Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing like this has ever happened to me before, so I lack the experience or knowledge of what to use to help treat hives. I'm asking for credible sources of info on what I could use to help either just ease the itching, or speed up the recovery of the skin. I've done some online searches and all sorts of things come up without any specific descriptions of preparation or just how they help, so forget that. Apparently this is a pretty severe reaction compared to what most people get. Details:

I recently gave to a friend's whims and tried some of her more superfluous "skin care products". Hand-softening crap and silly things like that. Not something you'd ever see me partaking of save for this once, and I just did it to make her happy since she enjoys it and wanted me to try them. She had been using them for a while now with no problems. However, going into this I had got to feeling something unpleasant was going to come from this. I ignored it for the first time in my life, and damn I will never do that again.

The following morning I woke up and the undersides of my forearms were intensely itchy. Upon looking I realized they were covered in large clusters / chunks / streaks of raised red goose bumps. Later in the day the larger clusters would develop into having a plasma-yellow center. My left upper eyelid was also red, puffy and swollen shut, not itchy or painful, just useless. This subsided as the day went on until it looked almost normal again. As the day wore on, I discovered more patches of this stuff: sides of my neck (right being the worst), a small spot the size of a quarter on my sternum, a fist-sized chunk and more fanning out to the sides from it just below the belly button, inner thighs and the backs of the knees (right worst). Touching makes them itch worse. Although there are no bumps, the underside of my jawline and cheeks around the back of my jaw are also extremely itchy and puffy. After trying aloe, arnica, and cool damp towel as potential treatments on different sections of the skin, the first two did nothing and as soon as I removed the coolness, the area would immediately get hot and feel like it was burning ontop of the itch. Friend offered me some of her cortisone gel and anti-histamines which Ive been using since (she has crazy, crazy allergies so she has this on hand). They help temporarily, but I still can't sleep.

On the second day the red goosebumps began to fill with plasma fluid, like little blisters and the itching intensified. Left eye did the same exact thing as previous, swollen shut upon rising and almost back to normal by mid afternoon.

Last night I put some cortisone cream over the upper eyelid and it isn't swollen again so I know how to deal with that now. Third day, everything is still itchy as hell and driving me nuts. After reading and looking through several different books and images and descriptions we've determined it's hives. I've never reacted allergic to anything in my life so this is really weird for me. She had a very minor reaction compared to mine to the same stuff. Just her eyes got puffy.

I will post pictures if it helps to identify exactly what would be useful in this situation, but the result is pretty disgusting. While this is quite a curse for sure, I also view this as a sort of blessing in disguise - an opportunity to learn how to treat these things firsthand instead of only reading about it in a book. I know we have some other plant people here, but I haven't been on these forums long enough to really identify who. If you have knowledge about anything natural that may be useful for this specific situation, please share. It will be very appreciated.

Note: before someone does it - save yourself time by not suggesting that I "go to the doctor". I have never once been helped by a stiff in a white coat involved in western medicines unless I already knew what was wrong with me, and knew what I needed. That, and I don't trust it if it gets spewed out the backend of a machine and takes years of schooling to only partially understand its effects on the body. Real medicine does not mask symptoms while poisoning you at the same time. As a result, I am the most stubborn person you will ever meet when it comes to this. Thank you.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Try an over the counter antihistamine. While there are many plants that can soothe the skin I would be hesitant to recommend them because you clearly had a histamine response and a wild plant could do the same thing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is true, but I'm interested in it enough to experiment on small patches to find out what does and doesn't work, like what I did with the aloe and arnica. Those I've used for years though, so I suppose its not the best example.

The reason for my curiosity is that I figure I won't always be able to have those little antihistamines with me everywhere I go. I'd like to find an alternative with similar or the same benefit, even if it potentially means enduring more discomfort.

I'd venture to say the amount of that "skin care" junk I tried from the friend and the amount of time it was on me is actually pretty proportional to the reaction I got. I may be looking at it wrong, though.

·
Come quickly Lord
2,049 Posts
Buy a bottle of myrrh oil. Mix that with tea tree oil. Put a thin layer of this on your rash and it should help. This mixture also works for athletes foot.

Reactions: ixn and RevPaul

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts
i would honestly take as hot a bath or soak a rag in hot water and put it on the effected parts. the heat draws the histamines out that cause itching. this is what my doctor told to do im highly allergic to poison ivy so ive gotten it pretty bad before i really started listening to the doctors. also try an oatmeal bath (cheap version of an aveeno bath) it soaks up the oils on the skin so its not quite as itchy

·
Pastor
1,971 Posts
I have been fighting this same type of situation, for the last 4 months.
Through my elimination of various chemicals that I am in contact with, I found that I am allergic too "Fast Orange" hand cleaner.
I work as a mechanic, so you can imagine the chemicals I get into.\
During one period of the reaction, I had a slight infection, so the Dr. decided too give me keflex, I am also allergic too that.
I had the worse hives in my life, it attacted my extremities only.
Hands and feet.
I lost all the skin, from the reaction.
I joked it was leporsey, but I was miserable.
I was given a steriod that did nothing either.

I found, elimination of contact, (Wearing Nitrile Gloves) and washing with pure soap has basically stopped my problem.

Try too find your cause, so you can avoid the reactions, rather then treating the symtoms.

·
wide awake
143 Posts
Kiddo is allergic to Red Dye #40 (and it's in almost EVERYTHING, even white cake mix and chocolate pudding) - he breaks out in severe hives from it. He's had to take steroids and Atarax in the past, but I try to use natural alternatives when possible. (Even benadryl has red dye!)

Jewelweed is really good for itching (we've used it for hives, poison sumac/oak/ivy, etc.). Google "jewelweed" and you'll find more info and pictures. I like to infuse alcohol with the jewelweed and use a cotton ball to apply to the skin. I've been known to throw jewelweed infused olive oil in a batch of soap. :thumb:

Yellow dock is good for hives and itching too.

You can also take an old sock, put about a cup of (dry) oats in it, tie the end off, and throw it in the bathtub. Rub the sock all over the inflamed skin, and it helps the itching.

HTH!

·
Registered
18,822 Posts
The number one plant for itch in this area is touch me not or jewelweed. I grind some up at the end of every summer and put in the spring house. Later when it freezes outside I make ice cubes out of it. It takes the itch and sting out of any kind of rash, even winter dry skin. The other two I mix with touch me not if the skin is broken is plantain and yarrow. If the rash turns weepy I make a mild tea out of bergamont and wipe down the weeping area.

Tury

1 - 9 of 9 Posts