Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
To keep and arm bears
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....Been gone for a while, quite frankly because I tire of all the incessant B.S. and personal attacks on this site, but in keeping with the spirit of being prepared and survival, I thought I would share some photos of my shelter with those of you who might be interested. This shelter was fabricated from a new, 1500 gallon septic tank and all back-hoe, grading and everything-else work was done by myself. The shelter has room for 6-8 adults, room in the back for a good supply of preps ( food, water, what have you ) and I will post the finished pics as soon as they are available. The finished shelter has a locking, 16 gauge steel door, painted floor and is hidden from prying eyes with the application of natural flora and planted grasses.If you have any questions,I'll be glad to share any info that you might need. Total cost was around $1200.00 ( but that took a lot of hard work I assure you....; )

Attachments

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Hant Yo, a lot of hard work, indeed! But it looks like it was well done and will be well worth the investment in planning, work and funds!
VERY nice job!:thumb:

·
To keep and arm bears
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hant Yo, a lot of hard work, indeed! But it looks like it was well done and will be well worth the investment in planning, work and funds!
VERY nice job!:thumb:
Thanks Lamb.......nearly killed my danged self moving all those rocks........lmao. Actually, it turned out better than expected.......more room than I first thought it would have........kids have named it the "Bat Cave"......:)

·
Banned
742 Posts
Impressive work. Can't wait to see the interior shots. Any thoughts about camoflaging it?

For what it's worth, I think this site has the least amount of personal attacks I've seen on any high-traffic site. People here are generally respectful of differing opinions and typically don't offer criticism unless they also offer a solution.

If you want to see some hard-core sniping, go to www.pirate4x4.com.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,470 Posts
Hanta Yo, that's a great shelter, and a great thread. Glad to see you haven't given up on the board completely. Things are getting better, and I for one hope you stay around. I always liked your post's.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Very nice.
Have always wanted to do some underground projects, but alas our water table is too high here. Even a root cellar is out of the question.
.....................................Alaskan.....Dennis......

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hanta Yo,
Thanks for taking the time to poat the pictures. The shelter is fantastic. Alot of planning and hard work to be sure.
I appreciate you letting us in on the finished product.
Is the air duct filtered ? Is the door sealed to avoid penetration of rediation/ gas/ and bio hazards ?

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Awesome job Hanta Yo. I have something similarly planned for later.

One criticizingly honest question though. (and I am sure that I know the answer already) Why did you not bury the whole thing with some sort of L shaped tunnel leading to it which would block radiation? I would think that it was just simply a mater of cost or labor. Something is better than nothing.

I would suggest some weeds and other foliage for camouflage.

Again Awesome job....... The Bat cave, I love it.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Good work Hanta Yo.
What does the inside look like and how big?
What is the switch/ thermostat in the fore ground of the pics\/

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Good job there Bud.:thumb:

Have you got another way out of your shelter,like a tunnel leading into the woods.?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Good work Hanta Yo.Its so simple yet brilliant.

Reactions: Hanta Yo 252

·
To keep and arm bears
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Impressive work. Can't wait to see the interior shots. Any thoughts about camoflaging it?

For what it's worth, I think this site has the least amount of personal attacks I've seen on any high-traffic site. People here are generally respectful of differing opinions and typically don't offer criticism unless they also offer a solution.

If you want to see some hard-core sniping, go to www.pirate4x4.com.
Only camoflage it has is natural ( trees and such )

No comment on the personal attacks ( that is your opinion and I respect and defend it )

No thanks on viewing the hard-core sniping.......seen enough, thanks.

·
To keep and arm bears
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hanta Yo,
Thanks for taking the time to poat the pictures. The shelter is fantastic. Alot of planning and hard work to be sure.
I appreciate you letting us in on the finished product.
Is the air duct filtered ? Is the door sealed to avoid penetration of rediation/ gas/ and bio hazards ?

Air duct is filtered and currently working on door seal............just installed door this week and waiting on some other items to finish it.....:)

·
To keep and arm bears
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome job Hanta Yo. I have something similarly planned for later.

One criticizingly honest question though. (and I am sure that I know the answer already) Why did you not bury the whole thing with some sort of L shaped tunnel leading to it which would block radiation? I would think that it was just simply a mater of cost or labor. Something is better than nothing.

I would suggest some weeds and other foliage for camouflage.

Again Awesome job....... The Bat cave, I love it.
Well, rolling the dice so to say in the event of nuclear event, went with the time / distance mentality. As you said, something is better than notihng and this was built primarily for a storm / tornado shelter. If I can see the flash, hear the bang and still be able to say, " What was that?" , I suppose I can deal with the fallout....lol. I live pretty far out from any major targets......so......we'll have to see when and if that happens.

I have "hidden' the whole project by planting/sowing high growing ground cover around it........just looks like a field.....;)

·
To keep and arm bears
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good work Hanta Yo.
What does the inside look like and how big?
What is the switch/ thermostat in the fore ground of the pics/

More pics coming........switch in foreground is a power meter.......nothing to do with the "Bat Cave".....:)

1 - 20 of 129 Posts