Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Patrick's Bushcraft
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might come in handy one day to know what type of plants in your area you could use for natural cordage...
In my area, the Southwest US, there's lots of these stringy fiber type plants, the first 3 that come to mind are:

...these are great and the Fan Palms probably have the longest strands
What are some of the plants you'd use for cordage in your area?

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,898 Posts
Dude. A spool of 1000' of 550 cord costs pennies per foot, and comes in a rainbow of different colors. You can no doubt afford to get a spool or two and stash it - it has a tiny footprint. You can rappel short distances using the real stuff.

Plant-based Cordage for disaster response?

·
Patrick's Bushcraft
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I suppose you'd better get busy weaving Yucca.

I've other options.
I've got other options as well. I kinda think backwards compared to your average joe I guess.
It really comes down to the individual's plan, circumstance, location, conditions, etc.
I do like paracord though. How can you not. I got about 100 foot of it, wouldn't mind picking up some more.
How's that for playing both sides of the fence, LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got other options as well. I kinda think backwards compared to your average joe I guess.
It really comes down to the individual's plan, circumstance, location, conditions, etc.
I do like paracord though. How can you not. I got about 100 foot of it, wouldn't mind picking up some more.
How's that for playing both sides of the fence, LOL
Dude are you just not getting it making cord is about knowing how,when you don't have it I have a 550 cord wallet I made and a belt and a buckle knife and I know how to make cord there is always the chance you may lose it or use it or forget it but if you know how to make your own its a safety net for worsed case like Cody says "the more you know the less you need"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.