Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cranky old man
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I had the late blight in my garden this summer, which wrecked my potatoes. I tore out and burned my potato plants, and did my darndest to dig out all the spuds. Now I'm planning for next year's garden, and I was hoping for a little advice from you all.

Last summer I grew white superiors, which died like dogs when they caught the blight. Are there any blight resistant types of potatoes? And does anybody know where I could buy some?

I plan to locate the potatoes in a different part of the garden. I figure the location of last year's potatoes might be "contaminated". So I was thinking that I'd plant carrots and radishes -- which seemed to be unaffected by the blight -- in that location. Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas to you all.

·
Cranky old man
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Teopawki

Hi all,

I had the late blight in my garden this summer, which wrecked my potatoes. I tore out and burned my potato plants, and did my darndest to dig out all the spuds. Now I'm planning for next year's garden, and I was hoping for a little advice from you all.

Last summer I grew white superiors, which died like dogs when they caught the blight. Are there any blight resistant types of potatoes? And does anybody know where I could buy some?

I plan to locate the potatoes in a different part of the garden. I figure the location of last year's potatoes might be "contaminated". So I was thinking that I'd plant carrots and radishes -- which seemed to be unaffected by the blight -- in that location. Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas to you all.

I know, I know - nobody cares about my stupid potato questions - you don't have to tell me. I've got to make my threads more interesting. I should've used a sexier subject line. Something like:

"AK vs. AR for harvesting spuds"

"What sort of potatoes are resistant to UN Peace Keepers and the late blight?"

"What will potatoes be like in the Afterlife?"

"Is 2012 the end of potatoes as we know it?" (TEOPAWKI!!!)

:)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
"AK vs. AR for harvesting spuds"
LMAO!:D:
I usually just get a few from the grocery store and clean them up to make sure the chemical is off them that stops them from growing.
I do plan on trying some seed potatoes next year from the local garden and feed store.
As for blight I can not answer that question. Im not sure about the big seed catalogs they may have them but I havnt looked

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I get my potatoes from seedsaver.org. They save heirloom seeds and vegetables such as potatoes that are at risk of becoming extinct. I've never had problem with the ones I ordered every year. You can get potatoes cheaper but you know what happened to you and the time you wasted. I have called them with questions and they have always been helpful. Good luck.

·
Rebel with a cause
581 Posts
In our part of the world seed potatoes come from the farmers co-op. The only one they sell is a red " LaSota". I guess it growes best in our climate.

I use a 5 gal bucket with the bottom cut out. Plant the potato eye as you normally would. When the sprout is 6 to 8 inches high, set the bucket over the vine and cover with dirt or leaves or compost until about 2 inches of the vine is showing. Repeat every time the vine grows a few inches until the bucket is full of dirt. When the potatoes are ready to harvest - pull the bucket up and the potatoes are waiting to be picked up - NO DIGGING>

·
Registered
5 Posts
You need to plant the potatoes each year in a different part of the garden. Where before the potatoes were planted you put someting from an other family like carrots, bean,... so diseases can't get the chance.

There are some resistant varieties but I can't give some names. We use here some othere varieties that are adapted to our environment.

Greetz

S.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
In our part of the world seed potatoes come from the farmers co-op. The only one they sell is a red " LaSota". I guess it growes best in our climate.

I use a 5 gal bucket with the bottom cut out. Plant the potato eye as you normally would. When the sprout is 6 to 8 inches high, set the bucket over the vine and cover with dirt or leaves or compost until about 2 inches of the vine is showing. Repeat every time the vine grows a few inches until the bucket is full of dirt. When the potatoes are ready to harvest - pull the bucket up and the potatoes are waiting to be picked up - NO DIGGING>
that is the same whay we do tire potatoes :thumb:

·
Game Face
134 Posts
This is what I'm going to try come this spring.Instead of strait compost will use a compost,straw,soil combination.Should keep your blight problem out of the garden and use some space you don't need to till.

http://www.hillgardens.com/potatoes.htm
Thank you so very much for putting me onto this Hill Gardens site! I was looking for high-efficiency and low maintenance solutions to the garden plot I was planning for Spring 2010. :thumb:

I bookmarked both the potatoes and the composting articles.

Happy planting and harvesting!

·
Cranky old man
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is what I'm going to try come this spring.Instead of strait compost will use a compost,straw,soil combination.Should keep your blight problem out of the garden and use some space you don't need to till.

http://www.hillgardens.com/potatoes.htm
Sweeper, thanks for your post. That's a terrific idea - I'm going to give it a whirl.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts