Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I don't know how long a person can stay floating their body. But, when I was in Boy Scouts we had to show the swimming instructors how to float, and other things in order to swim in the deep end of the lake.

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
Tyler Durden: [pointing at an emergency instruction manual on a plane] You know why they put oxygen masks on planes?
Narrator: So you can breath.
Tyler Durden: Oxygen gets you high. In a catastrophic emergency, you're taking giant panicked breaths. Suddenly you become euphoric, docile. You accept your fate. It's all right here. Emergency water landing - 600 miles an hour. Blank faces, calm as Hindu cows.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
you can alwayse take your britches off and use it as a floatation device and yes wet jeans hold air

thats the way id go

·
Threepin'
4,063 Posts
Good to hear. I like stories like this. That is a long, long, long time to be treading water/swimming. Agree with above comments. Improvised flotation device prob would've saved this guy a bit of energy.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And?

How did he do it?
I recently watched a show about the Indianapolis and it's survivors. I don't think there was any secret to how they survived. After they were torpedoed they abandoned ship and using kapoc life jackets they floated in the oil and debris for 4 days. Sharks were drawn to them from the injured men. Many were eaten alive by the sharks.

The show portrayed the Navy brass in a bad light. They needed to assign blame for the loss of the ship and pinned it on the Captain for not maintaining a zig zag course as a defense against submarine attacks. Even the Captain of the Japanese submarine that sank the Indianapolis testified at the court martial that a course change would not have saved them. The Captain eventually committed suicide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Indianapolis_(CA-35)

·
Bushcraft Enthusiast
342 Posts
you can alwayse take your britches off and use it as a floatation device and yes wet jeans hold air

thats the way id go
Take your pants off ..tie the ends of the legs shut and slap them on the water.. Instant flotation device.. Can go a long time with them..

That was my 1st thought when I read this. Makes me glad they taught this in boot camp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts