Survivalist Forum banner

Pilot Bread aka Hardtack as a Prep?

1K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Aceoky 
#1 ·
I kept getting this ad from Amazon on my feed so I looked it up. Dates back to the American Revolution or longer, stores very well, could see it floating in soup from the eternal pot in my MAG. Potentially. What do you guys think? Possible hard times meal stretcher?

#2 ·
Hard to say what you are seeing on Amazon without the link.
Best guess:
Rock Hard "crackers" that you Can Not just eat plain.
Basically Flour & Salt.
Been around forever.
Lots of recipes all over the web to make your own.
Several entries if you put "hard tack" in the Search Community bar.

Also, research Pemmican.
Colonial Days long term trail food. Made from Fat, Nuts, Berries.

#3 ·
Yeah, I used to make that too. One of the few palatable versions of venison for me, personally. I was thinking about adding cinnamon and brown sugar to the batter, maybe some vanilla extract, and arranging large marble sized dough balls on a baking sheet, as trail food. Something to augment gorp, peanuts and ramon bombs as road rations. Wanted to tap into the hive mind first though to skip freshman errors.

#5 ·
Why not?..Its easy, cheap and lasts forever if kept dry…OTOH Mtn House sells #10 cans of ‘Pilot Bread’…about 70 crackers per can..I bought a case,6 cans, gave me over 400 crackers sealed forever…I also caught a MRE component sale and bought 300 pks of MRE crackers…Put them in totes…Either/or..

#9 ·
Im going to try making some. Thanks for the post.

Hardtack recipe (Survivalbread)

• 2 Cups – All Purpose Flour – 240 grams – Do not use self-rising flour
  • 3/4 Cup – Water – 175 milliliters
  • 1 1/2 Teaspoons – Salt – 7.5 millilitersOptional but salt acts as a natural preservative.
    • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    • Mix the flour, water and salt in a bowl.
    • After mixing completely, the dough should be a little dry (and not stick to your fingers).
    • If your mix is still too sticky, you can add more flour in small increments until the dough is dry enough.
    • Use a roller to spread out the dough on a counter, large cutting board, etc. until it reaches a thickness of roughly 1/3 to 1/2 inches.
    • To prevent sticking to the counter or cutting board, you should spread a little flour on the surface before rolling the dough. Also spread a little flour on top of the dough to prevent the roller from sticking to the dough.
    • Cut the dough into squares (i.e. 3 inch squares). You can create square hardtack “biscuits” by cutting the dough horizontally & vertically on a large cutting board.
    • Poke narrow holes in the hardtack biscuits with a chopstick or fork. The holes should go all the way through to the other side of the hardtack. This prevents the hardtack from puffing up.
    • Place the hardtack biscuits on a baking sheet/tray.
    • Put the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
    • Flip the hardtack over with a spatula and bake for another 30 minutes.

#15 ·
Cheaper to get Matzos. The factory ones are square like very large crackers/ They are made from flour, water and salt. They are cooked within 18 minutes of the water added to the flour so it does not rise from any naturally occuring yeast in the air. It worked for the Jews leaving Egypt. Actually doesnt taste bad. You can definitely get used to them. AND you dont chip your teeth on them either. Will keep forever if kept dry.

#17 ·
Didnt the tribe spread manna from heaven on thiers during thier desert tour?

Sorry, one of my close buddies grew up in the City in a very Jewish family who were also very Reformed. Your basic survivor spectrum, according to them. Their preferred weapon was humor and sarcasm, which I love too. Off topic again, my apologies to all here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.