Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across a Browning Hi-power at a really great price, it shoots well but it needs re-bluing the previous owner didn't keep it very clean does anyone on this site know how to re-blue a pistol? Is it something I could do myself? Or shouuld it be left to a pro?

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
Go too walmart, they have instablue in the hunting section.
go too a local automotive paint supply store, they have wet/dry paper, all the way up too 2000 grit.
Buy several grits, from 600, 1000, 1200, 1600, 2000.
Disassemble, and remove all finish in graduates from coarsest, too finest.
As you do this, you are making scratches, but the finer you go, the less noticable they are.
By the time you get too 2000 grit, it will be mirror finished.
Completely clean all metal surfaces with break cleaner, too remove any oils left on surface.
Wear nitrile gloves while doing this, because your skin has oils in it.
Use a dry rag, soak the rag in the instablue liberally, and rub the surfaces until darkened.
Repeat 5-9 times with a water rinse inbetween each application.
Your end product, will reflect your efforts.
Do not take short cuts, and do not use sttel wool as dirrected in the instablue bottle.
Good luck, my 870 police folder came out great !!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about leaving it like it is until I found out how much its worth, so I think I'm going to try and refinish it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
about value

it may be a great idea to reblue this piece, but, usually it will do nothing positive for the value. if anything it will reduce it further. on most firearms trying to improve their condition or altering them from factory condition in any way that cannot be undone, will bring the price down. especially reblueing. most of the time anyone that knows guns will be able to tell, and they will knock the offer down.

do it for the sake of protecting the metal, or because you like the look, but not for increasing value.

·
Registered
69 Posts
God, no. Don't use that Perma Blue crap from Wally World. It looks like ****, and you can smell it from a mile away. If you just have to use a cold blue, use Brownell's Oxpho Blue.

Otherwise, go to homegunsmith dot com and click on gun and stock finishing. Look at the top thread about hot bluing. You can hot blue at home, easily and cheaply. You need distilled water, lye, and saltpeter.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
PLEASE do NOT coldblue.

I recomend you look at parkerising.

I've blued ~ 6 rifles, but I've Parked (Both Grey and black parkerising)
4-5 pistols, and 15 or so rifles.

It's SO much easier and forgiving...

(You can LITERALLY parkerise a pistol in an old crockpot on your kitchen counter.)

·
Wide-Eyed and Stern
629 Posts
I know this thread's like 18 years old, but I just wanted to thank Rev Paul. My pal has a Winchester 30-30 that's been shoved in a box for like 15 years, he said I can give re-bluing a shot for him. The perfect post for me right now!

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
My $.02: Cold blue sucks! It's only intended for minor touch-ups. Take the Hi-Power to a reputable gunsmith and have it hot-blued. Or, if you like a matte-chrome look, send it to Robar and have it Np3'd. A Browning Hi-Power is a superb weapon worthy of much better than cold blue...

EDIT: Good God! This is an OLD thread!!! I'm willing to bet that Hi-Power was refinished a LONG time ago...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts