Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few days ago I brought home my very first gun that I've owned. It's a Ruger 22/45 Mark III with a Bull Barrel, shoots the .22LR rimfire. Now, I immediately went home and read the user manual since I've never owned a pistol before (actually never even had shot one!). But I have used plenty of shotguns and rifles, just never owned one. When at the range, I began to figure out I was a decent shot when it came to ranges closer than about 25ft. Now I don't know if this is crappy or not. :xeye:

I've spoken to some of my friends and they assure me that pistols aren't for real great distances so only being able to shoot about that far isn't a bad thing. I do plan in the future on getting another pistol for home defense, I just wanted to be able to get used to the operation and feel of one first.

So my question is, am I REALLY that bad of a shot? And how far is "far enough" when it comes to being able to aim and hit a target with a pistol? Thanks! :thumb:

·
STALKER Unit Mobile
183 Posts
lol no not at all 25 feet is perfect distance for a pistol especially for a beginner. as you get used to it you will get better it just takes time. in my opinion pistols are last ditch effort I would rather stick to a rifle or just a SG or anything past about 35 feet. Oh and by the way very nice gun choice

what size round are you looking into for HD?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking about a .40 S&W. I want the power that's a notch above the 9mm but I'd rather not have something like a .45 that will be hard to shoot accurately at a distance of 25 - 35ft. I'm still very much conflicted about it, haha. But my next gun purchase is another .22LR rifle so I can share ammunition. I'm thinking about a Marlin Golden 39A. I like the lever action and it holds 19LR rounds.

There's a range near me where I can rent a handgun, so I'm going to try a few of my top choices out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
but I'd rather not have something like a .45 that will be hard to shoot accurately at a distance of 25 - 35ft.
The .45 does just fine at that range. The better reason not to use it would be for follow up shots since the recoil is greater.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Watch that Ruger that little sucker will take the top of your thumb off if you try and wrap your hand around your trigger hand. Its ok to rest the butt in your palm. Geez that hurt when I did it long ago. Still learning even today.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True enough. But can anyone let me know if there's any truth to the rumor that a .40 kicks just as hard or worse than a .45? I know it would depend on the grain size or what type of round it was, but in general is this true?

I'm glad to know that I'm not such a horrible shot though! Do any of the NRA classes or other classes that're offered nationally help with pistol accuracy?

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
if you can hit a paper plate at 25 yrds when you need to you will be ok.remember to shoot at the center not just at the targer no matter how far you move back.

·
STALKER Unit Mobile
183 Posts
True enough. But can anyone let me know if there's any truth to the rumor that a .40 kicks just as hard or worse than a .45? I know it would depend on the grain size or what type of round it was, but in general is this true?

I'm glad to know that I'm not such a horrible shot though! Do any of the NRA classes or other classes that're offered nationally help with pistol accuracy?
actually it all depends on the gun but in my opinion what we use in the CG the SIG Saur 40 cals they are actually not bad at all also the highpoints are not bad about recoil either.

I think there is a large difference in between the two over all.

I was able to send 2 mags straight down the firing range at 35 feet and still hit a paper plate sized area in chest and the head region in rapid fire drills

fun fun fun

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts

I don't know if I would characterize it as "worse" it's just different. The .45 is a low pressure round where the 230 grain bullet loafs along at 850 fps or so... The recoil impulse is relatively slow, meaning when you shoot it it's like someone thumped your hand with a baseball bat. The .40S&W on the other hand is a high pressure round sending a 165 grain bullet down range at 1100 fps. The recoil impulse is fast and more closely resembles having your hand struck with a fishing pole (i.e. it stings more.)

The .40 S&W is a compromise round. You get a larger hole than a 9mm and higher round count than most .45's. The .40S&W is usually, but not always, built on frames that were originally designed for the 9mm (example Glock 27 is a .40S&W on the Glock 26 frame (9mm)) Same gun except for the bigger round.

Personally I don't care for the .40 as much as I do the .45, but that's me. Any Self defense round that starts with "4" is okay by me.

OBTW what were your group sizes with your 22/45? At 25' (8 yds) shooting off hand you should be able to hold about 3" if you're shooting slow, deliberate, aimed shots. At 25 yds open that up to about 7"... If you're much bigger than that, then I'd consider getting some coaching...

Allan

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
I suggest not paying so much attention to how large your groups are. Dont use the scored targets either. Just use a white paper with a dot in the middle that you can see. Dont try to compensate from your last shot, just aim at the center each time. Practice the proven methods of shooting with each and every shot to make them instinctive.

Excellent choice for a first pistol by the way!

·
Banned
371 Posts
I wouldn't go any lower than a .45 for self defense, and accuracy isn't the most important factor in self defense. Knock-down power is. Also, I would go double-action only, as 1911s are for experts. You could really hurt yourself or someone else with a 1911.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
So a few days ago I brought home my very first gun that I've owned. It's a Ruger 22/45 Mark III with a Bull Barrel, shoots the .22LR rimfire. Now, I immediately went home and read the user manual since I've never owned a pistol before (actually never even had shot one!). But I have used plenty of shotguns and rifles, just never owned one. When at the range, I began to figure out I was a decent shot when it came to ranges closer than about 25ft. Now I don't know if this is crappy or not. :xeye:

I've spoken to some of my friends and they assure me that pistols aren't for real great distances so only being able to shoot about that far isn't a bad thing. I do plan in the future on getting another pistol for home defense, I just wanted to be able to get used to the operation and feel of one first.

So my question is, am I REALLY that bad of a shot? And how far is "far enough" when it comes to being able to aim and hit a target with a pistol? Thanks! :thumb:
The FIL and I were out a while back with his MkII standard model and we were shooting at sod-poodles at 100Y. The gun was grouping in a foot at that range.
My old Buckmark target model is good for stationary clay pigeons on the 100Y berm but it's set up for it.
I shoot my .357 Python at 200Y, and a Stetson hat isn't safe at that distance.

But I shoot handguns a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts