Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this covers several topics, the article and video are being posted in the general preparedness section.

While stockpiling seeds for a SHTF / Doomsday survival garden I recommend testing various seeds every few years. Take a selection of seeds out of the freezer and germinate them.

What happens when certain seeds will not germinate? Test a larger sample. If very few seeds germinate, what do you do with the seeds? Plant a wildlife food plot with them.

For the 2018 - 2019 hunting season I took a bunch of seeds, mixed them with rye grass and then planted a wildlife food plot with the seeds.

The seeds used in the food plot were not tested for germination. Generally speaking, most of my stockpiled seeds have good germination rates. However, from time to time certain batches of seeds will not gerimnate.

For the food plot I used:

• Peas
  • Beans
  • Cabbage
  • Turnip greens
  • Radishes
  • Spinach
  • Rutabagas
  • Rye grass

The rye grass has been in the shed since last year, so I am not sure how much of that will sprout.

The plan is to plant one food plot, then a few weeks later throw out some more seed. I may pick up a bag of whole oats next time I go to the feed store.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts