Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
My neighbor post crap on Facebook about all the diseases I'm spreading though out the neighborhood every hunting season. Even had an officer come check me out this past fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Honyock
658 Posts
The MO Dept of Agriculture continues to issue warnings about deer with "mad deer" disease. Every deer harvested must be checked and a significant number test positive.
We are told to avoid contact with brains and spinal column an any deer.

I know some people that should be applied to also, they are obviously infected in advanced stages.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,276 Posts
In Alaska real men eat beaver. I am allowed to harvest one beaver a day under my Federal Subsistence permit. It must be either consumed as food or the pelt utilized. Preferable both. Quite good eating, a bit rich in oil, but that can be drained off.

·
Registered
861 Posts
In Alaska real men eat beaver. I am allowed to harvest one beaver a day under my Federal Subsistence permit. It must be either consumed as food or the pelt utilized. Preferable both. Quite good eating, a bit rich in oil, but that can be drained off.

Never ate beaver, but I did eat some nutria rat a few times. Looks just like a beaver with a round tail. You are correct, it takes a real man to eat beaver, especially if it's not cleaned properly.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,500 Posts
BEAVER tail soup.

That will keep you warm on a cold day.
They are handy little critters.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,828 Posts
There is a good market for dried castoreum.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,500 Posts
IF THIS goes into fall,then yeah, I might pot a deer if it wanders by.. and if there are any left in my area.

Gottta believe the Jackpine Terrorists will be filling a lot of shopping lists with the local fauna if this drags on.

·
Crusty Curmudgeon
1,390 Posts
Wild game and the possibility of transmissible spongiform encephalopathies-

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5207a1.htm
Really, really old news. Most state DNR organizations are monitoring the spread, so we know where it is and where it isn't.

Pretty obvious you are not a hunter, or you would already know this.

Here's another tidbit. It is a pan species disease. Therefore if it shows up in wild ruminants, say deer, most likely it will spread to other ruminants like cattle, goats, and sheep in the same region. This is the reason it is monitored so closely.

·
BASS
2,094 Posts
I watch a show on TV, Bizarre Foods I think. They harvested a wild pig/boar. When gutting and before preparing to butcher the pig they put on NYRTILE GLOVES. Andrew asked why? They said it was because the infectious diseases can be caught from the fur. Something for many of us need to think about. NYTRILE GLOVES are cheap. Use them whenever dressing wild game!

·
Crusty Curmudgeon
1,390 Posts
I watch a show on TV, Bizarre Foods I think. They harvested a wild pig/boar. When gutting and before preparing to butcher the pig they put on NYRTILE GLOVES. Andrew asked why? They said it was because the infectious diseases can be caught from the fur. Something for many of us need to think about. NYTRILE GLOVES are cheap. Use them whenever dressing wild game!
Can't find them today. They are gone with the bottled water and toilet paper. :D:

·
Registered
861 Posts

Good info. Can you show some links to infection cases?

Hogs in the south are covered in lice, thats why we use gloves. Sometimes.

People are hunting every year in this country, the dangers are minimal concerning infectious disease.

The real danger hunting after SHTF is other people fighting for a dwindling resource. With the number of guns and the night and heat technically and men with dogs, the game and live stock will all but disappear.

90% of the meat my family eats is wild hog and deer. 11 deer and 7 hogs this season. Been doing it this way for 20 years. Not once have I or a family member been ill from a game related illness.

Not saying it can't happen. The diseases are out there. Wild pork has to be fully cooked. But most folks that hunt know these things about the game we hunt.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Really, really old news. Most state DNR organizations are monitoring the spread, so we know where it is and where it isn't.

Pretty obvious you are not a hunter, or you would already know this.

Here's another tidbit. It is a pan species disease. Therefore if it shows up in wild ruminants, say deer, most likely it will spread to other ruminants like cattle, goats, and sheep in the same region. This is the reason it is monitored so closely.
Hunted when I lived in Montana, so tell me about it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts