they only hold things that can freeze. I caulked the lids shut.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I store corn for attracting deer and other critters in the black 63 gallon barrels that have gasket lids and screw on seal rings. I caught a grown black bear on my trail cams roll one all over my yard trying to get in it, but not even come close. Those are pretty tough and seal pretty nicely too. My local hardware store carries them, contained pickles so no harmful residue, twenty bucks each.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I was going to buy some water barrels. People want $50 each for them around here, used, and like $175 at retailers. I offered one person on the marketplace $50 for three barrels that she was asking $150 for. She countered back at $199. WTF is wrong with people these days? Or am I just totally out of touch?

I dunno what they are smokin' but it must be some pretty good stuff. And $500 for one of those square 250 gallon tanks at Tractor Supply - I guess only the wealthy are going to be able to be prepared heading into the future.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I was going to buy some water barrels. People want $50 each for them around here, used, and like $175 at retailers. I offered one person on the marketplace $50 for three barrels that she was asking $150 for. She countered back at $199. WTF is wrong with people these days? Or am I just totally out of touch?

I dunno what they are smokin' but it must be some pretty good stuff. And $500 for one of those square 250 gallon tanks at Tractor Supply - I guess only the wealthy are going to be able to be prepared heading into the future.
Our source: 55 Gallon Plastic Drums in Stock - ULINE not exactly 'cheap' but not outta bounds either. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Any issues with them cracking? I've thought about using 5 gallon buckets with the gamma seal lids, but the bucket wall thickness scares me a little.
No, not yet. I dug the hole oversized, eventually, and put the bucket in and filled the extra space around the bucket with wood chips from my chainsaw pile. Then 6 or 7 inches of dirt on top. It’s fishing tackle, rope, tools, that kind of stuff, so even if they did crack it wouldn’t be the end of the world

·
Registered
126 Posts

I don't know where you are, but in my area I have bought 63 gallon barrels for twenty bucks and the square tanks (IBC totes) for fifty to a hundred, complete with a two inch ball valve and quick coupler. Have you also looked on craigslist?

·
patriarch
5,161 Posts
I use the barrels for water storage. Never have enough water when you need it. I use them for livestock feed, rain barrels, & etc. The barrels with the lid and steel ring are becoming hard to find locally. Blue barrels with bungs are $10. Some has been used for alcohol, malt, and other food liquids.
I like the small 30 gallon with the screw lid for a cache. Even has handles.

·
Registered
819 Posts
We use plastic barrels for critter feeds... I cut a 3/4 plywood lid with cleats to keep it centered on the open barrel top..

Now you have me thinking, if I cut the top inside of the outer rim to leave a close fitting seal with the lid.. Add some anchor points to the side so the lid can be held tight with a ratchet strap, and store cool, dark, and dry why would this not work well for a barn cache ??

I would love, love to find plastic barrels with the lid and metal ring type closure... Just not available around here..
--- ---
OMG... Who eat that many pickles....
McDonalds, Burger King ....fill in the blank... plastic wrap convenience store deli sandwiches..

·
patriarch
5,161 Posts
OMG... Who eats that many pickles?
We have company nearby that caters to the restaurant industry. They also have a store to the general public. They sell in bulk, and in restaurant quantities. They have real nice barrels that have screw on lids. They get olive oil, pickles, more than I can mention bulk, then they repackage into gallon or equivalent containers.

·
Registered
574 Posts

In my area food grade tanks/totes are selling for about $0.70 - $0.75 dollars a gallon, 50/55 gallon barrel/drum 35 to 40 dollars each.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
We use plastic barrels for critter feeds... I cut a 3/4 plywood lid with cleats to keep it centered on the open barrel top..

Now you have me thinking, if I cut the top inside of the outer rim to leave a close fitting seal with the lid.. Add some anchor points to the side so the lid can be held tight with a ratchet strap, and store cool, dark, and dry why would this not work well for a barn cache ??

I would love, love to find plastic barrels with the lid and metal ring type closure... Just not available around here..
--- ---
OMG... Who eat that many pickles....
McDonalds, Burger King ....fill in the blank... plastic wrap convenience store deli sandwiches..
You can make a removable lid on a plastic barrel by cutting one end off about two inches from the lid.

Then crimp the new top rim of the barrel like a stove pipe is crimped. Heat a small spot about 1 inch wide and two inches tall on the rim with a torch until it softens then grip it with a pair of needle nose pliers and twist a bit less than 90 degrees. While holding the pliers in place cool the plastic with a wet rag to harden it. Do that every inch around the barrel and it will reduce the diameter enough for the top to fit tightly on the barrel. If you want a better seal strech a 18 inch bike innertube over the joint.

I use the same method for metal barrels all the time. It works very well but will damage your pliers. I made a special t handle tool with a slot in it to do the crimping instead of needle nose pliers.

The same method works on tin cans, pop cans and square tins.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts