Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a couple of pics of my soon-to-be garden. It is 15x30. It should be enough space to grow a decent amount of food. It will be feeding 2 adults and 2 kids. Comments?
The last 2 pics are of my possible chicken coop project. I just need to convince the wife first. One is a pic of where I will put the coop. It is adjacent to the garden. I might make a covered connection between the coop and garden so I can let the chickens into the garden to eat bugs. IDK. The 2nd is what I might use for the coop. It is a chain link dog kennel. I was thinking I could add chain link for the roof and build an actual coop inside it. I think I will only need 2 or 3 chickens. Comments?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Very nice FL. Do you know yet what you are going to grow. Also, why so much fencing in what looks to be an already fenced yard - which critters are you protecting against?

BTW, that's one funny looking little black chicken...

Cheers,
-Per.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice FL. Do you know yet what you are going to grow. Also, why so much fencing in what looks to be an already fenced yard - which critters are you protecting against?

BTW, that's one funny looking little black chicken...

Cheers,
-Per.
LOL! That little black chicken is one of the reasons for the fence around the garden. We have 2 Pugs and 1 big mix-breed dog. They all like to dig. Don't want them digging in the garden. Not sure what all I am going to grow. Depends on the time of year that I get everything in place. I still have to finish putting up the fencing and modify my irrigation system for the garden. Also, I am a landscaper and country boy, and Dad always had a big garden when I was a kid, but I don't know a whole bunch about growing vegetables. I am researching and learning though.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Looks like a good start. My recs:

Throw a ton (or more) of manure into that sandy soil. Looks like it could use lots of organic matter.

You'll need a roof on the dog kennel if you're going to use it for a chicken coop.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
Looking good!
Florida right?,....still time to get a fall garden in. Hurry!
Family of 4, get at least 4 to 6 pullets(young hens),.....less noise for the neighbors, and a dozen eggs every 2 to 3 days. I'm partial to Rhode Islands.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a good start. My recs:

Throw a ton (or more) of manure into that sandy soil. Looks like it could use lots of organic matter.

You'll need a roof on the dog kennel if you're going to use it for a chicken coop.
I had planned on putting some manure down. My Mom has a horse, so I can get all that I need. If anyone else is around here and wants free manure just let me know and we can go get some.
If I use that kennel, I will put a chain link roof on it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking good!
Florida right?,....still time to get a fall garden in. Hurry!
Family of 4, get at least 4 to 6 pullets(young hens),.....less noise for the neighbors, and a dozen eggs every 2 to 3 days. I'm partial to Rhode Islands.
I don't think I will have enough time but I will try. What can I plant right now?

4 - 6 pullets it is then. I wasn't planning on getting a rooster because of the noise.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
I don't think I will have enough time but I will try. What can I plant right now?

4 - 6 pullets it is then. I wasn't planning on getting a rooster because of the noise.

Whatever the family likes.
Some suggestions:
Look for plants for the following at garden centers or feed store:
Onion sets
broccoli
cabbage

These can still be started from seeds there:
mustard greens
lettuces
carrots
radishes
turnips

There's more, but these will give you an ideal on cool weather crops.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whatever the family likes.
Some suggestions:
Look for plants for the following at garden centers or feed store:
Onion sets
broccoli
cabbage

These can still be started from seeds there:
mustard greens
lettuces
carrots
radishes
turnips

There's more, but these will give you an ideal on cool weather crops.
Cool, Thanks!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts