Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Survival Actual
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i live in a wet area, i always seem to have trouble finding dry tinder without doing a lot of extra work, so i usually carry some with me instead. One of the ideas i came up with last year, was using a pencil sharpener to turn sticks into wood shavings. This was working very well, and i could even store the shavings inside the pencil sharpener. See pic...

Then i got another idea. Pine hamster bedding. When i was younger, i worked at a pet store, and i remember having to sweep this crap up off the floor all the time. It's dry, comes in small or large bags for pretty cheap, and even has different sizes in the bag. Bigger peices, and crushed up stuff at the bottom.

Just a small handful will give you plenty of tinder to get small sticks burning. The crushed up stuff at the bottom even takes a spark nicely from a ferro rod. I have tested this and it works perfectly. Now i carry a small bag of it in my pack all the time.

And...once you get the fire going good, you can cook and eat the hamster. :D:

·
tempus fugit
702 Posts
I love small furry animals, smothered in a rich brown gravy.
Also, I buy pellet bedding for cat litter. It's almost like the pellets for a pellet stove. They are cheap (40 lb bag for $7) and would probably be good for after the fire is established because they are dense.

·
Survival Actual
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love small furry animals, smothered in a rich brown gravy.
Also, I buy pellet bedding for cat litter. It's almost like the pellets for a pellet stove. They are cheap (30 lb bag for $7) and would probably be good for after the fire is established because they are dense.
Hey thats a good idea. I might look into those pellets.

·
Pray For Our Republic!!
283 Posts
Thanks for the tip...my daughter just lost her Guinna pig (R.I.P.) so I have a huge bag of this stuff. Now I know what to do with it.

·
Survival Actual
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And if you want an "Industrial Grade Pencil Sharpener, go to the Hardware Store and get the one they sell for Sharpening Large Pencils. It even has a Lanyard Hole.
I have one of those big ones in my basement. It was a freebie from the people who lived here before me. it's mounted on the wall. :thumb:

I could make buckets of tinder with that thing..

Might even try Leyland Cypress tree branches, since they contain alot of oils and burn very well..

·
Registered
924 Posts
It took a lot of self control to not post something snarky about using the chubby rodents bedding to tinder a fire so he could be roasted slowly and enjoyed with a good Merlot!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts