Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone see the TV specials on the explosion of the feral pig population? Supposedly they number in the millions now. Maybe that will help with the food supply soon.

·
JesusLvsU
194 Posts
Sounds like a good time for an old-fashioned pig-roastin' to me. ;)

Seriously...I do think that it would help the food supply. Have heard some of them lil piggies get pretty big around here (TN) though...and are supposed to be mean.

Anyone ever came across one or killed a wild boar? Just curious as to whether their aggressive temperament is all that they say. Hope not.

·
camps in trees
2,068 Posts
They are getting pretty bad down south. Our game and fish has actually started us allowing to kill them on sight and just leave them. While walking around my property today I noticed some new signs and its time to set out the traps. Anybody up for bacon and fried pig skins?

Anyone ever came across one or killed a wild boar? Just curious as to whether their aggressive temperament is all that they say. Hope not.
They are not the blood thirsty savages they are made out to be on TV but they are not afraid to charge you and will rip you open with those tusks while trying to get away. You get cornered and see if you won't do everything you can to escape. Most of the time you have to really hunt them cause they have good eyes, hearing, and noses and will scatter if they get a trace of ya. Its just the new terror of the woods, remember last year when the snakehead fish was gonna take over and kill everything out?

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,103 Posts
Wild hogs are one of the few big game species that could survive an onslaught of newly motivated, but unskilled hunters.
While it will require better fencing for gardens and crops, it will likely provide a welcome source of meat.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Actually, Columbus brought over the first pigs to North America. They were "domestic" pigs and mostly allowed to run free. A few mating pairs went feral and wild pigs have spread out across North America from there. All North American wild pigs owe heritage to those from Columbus's visit.

They've managed to extend their range coast to coast and as far north as the snow belt (so far).

As for the "pig bomb" -
Wild Pig populations in North America were growing at a consistant, controllable rate from Columbus up til the 1990s. Something in the 1990s changed and the population bomb went off.

There are a variety of theories and reasons why the bomb went off, but it's actually somewhat related to gun control and hunting restrictions in various states.

Wild Pigs left with a decent food source and left alone can double their population every 6 months. Considering they can eat about anything and gun laws and hunting rules restrict proper culling, they expect the population to spread as far north as Wisconsin within the next decade.

You'd have to kill 7 of 10 adult breeding age wild pigs yearly just to hold the population at its current levels.

·
Registered
277 Posts
How about some of our Texas members sound off?

I've read that Texas pretty much has open season on Wild pig?

If you've got land you need culled, sign me up! Wife and I are actually considering a Texas vacation this fall to visit some distant friends/family and we're hoping to bring home a couple coolers full of wild pig!

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Hogs are all over the place in east Texas. These pictures were taken with my trail camera.

And then I talk about hunting after some kind of long term shtf situation

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts

If you've got land you need culled, sign me up! Wife and I are actually considering a Texas vacation this fall to visit some distant friends/family and we're hoping to bring home a couple coolers full of wild pig!
its prettymuch open season on them here in AR. so long as there is a gun season open pig season is aswell. its bad enough that in the areas that do have pigs around here the game and fish will tell u to shoot them and if u dont want them let em lay. of course i wouldnt wanna spoil good pork. its also legal to spotlight hogs so long as u are on private land. i have been itching to get the sks out and make it rain on sum pork for a while

·
Founder
16,867 Posts

The majority of the 50 states have an open season on hogs.

Texas has a 24/7/365 open season on wild hogs, and by any legal means. Meaning, you can use pistol, shotgun, spear, knife, and at midnight with a q-beam to hunt wild hogs.

·
camps in trees
2,068 Posts

Pretty sure they have the same season we have here (i'm only 3 1/2 hours from the AR/TX line and 3 from the AR/LA line). They are good eating if you are just shooting them you just want to aim at the smaller ones or females. The boars are the big ones to brag about but are gamey and not worth eating unless you live catch and castrate them for a few months before killing. I've been hog hunting since I was a kid.

·
1,313 Posts
We do have a bunch (Here in Texas) and they tear up a yard/garden in a heart beat. Come on down there's plenty of wild hog to be had. BTW I carry a hand gun when I hunt hogs, along with my long gun.. They "will" charge you. Their tusk are razor sharp.

·
camps in trees
2,068 Posts
its prettymuch open season on them here in AR. so long as there is a gun season open pig season is aswell. its bad enough that in the areas that do have pigs around here the game and fish will tell u to shoot them and if u dont want them let em lay. of course i wouldnt wanna spoil good pork. its also legal to spotlight hogs so long as u are on private land. i have been itching to get the sks out and make it rain on sum pork for a while
If on private land pretty sure you can gun hunt them with whatever you want now. The rules changed so much on them this last year its hard to keep up with. I agree its sad to see people let all that meat go to waste. Most of them are just the gun crazy nutcases that just want to be out to shoot at something.

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
The majority of the 50 states have an open season on hogs.

Texas has a 24/7/365 open season on wild hogs, and by any legal means. Meaning, you can use pistol, shotgun, spear, knife, and at midnight with a q-beam to hunt wild hogs.
sounds like we need a tri-state pig slaughter get to gether type thing

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
yeah its a big story in ky the population has exploded i hear , but turky hawks black bear too, deer population increasing is a old story here. also last week pelicans in my area .thats got everyone scratching thier heads.

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
yeah its a big story in ky the population has exploded i hear , but turky hawks black bear too, deer population increasing is a old story here. also last week pelicans in my area .thats got everyone scratching thier heads.
strange havent heard of other population booms, these dang pigs turn out a litter up to 3 times a year, they are like roaches

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yummo. I've cooked (slow smoke/roast - hickory and apple) at least 12 whole pigs (domestic) each year over the past 3 years.

I've never had wild boar or wild pig, although I've read many good things.

If we lived in an area with them and open season, my freezer would be full right now.

OK, enough forums, think I should fire up a smoker and do some pork ribs or something!

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
The hogs that i kill every year down in GA(at the same place Pig Bomb was filmed) usually get turned into brats, salami, smoked ham,breakfast sausage and loins. The little ones get split down the middle and put in the smoker

I make sure to soak the meat for at least 3 days before i bring it to the processor

I rank it right up there w/ wild turkey as far as taste

no limit

no season

and they love corn piles......

1 - 20 of 84 Posts