Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Been trying to find a job. Been trying since December 2020. I got three offers.

- fly to Brampton, Ontario on my dime to work for $17.75/hour. How about no?

- same but $18/hour. Same answer.

- do night shifts here for $16/hour. Living wage here was last reported at $20/hour, in 2019. It's probably more like $22/hour now, at least. Same answer. (Living wage in Brampton is about $35/hour, if anyone was wondering.)

I'm not exactly sure what's going on with this make believe labor shortage but here I am. Hi. I can drive truck. Liquid, fuel, freight, high security, shunting, whatever you like.

Anyways, off to college then. I guess I'll take my fair wage using tax dollars. That hurts. It hurts me personally. It goes against my beliefs but here we are.

I make situation worse now. Sorry. I do crappy things when I'm backed into a corner I wasn't prepared for. How was I supposed to prepare for this, or even foresee it?

Is this propaganda or what? Why is there a pretend labor shortage?

·
Registered
617 Posts
At last, notes from a real person's point of view- how did we get here? I have been working overtime straight through the scamdemic, with no end in sight.
But lots of people do not want to work - thats why all the Help Wanted signs everywhere- also why the local WalMart shut down the deli the other day and turned the lights out- no one showed up to work. They sit on their a$$, sucking MY free air....
Yes, it takes money to live, and thrive. Good luck to you- at least you have the right attitude!!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Not sure what it pays up there or if it's a possibility for you, but if you can drive truck have you checked out the oil or gas industry? The field in general typically pays well down here in the states. Best of luck on your search. I know it's gotta be hard.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure what it pays up there or if it's a possibility for you, but if you can drive truck have you checked out the oil or gas industry? The field in general typically pays well down here in the states. Best of luck on your search. I know it's gotta be hard.
Oil and gas appears to be rebirthing itself but slowly. It's at 70 something per barrel so there's tons of job ads.

If and when it hits a hundred per barrel, greed will take over. All pretences will be dropped. Fly in/fly out of new guys will begin again. I'm technically a new guy.

But yes oil and gas is also claiming there is a shortage of workers. ALL oil and gas companies with Alberta want ads active have my resume on their desk. I've put out over a thousand applications. I've lost track. I had to keep track as much as possible for the government retraining program. I have two inches deep of pages of documentation of my applications (6 applications per page).

I have an impressive driving CV with sterling references which I have checked using a professional agency ($35 per check). There's something not cool happening but I'm not sure what.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

- do night shifts here for $16/hour. Living wage here was last reported at $20/hour, in 2019. It's probably more like $22/hour now, at least. Same answer. (Living wage in Brampton is about $35/hour, if anyone was wondering.)

I'm not exactly sure what's going on with this make believe labor shortage but here I am. Hi. I can drive truck. Liquid, fuel, freight, high security, shunting, whatever you like.

Anyways, off to college then. I guess I'll take my fair wage using tax dollars. That hurts. It hurts me personally. It goes against my beliefs but here we are.

I make situation worse now. Sorry. I do crappy things when I'm backed into a corner I wasn't prepared for. How was I supposed to prepare for this, or even foresee it?

this is a life lesson for you. every moment of every day this is to remind you that your dollars are like your children to be taken care of. do not spend unwisely. you put your money away for a rainy day because one day you wake up and it s raining. if you re hungry enough you take the job you re offered.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Come to SW Sask lower living costs and everyone needs workers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts